IGNORED

Cassette games/programs for use with the "keyboard component add on"

I was looking through a list of Intellivision games and it mentioned several cassette games/programs to be used with "keyboard component add on" and was wondering if they were referring to the ECS or the ill fated keyboard add on that Mattel initially planned on releasing.

My understanding was that they never really got past the test market for the add on and fewer than 1,000 units were produced? If I'm also not mistaken some of the planned peripheral releases were ultimately released for the Aquarius such as the cassette recorder and the printer. So I was just trying to figure out exactly what the six cassette based games/programs released were released for 

36 minutes ago, Intymike said:

There were only programs for the original keyboard component on cassette released.

For the ECS were a few games in Basic written. And I typed one of them in and saved it to tape.

Ironically enough I'm listening to the intellivisionaries podcast to just try and learn a little more and they just touched on this exact topic

It's not possible to distribute intellivision games through the ecs cassette tape interface.  It's ram is 8-bit and not capable of executing cp1610 code.  The ecs is known as the computer adapter or computer module but not referred to as the keyboard component.

According to blueskyrangers.com, 4000 keyboard components were produced.  Not sure how many were sold.  The keyboard component was expensive to manufacture and sold at a loss.  They barely released it to try and keep their promise of turning the intellivision in to a home computer.

Edited by mr_me

4 hours ago, silentshadow56 said:

So I was just trying to figure out exactly what the six cassette based games/programs released were released for 

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/keyboardsoftware.html has a list of EIGHT cassette based games/programs (plus the Basic Cartridge and some unreleased stuff) for the Keyboard Component.

And I have copies of all of these, so I know they exist.

23 hours ago, BSRSteve said:

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/keyboardsoftware.html has a list of EIGHT cassette based games/programs (plus the Basic Cartridge and some unreleased stuff) for the Keyboard Component.

And I have copies of all of these, so I know they exist.

Thanks! I know I've been asking a lot of questions on here the past couple days and I am trying to find the easily accessible information for myself so I appreciate the patience and helping me out as again this is just absolutely fascinating to me