IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA

Newsdee

16 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

Mine has been running fanless for months. I keep thinking I'll get an IO board and a Noctua fan to be sure, but just haven't gotten around to it. 

That's what I have.  However, I'm not sure the screws that came with the Noc are the right ones lol.  They seem to big for it.

7 hours ago, seastalker said:

What's the latest with the IO boards? I have one that included the 32mb ram so I can't use it with my newer 128mb ram for neogeo that takes up the GPIO pins. Should I get a replacement now, or will I kick myself again when a newer board revision gets released? 

Official IO boards do not include SDRAM. Some sellers made unofficial versions that combine them, but they throw away the upgradability.

I would buy an official IO board and separate SDRAM. 

With the release of the AY-3-8500 core (which powered several pong game consoles), MiSTer now has over 120 official cores!

That does not include some of the unofficial cores which are still in development, such as the Intellivision or Arduboy cores, or the JT Arcade cores.

There are about 50 computer and console cores, plus 70+ arcade cores (counting the multi game arcade cores as one).

Full arcade list is here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Arcade-Cores-List

And you can see the full list of official computer and console cores in the side bar at the right.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

For folks on the fence about MiSTer and FPGA gaming, I wrote a primer/buying guide and captured some gameplay samples for lots of cores for HotHardware. 

https://hothardware.com/reviews/mister-diy-console-fpga

I think you might have missed DigiKey, which has the cheapest DE10-Nano on the internet and crazy fast free shipping. Order placed to in-hand was 3 days over a weekend. Ordered Friday, had it in-hand on Monday morning.

https://www.digikey.jp/products/en/development-boards-kits-programmers/evaluation-boards-embedded-complex-logic-fpga-cpld/796?k=DE10-Nano

Edited by Steven Pendleton

59 minutes ago, derFunkenstein said:

¥15,117 is $136.39 at current exchange rates. Since you're in Japan, that's great, but the article was written for a US audience where 3 day deliver is either very expensive or completely infeasible. Thanks for the feedback. 

I meant DigiKey in general. I forgot about the auto IP address. You guys get it cheaper than I do. They are a US company, after all.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/development-boards-kits-programmers/evaluation-boards-embedded-complex-logic-fpga-cpld/796?k=de10-nano

For the record, that's $130, with free shipping, anywhere in the world.

Edit: or not. they used to have free shipping over a certain order value. Disregard.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Yeah, it actually looks like they have free shipping for everywhere BUT the USA if your purchase value is above a certain amount. This amount is way less than the DE10-Nano, though, so for anyone outside the US, it seems that you should always qualify for free shipping. No promises, though, so be sure to check before you blame me for not free shipping!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Question re: Blisster board vs USB hub. I had the USB hub and sold it to get a Blisster being that I already have a Blissbox with most/all the adapters.  I heard MadLittlePixel give brief mention that he disliked the Blisster. So if you already have my setup, is it a no brainer to buy the Blisster or is there still reason to consider re-purchasing the USB board instead? I haven't found any reviews of the Blisster, nor know WHY MadLittlePixel disliked it so much, so any 'cons' to consider before purchase would be great to know. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, seastalker said:

Question re: Blisster board vs USB hub. I had the USB hub and sold it to get a Blisster being that I already have a Blissbox with most/all the adapters.  I heard MadLittlePixel give brief mention that he disliked the Blisster. So if you already have my setup, is it a no brainer to buy the Blisster or is there still reason to consider re-purchasing the USB board instead? I haven't found any reviews of the Blisster, nor know WHY MadLittlePixel disliked it so much, so any 'cons' to consider before purchase would be great to know. Thank you.

BlisSTer is not officially supported by the MiSTer. I also heard that sorgelig said that it's a piece of crap and that everything that can be done with BlisSTer can be done with USB. As I said, this is what I have heard, not something that I have actually seen him say.

Interesting. Now I really wonder what specific negatives people have with the Blisster. The standard USB ports on the Blisster would also have the same functionality and feature support of those on the usb hub I'd assume. I've heard of SNAC and am guessing through usb it wouldn't matter which device I used. I don't have enough people to play 7 player Bomberman or anything if such a thing exists... Do people dislike Blisster only because it has less usb ports than the official hub or is it for other reasons? Buggy? Failure prone?

3 hours ago, seastalker said:

Interesting. Now I really wonder what specific negatives people have with the Blisster. The standard USB ports on the Blisster would also have the same functionality and feature support of those on the usb hub I'd assume. I've heard of SNAC and am guessing through usb it wouldn't matter which device I used. I don't have enough people to play 7 player Bomberman or anything if such a thing exists... Do people dislike Blisster only because it has less usb ports than the official hub or is it for other reasons? Buggy? Failure prone?

I got my Blisster a few days ago.  So far, I love it.  I can feel a difference with it vs using a USB controller via my hub board.  Right now I only have adapter cables for NES and SNES, but I have a DB9 and PC Engine on the way.  It has a built in power switch as well, so you don't need to plug/unplug the thing to turn it on or off.  

Don't pay attention to Sorg or any of the MiSTer cult.  He is not a video game person and doesn't understand why people care about input lag and the MiSTer cult treats him like Jesus Christ.  The Blisster itself has a firmware that is technically closed source, so it is therefore a sewer rat and needs to be exterminated as such.  

Again, stay away from the Mister discord and forum and it's much easier to enjoy the thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zetastrike said:

Don't pay attention to Sorg or any of the MiSTer cult.  He is not a video game person and doesn't understand why people care about input lag and the MiSTer cult treats him like Jesus Christ.  The Blisster itself has a firmware that is technically closed source, so it is therefore a sewer rat and needs to be exterminated as such.  

Again, stay away from the Mister discord and forum and it's much easier to enjoy the thing.

I couldn't agree with you more. While we have to be appreciative of the work he's done for the project, he brings so much hostility to the community. His first reaction to any suggestion is immediately shit on it, regardless of merit. I understand there are often a lot of terrible ideas thrown around, and it likely gets tiresome, but that dude has a serious attitude problem.

The most recent example that rubbed me the wrong way was when someone asked about MD+ support for the Genesis/CD core.

There was no Sega MD+. It's some post-mortem whistles and bells.
Play games as they are designed. Otherwise you have PC with Core i9 and modern 3D games.

Seriously dude? "Play games as they are designed", that feels very inconsistent when cores are adding turbo mode, increasing sprite limits, and shit like that. There are arguments for both sides, but that dude is a prick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cosmic Owl said:

I couldn't agree with you more. While we have to be appreciative of the work he's done for the project, he brings so much hostility to the community. His first reaction to any suggestion is immediately shit on it, regardless of merit. I understand there are often a lot of terrible ideas thrown around, and it likely gets tiresome, but that dude has a serious attitude problem.

The most recent example that rubbed me the wrong way was when someone asked about MD+ support for the Genesis/CD core.

Seriously dude? "Play games as they are designed", that feels very inconsistent when cores are adding turbo mode, increasing sprite limits, and shit like that. There are arguments for both sides, but that dude is a prick.

Techically, MD+ always existed.  I believe it was called Sega CD Mode 0 and allowed a cartridge based game to use an audio CD the Sega CD for music.  Nothing ever used it during the system's lifetime.  I think Pier Solar was the first time it was ever meaningfully utilized.  There are rom hacks out there that add Mode 0 capability to games like Sonic 1.  So Sorg doesn't know what he's talking about.  But yeah, I avoid all that drama and just run the update script every other week or so and see if anything new pops up.  I figure if anything huge gets added, the news will reach me.