IGNORED

Is there a database or list of PC’s?

Please be more specific. Are you looking for a list of every IBM PC compatbile/clone ever released since 1981? Would you want to include MS-DOS compatibles that aren't fully IBM PC compatible? I think the list would become very long, and possibly impossible to be complete but certainly the most notable models would be in the list.

I suppose you could start searching by manufacturer (including ones other than the obvious Compaqs, Tandys, and HPs of the world):

ALR (Advanced Logic Research)

AST

NEC (including the PC-88 and PC-98 lines)

Comtex

Daewoo

Packard Bell

Wang

Olivetti

Kaypro

Sanyo

Emerson

Dynalogic

Toshiba

IMS

BSR

Profex

Dolch

Digital

MPC

Leading Edge

SEGA (if you count the 80286 in the Teradrive).

Some more machines here:

https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/302/1188

https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/302/1186

https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/302/1189

https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/302/1197

You could also search by BIOS manufacturer:

American Megatrends

Phoenix

Award

etc...

Hmmm.... Not sure if BIOS manufacturers kept track of or listed their clients. Usually they'd look at things at the motherboard level. 

I had a thought though. You could do searches on ebay for DOS computers. And you could always glean issues of Byte and PC Magazine for ads and other listings of PCs from yesteryear. 

I suppose I should add the Mindset computer to that list above.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:19 PM, RichardElric said:

I’m wondering if there is a site or a few sites that record every PC’s out there. 

I'd say "no, there isn't," because every computer, even integrated proprietary stuff from companies like Apple, are a collection of parts from other manufacturers. 

What are you trying to do/learn/prove? That might be a more useful question. 

• Like 1

Find a site with information about old and new Personal Computers. I’ve been thinking about making a spreadsheet with every computer, but finding PC’s isn’t very easy. Best I’ve had is find the support sites and things like that, but it doesn’t list things like the release date.

Maybe if there was something like a complete buyer guide or a complete brochure from a manufacturer from a certain year, or heck even a price guide could help. 

Generally I think a site like Vogons might have the best support for vintage PCs, but I didn't spend more like three seconds trying to think about the subject. I'm sure with a set of qualified runs at the search engine, you will have a rough basis to work from, but expect to do much of the compiling and comparing work yourself.

Absolutely! While I can't pinpoint the reference, I once saw a review/roundup of concurrent PC compatibles and the Atari PC-1 was cheaper than the closest comparable noname system within the 8088 category. Probably though the Atari had fewer expansion options than a generic noname PC had.

Edited by carlsson