IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA

Newsdee

Ah geez, I started an individual thread on the Sega CD core news - sorry to all for not finding the news here. Another mention of Pezz though - he cracks me up and I adore his sense of comedy. I have no affiliation nor get paid to say it, but I highly suggest others here check out his channel, especially for MiSTER news, tips and tricks. 

1 hour ago, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

I started to feel interested on MiSTer FPGA thing, so this could be a really great substitute for RGB modded consoles.

It has some cores from retros like Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari 8-Bit Family, etc.

I would like to see the N64, PS1, and Saturn cores.

If you want real carts, it's not a good substitute. If you don't care about that (which I don't, certainly) then it's AMAZING value compared to RGB-modded consoles just covering what it already does.  NES, Genesis, SNES, Master System, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Neo Geo, tons of 8 and 16-bit computers, a bunch of arcade stuff (including Neo Geo), and all you've got to spend to get in is around $170 for the DE10-Nano, an OTG powered USB hub, and a 32 MB SDRAM card. Just over $200 if you decided to go with a 128 MB RAM card if you just gotta have 100% of the Neo Geo library (which I did, because I love Garou Mark of the Wolves and SVC Chaos). 

I went all out with my MiSTer build and it's still an insane value. 

$130 DE10 Nano

$80 Blisster board for no controller lag

$60 128mb ram board

$50 IO board

$60 on several Blisster adapter cables 

$15 on M3 standees

$40 on Legos to build a modular case

$20 on VGA cable and RCA audio cable

$6 on HDMI cable

About $460 total for the equivalent of the following consoles RGB modded plus an OSSC plus flash carts for all of them:

NES

Atari 2600

Atari 7800

Amiga

Intellivision

Odyssey

Vectrex

Genesis

SNES

Master System

Game Gear

Game Boy

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance

TG16

Neo Geo

Over 50 arcade PCBs

Plus a bunch of old PCs, and next up Sega CD and CPS1/2 (and possibly PSX within a year). It's a no-brainer obscene value for anyone that cares even a little bit about retro gaming.

6 hours ago, RabidWookie said:

$80 Blisster board for no controller lag

I was trying to talk myself into this, and I was *almost* convinced, then they went out of stock. I ended up grabbing a Gamer Pro and three cables for different controllers (SNES, NES, and Genesis). Combined with my powered OTG hub, it was half the price although it's not neatly stacked together. The only multiplayer gaming we do on it is for lag-insensitive games like Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy, and plugging in a Bluetooth adapter took care of that. 

21 hours ago, mr_me said:

How much input lag is there with USB controllers.

It varies wildly depending on controller model.

Only a few tests were done so far but for example the 8bitdo M30 BT in wired mode (i.e. using USB) is slower than the M30 2.4 in wired mode. 

Experimentation is underway to overclock the USB stack to poll much faster at 4ms or lower. 4ms seems to work with everything but some controllers have trouble responding faster than that.

That is less an issue of MiSTer than the controller themselves, though.

Edited by Newsdee

18 hours ago, mr_me said:

Cores have to modified to use the two low latency controller ports on the blisster board.

That's not exactly right; those ports can still be used and the board acts as a USB adapter.

There is, on top of that, an unofficial serial communication mode that cores can support, and a few cores have been tweaked experimentally in an separate git repository.

It is right since the cores have to be updated to use those ports in low latency mode.  Otherwise they can be used as usb ports but you already have other usb ports on the board.

Question is, if a core is modified to support low latency mode, is there any perceptable or measureable difference over using a usb controller.

Edited by mr_me

I have a BlissBox and wonder if it is worth it to get a Blister board. I am waiting on my Amiga 1200 keyboard to go in my new A1200 case with a keyrah to see how much space I have. It would be great to have SMS controllers or Zipstick (for Commodore, Atari 8-bit) plugged in to the DB9 ports and then have my blissbox or blister board for the other cores.  Likely a USB port or two would go to wireless Saturn controllers.

