IGNORED

Intellivision mod experts. What is this?

Rev

These are actually the composite kits I prefer to use on the Model 1 Intellys. I've tried a few other boards and while they work, the Turkey boards have been the most consistent in picture quality for me. I just wish they didn't take so long to ship. I haven't tried any of their other AV board kits so I can't speak for how well those are.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been able to purchase the the mod's from Turkey in the past 6 months?  I have tried but PayPal is bouncing attempts to pay because of an issue on his end.  What happens is that I add the mod's to my eBay cart, pay for it, eBay displays a 'success / thank you' for buying it, and then a hour later I get en email saying the payment didn't go through.  I have successfully bought via eBay before and after from other sellers without issue.

Messages I've sent the seller have gone unanswered.  Considering this seller also has no feedback in the past month and the feedback rate has dropped off significantly in the past 6 months, I am concerned this seller is no longer in business.  ?

Has anyone else had luck purchasing or contacting the seller lately?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172262439898

Yes that definitely looks like a version of the composite kit produced by retro_mood (eBay name) in Turkey. Good reliable kit, compatible with PAL and NTSC.

As for other options for composite kits, here are the ones that come to mind...

Has anyone tried the Retrofixes kit? Here: https://store.retrofixes.com/products/intellivision-composite-upgrade-amp-kit-coming-soon

Otherwise, there are schematics by Solarfox for a simple AV mod, I've heard varying results with this mod (from good results, to jailbars/dark picture). It wouldn't be too difficult to lay out PCB's and have them printed for this mod. Here: http://solarfox.triluminary.net/hwh_intvav_p4.php

- J

Edited by HunterZero

13 hours ago, HunterZero said:

I have tried this kit several times. This kit seems to mimic the Turkey made kit with the exact same components just on a smaller and differently laid out PCB. There is another kit I also tried once from an ebay seller, but had various issues with that kit. It too seemed to mimic the kit from Turkey, but used all SMD components and was on a white PCB. But it was a very hit and miss setup. I ordered like 3 of the kits and one only produced a black n white picture while the other two worked but there was delay before the picture would come up of a second or 2. It was very strange...

But the Retrofixes kits are good and are what I would order now if the guy in Turkey is no longer in business.

Since a number of folks have bought various mods (most based on the same circuit) but then complained about the colors being off, I'm just looking for the one that has the best reviews.  I personally don't need perfect colors, just "close enough".  I could build my own from scratch (using the existing schematic) but right now I have other things on my plate so a good no-fuss composite mod would be ideal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 11:50 AM, Lathe26 said:

Since a number of folks have bought various mods (most based on the same circuit) but then complained about the colors being off, I'm just looking for the one that has the best reviews.  I personally don't need perfect colors, just "close enough".  I could build my own from scratch (using the existing schematic) but right now I have other things on my plate so a good no-fuss composite mod would be ideal.

Just get one from Coolretrofixes. I just ordered from there a few weeks ago and received it within a week. 

On 12/2/2019 at 9:19 AM, mr_me said:

On 12/3/2019 at 6:56 AM, intvnut said:

I'm curious as well...  It looks like it's based on my mod, just from a rough eyeballing of the component count and mix.

Yes, it's basically the mod from the wiki.  The biggest difference is that it uses a 47 Ohm resistor instead of a 20 Ohm.  This results in a dimmer but more stable output.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Joe's circuit came up, did anyone see 8-bit guy's video where he attempted to use it AND also pull out the RF box and it wouldn't work?  He ended up putting the RF box back into the circuit and things started working.  For folks who know such things, what would need to be added to Joe's mod to be able to pull out the RF box?

On 11/30/2019 at 5:50 PM, Lathe26 said:

Since it looks like the seller Turkey stopped, what other composite mods have people tried out?

Just to follow up, the seller from Turkey messaged me back and he's back in business.

However, since I bought 3 Coolretrofixes.com composite kits, I'll be installing those.  I should know in a few days how well they work (I expect they will be just fine).

16 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

Just to follow up, the seller from Turkey messaged me back and he's back in business.

However, since I bought 3 Coolretrofixes.com composite kits, I'll be installing those.  I should know in a few days how well they work (I expect they will be just fine).

It is a new year...so this doesn't surprise me. The guy in Turkey told me that he can only take so much a year in PayPal before paying taxes on it I guess? So when he raised the prices of his kits on Ebay to crazy amounts, he did that on purpose to prevent people from purchasing anymore of them. I asked him why he didn't just simply stop taking in orders instead since raising the price didn't seem like a very smart idea to curtail purchases.

Anyway, it is now the new year and everything resets for him so maybe I should buy a few of his kits now...hmmm...