IGNORED

where are all the dockbus peripherals?

curtis

So, CC-40 peripherals are a bit unusual but most are findable. Not counting the wafertape which was never officially released.

On the dockbus side of the world the 324 printer can usually be found. The CI-7 cassette interface isn't impossible to find if you look.

However,  the potentially most useful peripheral is almost impossible to find. The PC Interface is almost a  unicorn.

Where are all the PCIF's?

Can't you just make the interface up from plans?  It's just a small PCB and parallel port interface, right?

I have attempted twice to design a dockbus peripheral, and the third time will be the charm, but I have to find some time to redo the code.  Bear with me...

Jim

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brain said:

Can't you just make the interface up from plans?  It's just a small PCB and parallel port interface, right?

I have attempted twice to design a dockbus peripheral, and the third time will be the charm, but I have to find some time to redo the code.  Bear with me...

Jim

If I wasn't as blind as a danged bat I would consider it.  Anymore even changing a battery requires me to turn on the illuminated magnifier and look at things under it!

This getting old thing REALLY sucks.

Converting to hexbus is pretty simple.  Or just build a dockbus to hexbus converter like I did several years ago.  It's nothing but wires and I  installed a battery pack for the peripherals that want their voltage supplied from the interface.

Here's the signal break out.  Numbering is looking at pins and counting from left to right.

Dockbus

Hexbus
DESCRIPTION              SIGNAL PIN SIGNAL PIN
System power distribution - output
PO 1*    
System power distribution - input PI  2*    
Data bit - least significant bit D0 3 D0 Data-LSB 1
Data bit D1 D1 Data 2
Data bit D2 5 D2 Data 7
Data bit - most significant bit D3 6 D3 Data-MSB 8
Handshake - I/O timing control line HSK 7 HSK           5
Bus Available - I/O Traffic control line BAV  8 BAV           3
System reset line RESET 9*    
Common Ground line GND 10     GND      4
      Protect GND 6*

NOTES:
1.  Remember, you're looking at PINS!
2. Pin numbers marked with an asterisk are not connected when Dockbus and HEX-BUS are interfaced.
However if connecting a CC-40 to Dockbus peripherals, you'll need the power lines!
3. Caution! Pin #1 of DOCK-BUS is at +6 volts, supplied by the TI-74.  Pin #2 is used to supply all 
DOCK-BUS peripherals from a common power supply. This is not supported by the CC-40 system.
4. The Protective Ground (pin #6 of the CC-40 HEX-BUS should not be joined to 
the floating reference power line (pin #10 of the Dockbus).
  • Like 1

OK, I am mailing out two units to each person who contacted me.  I am attaching the schematic and I implore folks to check it over before using the unit, as I don't want to be responsible for frying a peripheral.  The adapter requires a 2x4 right angle .1"x.1" header and a 1x10 .1" header.  You can use non right angle headers in a pinch.  If they work, I'll put them int he store for a few bucks assembled.  I cna also add a battery connector if that's of interest. Assuming they work, a small 3D printed case should be easy to create.  I'll leave that for someone else.

Jim

HexBusAdapter.png

HexBusAdapter Schematic.png

• Like 2

Got my adapter in today!  Will start playing this weekend.

One suggestion I have just upon initial examination, maybe a couple of mounting holes for when a case, with batteries, is designed.

Not a real high priority item, but could make it mounting a bit easier.

16 hours ago, Airshack said:

Interested to see what comes of this.

Maybe we can persuade Jim to offer a PC Interface module.  Couple that with the hex to dockbus adapter and the CC-40 will have a storage possibility along with a PC display function!

Do we need to have a survey to see what sort of things people would want for the 40 and it's cousin the TI-74?

First on my list would be a PCIF followed by a floppy drive and then get the SD card reader up and running for either the hexbus or dockbus.

Who's next with their wish list?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, brain said:

I'm not sure on "in the day" periupherals.  I have 2 partially completed attempts at an SD card interface, and I am embarking on the third try, which I believe will be successful.  If so, it can form the basis for a line of peripherals.

Jim

Keep plugging on that SD card.

Given the schematic for the PCIF is out there does that make it public domain now or is the big, nasty TI still clutching onto the rights for it?  You'd thing after so long they'd release it.

• Like 1