IGNORED

Which Atari 7800 games are to one you love most, and why these?

Giles N

Asteroids.  This is my favorite arcade game and was the reason I purchased a 7800.  The 7800 version looks, sounds and plays just like the arcade game when paired with a Starplex controller.  BTW, if you own a 7800, you should check out Asteroids   Deluxe by Pac Man Plus.  All the elements of Asteroids Deluxe are included, as well as a hidden version of the original game, making this an incredible 2 in 1 purchase.

Robotron 2084  Very smooth gameplay with an amazing amount of objects on screen at one time.  Add an Edladdin Super Twin 78 controller and you will truly bring home the arcade experience.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Asteroids.  This is my favorite arcade game and was the reason I purchased a 7800.  The 7800 version looks, sounds and plays just like the arcade game when paired with a Starplex controller.  BTW, if you own a 7800, you should check out Asteroids   Deluxe by Pac Man Plus.  All the elements of Asteroids Deluxe are included, as well as a hidden version of the original game, making this an incredible 2 in 1 purchase.

Robotron 2084  Very smooth gameplay with an amazing amount of objects on screen at one time.  Add an Edladdin Super Twin 78 controller and you will truly bring home the arcade experience.

Robotron 2084 is indeed very, very good.

Except for Arcade-ports for later 6-7th gen. systems, is it the best out there ported for home-systems?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Asteroids is built into the European (PAL) version.’

Am not that familiar with the details of the Arcade.

But it looks much better than the 5200 version.

For me 

Pole Position 2 was the number 1 reason to get the system, but I was really curious on Motor Psycho, Commando, Ikari Warriors, Double Dragon, Rampage, Fatal Run, Mario/Donkey-games, F 18 which looked massively impressive for an 8-bit system, Scrapyard Dogs awakened my curiosity for how Atari wanted to compete with Super Mario...

At first I ‘Ninja ... Golf’; was like «whats that... Ninjas and... Golf...»?

Then I just got it and played it, and catched the drift of the action-comedy-thing, and now its like 9,5 out of 10.

Instead of shooting at other ... ninjas with shurikens... as in Shinobi... you get to deal with an actual oriental dragon ... protecting the golf court...

...and if you lose... your honor is so utterly destroyed, theres only one solution; try again.  

Thats just so awesomely cool take on it all.

And it plays gorgeous, have several parallaxes, its colorful like an arcade, and  just has that satisfying feel to the combat.

Edited by Giles N

11 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

While I absolutely think this is the single best home port of Asteroids, to say it looks and sounds just like the arcade game is wrong. It looks and sounds BETTER than the arcade game.  Arcade perfect doesn't mean that a port is the best port out there.

That having been said, Asteroids Deluxe by PMP is arcade perfect, and is also amazeballs.

• Like 4

Asteroids, Robotron 2084, Food Fight and Xevious really shined from the get-go.  Maybe they weren't what gamers already enamored with the NES wanted, but for those of us who still loved classic arcade games and enjoyed the "game variations" Atari traditionally added to their ports, these games were excellent additions to the Atari library.  Ballblazer also got a lot of play from me back in the day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

Asteroids, Robotron 2084, Food Fight and Xevious really shined from the get-go.  Maybe they weren't what gamers already enamored with the NES wanted, but for those of us who still loved classic arcade games and enjoyed the "game variations" Atari traditionally added to their ports, these games were excellent additions to the Atari library.  Ballblazer also got a lot of play from me back in the day.

Yeah it's a shame. I'm not into the next generation of games that dominate the NES library as I prefer the classics. The few that were released for the NES like DK, Mario Bros and Popeye were excellent.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Food Fight. Probably my favorite home port of any classic arcade game. 

I got Food Fight in the mail today, but the cartridge wouldn’t work...

I inserted out and in many times to possibly remove corrosion but still. after the Atari-logo (which displays as it should), it all gets just blurry black and white-lines...

But I’ll probably a get a new one, if isopropanol cleaning won’t work it.

11 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

Remember that the 7800 also had some ports of typical NES-era games:

-Commando

-Ikari Warriors

-Rampage

-Double Dragon

-Kung Fu Master

-Xenophobe

It was just that the NES versions tended to be better (Commando is probably better on the 7800, since it retains more of the Arcade background, and the crash detection is better, and very little or no flickering. Xenophobe - hm, never played the Arcade nor the NES-version, I kind of liked the 7800 version).

Edited by Giles N

13 hours ago, Giles N said:

Remember that the 7800 also had some ports of typical NES-era games...

Yes, but those came later, when Atari (and Activision) realized the 7800 needed such titles to compete with the NES.  And yet the irony is, with the possible exception of Double Dragon, players weren't really flocking to the NES for those games either, not when things like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania were available.

It has the best version of seminal classic Joust. I would pick 7800 Joust over arcade Joust every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Arcade Joust sucks compared to 7800 joust.

The only port that comes close is the XE version. Same great gameplay and perfect physics...lesser graphics. I grew up playing the 8 bit version. I love it to death, and thought THAT one was better than the arcade as a kid (it is). When I found the 7800 and its' Joust....I almost plotzed.

• Like 6

I'm going Non-homebrew here...

After thinking it through, I've been playing Asteroids, Robotron, Food Fight and Ikari Warriors the most. 

For Robotron, I built a crude wooden coupler for the painline controllers.  Thinking about doing a CX 40 one (It's hard to do woodworking without many power tools.)

Asteroids is hands down the best home version of the game, and probably the best first party arcade conversion ever. The rotating asteroids and misc. sound effects, coupled (unintended Space Duel pun) with the many two player options makes it a LOT of fun. 

Food Fight..  Well, there's only two home versions.  The 8-bit computer version sucks.  That having been said, if there were more home versions, the 7800 would still probably be the best.  I'm of the opinion that the 7800 was built to be a machine primarily to play Food Fight, as the company the created Food Fight also created the 7800 - GCC.  

Ikari Warriors - I just find this overhead run N gun plain fun. Yeah, it could have benefitted from some polishing, but it's fun as hell. The death animations could be a bit better(I know they're trying to mimic the arcade,) and it sure could have benefitted from POKEY sound, but I feel Atari (or whoever programmed it) did a phenomenal job capturing the essence of the arcade game.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 7:55 PM, Atari_Warlord said:

I bought the system for the classic arcade ports and they are still my favorites (Asteroids, Centipede, Joust, Food Fight, Dig Dug, Galaga, Xevious).  I especially enjoyed that they added two player simultaneous options to some of them.

Which ones of these have 2P simultaneous...?

On 8/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, GoldenWheels said:

It has the best version of seminal classic Joust. I would pick 7800 Joust over arcade Joust every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Arcade Joust sucks compared to 7800 joust.

The only port that comes close is the XE version. Same great gameplay and perfect physics...lesser graphics. I grew up playing the 8 bit version. I love it to death, and thought THAT one was better than the arcade as a kid (it is). When I found the 7800 and its' Joust....I almost plotzed.

How is the 7800 version better than the Arcade (I haven´t played the arcade, and did not come across it as a kid)?

On 8/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, FujiSkunk said:

Yes, but those came later, when Atari (and Activision) realized the 7800 needed such titles to compete with the NES.  And yet the irony is, with the possible exception of Double Dragon, players weren't really flocking to the NES for those games either, not when things like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania were available.

Fair ´nough...

I looked at YouTube gameplay of Xenophobe for NES; the A7800 version was in my view lots better. But I think here the Amstrad home-computer got it most right (don´t know how it plays though, while I actually think the Xenophobe 7800 plays fine, and has some satisfying alien-blasting).