IGNORED

Skeptical of a copy of Doom

SmoothCriminalAaron

Hello,

(this is my first post).

I recently purchased a copy of Doom. I noticed it was slightly different than the photo posted on Ebay and I'm confident it's not the one in the photo. I'm okay with that, but I want to make sure it's a real game. The box seemed a little shinier than other Jaguar boxes and I'm afriad it's a reproductions. I spent about $160 (CAN) on it so I really want it to be 100% original. Is there anything I can do to make sure it's original? 

Also, I was not able to test out the cartridge because I had a water leak and had to box up all my consoles while they replace the carpet. 

IMG_20190730_215454.jpg

IMG_20190730_215502.jpg

Outside of games like Rayman, Atari Karts and maybe Alien v. Predator (CIB in particular), repros of Jaguar games are fairly uncommon, mainly due to manufacturing costs and ROI. Seems like you overpaid at $160 CAN based on recent CIB sales, but that's neither here nor there. It looks real to me. There are also lots of guys out there selling new old stock boxes, which also makes it unlikely the box is fake. The only guy making actual repro paper boxes is out of Croatia, so again, unlikely it's a repro. Finally, the cart label looks aged/worn, another sign it's real and not a fake.

• Like 3

Thanks all. I'm pretty sure it's real now. 

If you're still curious I added a bunch of new photos. https://imgur.com/a/XlEWboZ

Apparently the guy had two copies because he played co-op over the Atari Link and he sent me the other. 

I have seen repro boxes going up on Ebay. But I'm probably just being paranoid, because that IS the real cartridge. 

It was $160 including shipping from the US. This game is more of an investment, all more important it is real. 

Nobody is going to do reproductions of Doom anytime soon, there's loads of them around - probably every Jag owner bought Doom in the day and there are still plenty of them sealed and new for sale... I paid £30 for mine sealed and mint and brand new less than two years ago, think the price at Telegames UK is now £50 for sealed and new... The guy in Croatia sells repro boxes, but another seller in UK sells the original actual boxes - usually three boxes for £10, and he has Doom, Club Drive, Missile Command 3D and about ten others too - they are not the glossy ones, but seem totally the same as the original ones - he sells lots of Atari items (sealed Lynx games etc) so must have got them all somewhere years ago... Nobody will be pirating Doom anytime soon with the huge amount of them still available.

3 hours ago, madman said:

Jaguar games are excellent investments. I suggest cashing out your RRSP and buying Jag games.

Given the absolute rarity of Jaguar games (and hardware) in Canada and the pathetically low current interest rates on traditional investments, this may not actually be that bad of an idea...