IGNORED

Adventure Ponies - Atari XL/XE

Gibstov

I seriously want to throttle you, gibstov.

Am trying to get this onto an AtariMax cartridge for my daughter (she has no disk drive on her XEGS)

and I can't get this to load correctly on an AtariMax cartridge, either in XEX or ATR form, am guessing you're doing some silly stuff with RAM banking.

sigh.

@#(%@#%(@#

-Thom

I can't find any way to get up from the lowest part of the first level. I can't jump to a higher ledge, the teleport button has no discernible effect and when moving to the right I either get hurt by the triangle on the far right or fall down the hole. Any hints?

2 hours ago, tschak909 said:

I seriously want to throttle you, gibstov.

Am trying to get this onto an AtariMax cartridge for my daughter (she has no disk drive on her XEGS)

and I can't get this to load correctly on an AtariMax cartridge, either in XEX or ATR form, am guessing you're doing some silly stuff with RAM banking.

sigh.

@#(%@#%(@#

-Thom

Yeah, sorry about that.  I have an AtariMax cartridge myself, and can't get it to work either.

I think it may be due to turning of the OS, to copy the compressed level data under the OS.

So the load sequence: loads the compressed data, turns off the OS, copies the data to high RAM, then turns the OS back on and continues to load the rest of the game.  I think may be the issue.

I just don't know enough on how to troubleshoot it though.

3 minutes ago, slx said:

I can't find any way to get up from the lowest part of the first level. I can't jump to a higher ledge, the teleport button has no discernible effect and when moving to the right I either get hurt by the triangle on the far right or fall down the hole. Any hints?

You can only teleport on the teleport pads.  You have to jump over the hole, and then stand on the teleport pad and press the fire button.  This will teleport you up. (You can watch the video posted in the top post if you get stuck.  I play all the way through the game with Twilight)

3 minutes ago, Gibstov said:

You can only teleport on the teleport pads.  You have to jump over the hole, and then stand on the teleport pad and press the fire button.  This will teleport you up. (You can watch the video posted in the top post if you get stuck.  I play all the way through the game with Twilight)

Thanks, just found the video and learned how to teleport. Now it's my daughter's turn!

5 minutes ago, slx said:

Thanks, just found the video and learned how to teleport. Now it's my daughter's turn!

Awesome.  Another hint: Iron Will is invulnerable.  You have to wait until he charges, and then he is vulnerable for a few seconds and you can attack him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Philsan said:

It would be nice if you disable Basic to avoid the need to press Option key.

OK...I am looking into this and think I finally figured out what the issue is.

I am disabling BASIC, but the message comes up anyway about "Not Enough Memory" if you don't hold down the "OPTION" key.  This error message is generated by the CC65 "system check" load chunk. I kept the system check, because after the game loads I just use that area for the PMBASE.

After reading more about the system check I think I know what the issue is:

" This load chunk is always loaded at address $2E00, and checks if the system is suitable for running the program. It also checks if there is enough room between MEMLO and the program start address to move the text mode screen buffer there. If any of the checks return false, the loading of the program is aborted. The contents of this chunk come from the SYSCHKCHNK memory area of the linker config file. "

So even though I am disabling basic, the MEMLO has already been set by the OS on bootup.  So when the system check runs it doesn't think it has enough memory.

So I think the only way to remove this message is to get rid of the system check that CC65 generates.  (Or maybe target XL machines, but I think that makes CC65 manage the upper memory which would cause a major rewrite so I am not going down that route).

Stealth Edit

Or better yet I can just set MEMLO manually myself, before the system check runs

Edited by Gibstov
different solution
  • Like 2

Well,

I use that short Basic-off routine by Fandal in front of the program and thanks to it, I do not need to hold down Option on my 800XL with XL-OS Rev. 2  and the message also does not show up ($0400-447: switches off Basic, clears RAM under Basic, clears zero page; $0244-0244: Reset = coldstart, $0400-041E: screen=on, but shows black screen).  Attached a packed version of Adv. Ponies with this routine, which seems to work fine or at least shows the same bugs as the unpacked version...  ;-)

CLEARZP.XEX advpon_V086_Basoff.xex

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Well,

I use that short Basic-off routine by Fandal in front of the program and thanks to it, I do not need to hold down Option on my 800XL with XL-OS Rev. 2  and the message also does not show up ($0400-447: switches off Basic, clears RAM under Basic, clears zero page; $0244-0244: Reset = coldstart, $0400-041E: screen=on, but shows black screen).  Attached a packed version of Adv. Ponies with this routine, which seems to work fine or at least shows the same bugs as the unpacked version...  ;-)

CLEARZP.XEX 130 B · 1 download advpon_V086_Basoff.xex 23.45 kB · 7 downloads

Cool...thanks.  I'll check it out.

• 1 year later...

New version 0.88

Added a new version of Adventure Ponies.  I replaced the old music with new music created by the talented @Synthpopalooza.  There is another tune, that I couldn't fit but I will try to fit it in another update.  Hope you all enjoy the new tunes. ?

----- Find it here ----

advponies.0.88.xex

advponies.0.88.atr

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Nice improvements, thanks!

When recording a video, I would use emulator normal overscan setting, the overscan area you see on real TV/monitors.

Extended overscan                                                 Normal overscan

Extended.png.756d9ab5fc46d6050bc04624368ce999.png  Normal.png.e40a0f758d0ac1406d1338fdc149783b.png

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think about the overscan, but did notice that the screen looked larger in the video.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, adam1977 said:

Thank you so much for the new version, my Daughter will be very happy! ?

On 12/19/2020 at 4:51 PM, Probabilitydragon said:

My kids love it! :D 

New version 0.89

- Replaced the old sound fx with new sound fx created by  @Synthpopalooza

- Added the new tune to the Pony Select screen (Cutie Mark Crusaders Go Crusading).

- Other changes to sound code so NTSC/PAL versions play at the same speed.

- Changes to scoring.  If you can beat the game with a Pony without losing any lives, get a bonus 9000 points for "PERFECT GAME".

----- Find it here ----

advponies.0.89.xex

advponies.0.89.atr

• Like 6