IGNORED

10 Liner BASIC/XB contest VOTING POLL

Vorticon

10 Liner BASIC/XB Contest VOTING POLL  

19 members have voted

1. 1. TI BASIC Entries - VOTE FOR ONLY 1 ENTRY!

• TIP by digdugnate
    • SWAMP by tibasic
    • ALPHA 10 by theincrediblepeep
    • TOUCHDOWN by tibasic
  2. 2. Extended Basic Entries - VOTE FOR ONLY 1 ENTRY!

• CANNON by Adam Haase - TIXB
    • PYTHON by Adam Haase - TIXB
    • 10 LINER 49er by FarmerPotato - TIXB
    • BOAT BOMBER by Bones-69 - RXB
    • BLEEP 2019 by BleepBit - TIXB
    • MICRO TOWER by FarmerPotato - TIXB
    • MASTERMIND by lucien2 - TIXB
    • WOBBLE by Vorticon - TIXB
    • ADVENTURE by Samual Pedigo - TIXB
    • TETRAVEX by Senior Falcon - TIXB
    • TI GAME ENGINE X by kl99 - RXB
    • GLADIATOR by FarmerPotato - TIXB

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/17/2019 at 05:00 AM

Here's the official voting poll for the 10 liner Basic/XB programming contest. Please vote for 1 entry only in each category (TI Basic  and Extended Basic). Poll closes on Saturday August 17, 2019 at 12am Central Time (7am GMT).

Since I have an entry in the contest, I will exclude myself from voting.

The creativity at display here given the severe limitations imposed is mind-boggling. I am duly impressed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the images, SeniorFalcon, that made it easier for me to try them all out. :)

If anyone would like to see, I streamed my impressions on Twitch. Still working out how to use that thing properly and this was a good test. Split into two videos cause Classic99 locked up and I paused while I looked into that. https://www.twitch.tv/tursilion/videos

• Like 5

On 8/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, Tursi said:

Thanks for the images, SeniorFalcon, that made it easier for me to try them all out. :)

If anyone would like to see, I streamed my impressions on Twitch. Still working out how to use that thing properly and this was a good test. Split into two videos cause Classic99 locked up and I paused while I looked into that. https://www.twitch.tv/tursilion/videos

Love the videos! Hmm that sneaky python heard your disparagement of his programming language and crashed your emulator it seems... ;)

• Haha 1

Watching Tursi struggle with Tetravex made me realize that the instructions are not clear to someone who has never seen this game. This description should make it more clear:

"Tetravex is an edge-matching puzzle. The objective of the game is to move the tiles from the right hand grid to the empty grid on the left. Move the cursor with the ESDX keys. Press the space bar to mark the tile you want to move. Move the cursor to an empty position in either grid. Press the space bar to move the tile. In the left grid the numbers on adjacent faces of the tiles must match. The puzzle is solved when all the tiles are in the left hand grid. The game will then restart after a short pause."

• Like 3

Hello senior_falcon and all others,

To me your game was self-explaining. Unfortunately, I was just allowed to vote for only one program in the category "Extended Basic Entries". I would also have liked to give a vote for senior_falcon's program. Probably there should have actually been created three categories for the voting poll: The catergory "TI Basic" and the category "Extended Basic" as well as another one "RXB". I suppose that it is a little bit unfair to only have created one category "Extended Basic". 

Edited by MueThor
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, MueThor said:

Hello senior_falcon and all others,

To me your game was self-explaining. Unfortunately, I was just allowed to vote for only one program in the category "Extended Basic Entries". I would also have liked to give a vote for senior_falcon's program. Probably there should have actually been created three categories for the voting poll: The catergory "TI Basic" and the category "Extended Basic" as well as another one "RXB". I suppose that it is a little bit unfair to only have created one category "Extended Basic". 

In retrospect, you are probably right particularly after seeing kl99's exploits with RXB! Brilliant! Since I am considering making this a yearly contest with even better prizes, I think in the future there will indeed be 3 categories: TI Basic, TIXB and Other Basic (RXB or any other non-TI XB).

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 4:44 PM, Vorticon said:

In retrospect, you are probably right particularly after seeing kl99's exploits with RXB! Brilliant! Since I am considering making this a yearly contest with even better prizes, I think in the future there will indeed be 3 categories: TI Basic, TIXB and Other Basic (RXB or any other non-TI XB).

Can we include TI-99/2 and TI-99/8 Basic as allowed languages for the 3rd category next time?

Will it be established as a 10 liner contest each year?

7 hours ago, kl99 said:

Can we include TI-99/2 and TI-99/8 Basic as allowed languages for the 3rd category next time?

Will it be established as a 10 liner contest each year?

If a flavor of Basic can run on a TI 99/4A computer, then it will be allowed. And yes, the 10 line limit will remain. 

2 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

I wonder if a size limit of 1500 bytes would be better than a 10 line limit. This would encourage better programming.  The ten line limit leads to some really convoluted and ugly code.

That's the whole point of the exercise :) And it's a low enough bar to allow maximum participation for those with limited time.

• Like 2

1500 bytes didn't come from thin air. Here are the sizes of the XB entries:

BBOMBER        1370 bytes

BLEEP              1232 

CANON              825 

GAMENGINEX   1597

GLADIATOR      1142

LINER49ER       1243

MASTERMIND    1073

MICROTOWER     995

PYTHON            1246

TETRAVEX         1570

WOBBLE            1173

ADVENTURE         301

(MAX POSSIBLE  1640)

Adventure is a major outlier and if you eliminate that the average is 1224 bytes per program.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

The slackers around here.  I tell ya.

Thanks. Is it just me who think we have too many pinned threads? I think it should be limited to two: 'TI-99/4A development resources' in this forum and 'New to the group? TI-99/4A FAQ, Hardware and software resources READ FIRST!' in the other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

Thanks. Is it just me who think we have too many pinned threads? I think it should be limited to two: 'TI-99/4A development resources' in this forum and 'New to the group? TI-99/4A FAQ, Hardware and software resources READ FIRST!' in the other.

I agree—with one possible addition, viz., a second “Listing of Important Threads”, or some such, that lists links to important(?) threads (with cryptic, one-line descriptions) in a table-of-contents sort of way.

...lee

• Like 1