As far as the Mister's value, yes, it has it in spades! Let's not forget ROOM (space) saver too. I played at friends' places on a NES, but I was more a Sega nerd. So for me, I'm less nostalgic for NES/SNES hardware (at all), let alone the costs and work to RGB mod many consoles. You can focus on the real original hardware you were nostalgic for to take up desk real estate. I like flash carts that allow save states, but the SNES core is so good I am saving money on a SuperNT and or flash cart, yet enjoy my MegaSG and new MegaSD. Computers are different and I have a real Apple IIGS, C64 and many Atari 8bit because the keyboard key arrangements differ, as does the nostalgic FEEL of them. I can't justify buying russian (or were they considered 'Soviet Union'?) computers that will end up on a closet shelf, but LOVE to fire up the cores and explore. 

FUTURE SAVINGS!
I only have an N64 with an Everdrive because I'm not content with the emulation options but may sell them when if an N64 core arrives as good as the SNES one. I never played N64 at the time. So that leads to FUTURE value.  Retro consoles hit the ceiling of functionality (I doubt I will ever be able to play Jaguar games on a N64 but it's looking good someday on MiSTer). I will hold off on buying a jaguar. Heck, I'd be interested in checking out CD-I games but can't justify buying a CD-I. Maybe one day I can load them on MiSTer. The future of Playstation 1 looks bright as well. I'd sell my modded PSOne to avoid cdr issues alone. Maybe my PS2 and 3 I only recently got to test the best way to play PS1 games. I'm too new to my 3DO hardware to know yet if I'd sell it if a core or 'mini' system came out. Let's see how my recapping goes.  

Other benefits of MiSTer:

A MiSTer will never need retrobrighting! 

If an IBM 5100 core ever releases to perfection, MiSTer might even save the world in 2036!! [Or at least be even more convenient for John Titor, maybe even save him a time travel trip]. How funny would that be if MiSTer saved us from Skynet someday! HAHA! :) "No John, you don't need to go back to the 1970s for that old clunky thing, here's a MiSTer! It's got Smokemonster's latest IBM 5100 rompack and everything!"

I'm leaning on jumping in to the MiSTer project and all it has to offer for Retro Gaming.

I do like the Phoenix console but for just two cores and having some issues with the game play not price effective. 

I want to know if any plans out there for case ideas of a more of a console feel in the works ?

I did see a original case by retroshop in the works.

Edited by laz455

18 hours ago, mr_me said:

Otherwise they can be used as usb ports but you already have other usb ports on the board.

(...)

is there any perceptable or measureable difference over using a usb controller.

What I mean is that those two HDMI ports still function as a (good) USB adapter for original controllers, and that has value in itself over a regular USB hub.

Controller latency is a complex and highly debated topic, and whether you yourself will notice any lag can be highly subjective. People are dedicating entire websites to the topic: https://inputlag.science/faq

The way I'd summarize is this:

1) Latency exists in original hardware too, so the question is one of relative difference  

2) Any controller with more than 16.66ms latency (1 frame at 60fps) will show definite lag

3) Latency isn't always fixed, it can vary randomly.

The lag question really is whether your button press will be read on time to not miss a frame. Here are some results on USB devices: https://inputlag.science/controller/results

The low latency mode you refer to was designed to synchronize itself to the internal core polling, so it is highly unlikely to miss a frame. So yes, there is a measurable advantage (with an oscilloscope), but for many (and probably most) people USB polling at 2ms is enough to not notice any difference.

Edited by Newsdee

I'm working on a Mister in an Amiga 1200 (keyboard for computer cores), but for a console case, has anyone thought about putting one in a non-working Atari 2600 case? I'd try to rescue the 2600 first, especially if a heavy sixer, but maybe a 4 switch woody or vader. It would be funny to show friends your 'modded' 2600 and fire up the Neo Geo core...