IGNORED

MidSpace (Atari 2600)

atari2600land

Here is the beginning of a port of my Game Boy game I made to the 2600. The major difference here is that since I wanted to do it in assembly, and missiles are hard to move vertically, I have made the rocket move up and down. Left and right switch the way the rocket faces and shoots. The object is to shoot the pretzels before they reach the green center line. The faster you shoot the pretzels, the more points you earn. The red number in the upper left corner is the life counter. You get four lives to start with.

I have done a whole bunch of stuff on this today since I last posted in the 2600 Programming forum, so please take a look and tell me what you think.

midspace5a.zip

• Like 2

Added some Chex. (will call it 'cereal' in the final version.) If you touch the Chex with the rocket you get an extra 50 points. But if you let it go to the center you'll still die, but you can still shoot at it and get points, just not 50. By the way, I hope to have the Chex appear way less often in the final version (if there is one.)

midspace6.png.829be68af7e3c04b27398b9d9bac2712.png

I also fixed a bug about the number 7 not appearing properly, and I'm apparently at a place where I can put a whole bunch of code in without affecting the scanline count of what I have, because it didn't put up a fight when I added the Chex in.

midspace6.zip

• Like 2

I can't add a flash for the midline being hit. I tried for a few hours and all I was able to do was screw up the missile. And when the missile wasn't screwed up, the scanline count jumped from 262 to 263 a lot. Could someone look at and help me with that? The code is included in the zip file. I did however, discover and fix a bug about the Chex piece.

midspace8.zip

Heya @atari2600land! We'll be featuring Midspace on this coming Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch livestream!

As for suggestions:

1) There doesn't seem to be a ramp up in difficulty. You could get a super fast pretzel as your first enemy or a slow one. It should probably start with a slower range of enemies and then get faster as time goes on.

2) It's fairly agonizing waiting for slow 'cereal' pieces to reach your ship. You could set a speed minimum on those so you aren't tempted to shoot the slow ones just to get it over with. ;-)

3) More variety of enemies? You probably want to keep it simple and under 2k though.

I may have more suggestions after playing it on the show. ?

New changes:

+ I ramped up the difficulty. At the beginning, the pretzels move fairly slow (while still having random speeds), and then you get to the fastest speeds once 300 points is reached.

+ I made the cereal speed constant, so it's not agonizingly slow.

I could add more enemies but I don't know what they would be. I would like to add shooting pretzels but I want them to be a different color and I can't because the rocket's missile color is the same as the pretzel's color.

midspace10.zip

• Like 2

We'll be featuring Midspace LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Midspace (2019 WIP) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Laser Keyboard (2019 WIP) by Jesus Jimenez aka Jesús98
- Peril (2018 WIP Update) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc 

EDIT: Updated with Archive Video

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Changed the timing of when the enemy shoots his missiles. He can now shoot more than one, but WILL he? I also noticed the scanline counter jumped whenever reset was pressed. I fixed that. I now have 0 bytes left. It's funny because sometimes I got a message saying there was 1 bytes left. I guess they must not have been anticipating someone having 1 byte left. Or they didn't care about proper grammar.

midspace20.bin

• 3 weeks later...

Something made me think of this game, and I told myself, "You know, I bet if I really tried hard enough, I could fit the original title screen music in while maintaining the fact that the enemies shoot and all the stuff I added after I changed the title screen music."

This is the result.

midspace21.bin

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I think I fixed a bug I found pertaining to missiles and the Chex. If the rocket gets it, sometimes a missile would appear for a few nanoseconds, and if the rocket was touching it you'd hit it and lose a life. Let me know what you guys think of this latest version.

midspace22b.zip

• Like 1