IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA

Newsdee

So I finally got around to configuring a MiSTer.ini to do analog component video out, onto a TV I got from the junkyard, and man it looks great! 

gAk7Gip.jpg UjlIomX.jpgTMA6MdB.jpg

HDMI output is more flexible with the display options (rotation, filters, resolution, masks, etc).. but THAT SAID, just the way it looks on a CRT is definitely my preference and with a component signal (I'll probably never get a PVM) is still super nice.. Once I can get this heavy-ass TV into the house, I'll probably dedicate the MiSTer to it and call it a day. 

Edited by NE146
  • Like 7

Hey, it's the MiSTer topic... nice timing. I stayed up past 0400 today testing the new Toaplan cores and now I feel extremely tired since I barely slept. Some of the music in Tatsujin sounds really weird and the colors look a bit off, but it's been a few months since I played it on PCB, so maybe it's just me not remembering. Couldn't get Same! Same! Same! to work, but I think it's WIP for now anyway. Out Zone plays incredibly well, though. Never played that on PCB, so I can't say how it compares to PCB, but if you haven't played Out Zone, play Out Zone. Zero Wing seems really good, as well, although I think I prefer the Mega Drive version for the better music and the fact that it doesn't take 6 trillion shots for things to die like it does in the arcade version. I think there was one more game that I couldn't get to work, but I forgot what it was.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

On 3/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, NE146 said:

So I finally got around to configuring a MiSTer.ini to do analog component video out, onto a TV I got from the junkyard, and man it looks great! 

HDMI output is more flexible with the display options (rotation, filters, resolution, masks, etc).. but THAT SAID, just the way it looks on a CRT is definitely my preference and with a component signal (I'll probably never get a PVM) is still super nice.. Once I can get this heavy-ass TV into the house, I'll probably dedicate the MiSTer to it and call it a day. 

MiSTer via component on my consumer Trinitrons is stunning. My NES games have never looked so good, haha.

Using the VGA out to a PC CRT monitor looks amazing too. Best way to get a PVM-like look without having a PVM.

I just love the flexibility of this device paired with the analog I/O board. Often times when I am streaming I am displaying out to the internet via the HDMI, while sending another signal out to a CRT that I can play on.

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Using the VGA out to a PC CRT monitor looks amazing too. Best way to get a PVM-like look without having a PVM.

Nah...it's something people like to say but it looks nothing like a PVM. VGA monitors are just too dim and lifeless in comparison.

Not that anybody should worry about the PVM look to start with, since decent consumer set is more than enough - as y'all said it's looking stunning. So how much more stunning can you get? :)

Edited by youxia

4 hours ago, youxia said:

Nah...it's something people like to say but it looks nothing like a PVM. VGA monitors are just too dim and lifeless in comparison.

Not that anybody should worry about the PVM look to start with, since decent consumer set is more than enough - as y'all said it's looking stunning. So how much more stunning can you get? :)

I don't think I've noticed a 'that' huge of a difference between my PVM, VGA, or VGA Trinitron, and they all sit (next to each other). I mean they're all different, I just couldn't pick a 'best.'

Still, speaking of MiSTers and Sony Monitors, those dell-branded trinitrons were everywhere and can still be had for a bargain, since folks forget to search them, and they're VGA-only. They'd probably do great on a MiSTer, though full-confession, the guy who sold me mine (with the computer below it) couldn't get it to sync specifically to MiSTer, and I've never tried myself, to see if it was maybe user-error.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Wasn't previously aware of the add-on they talk about for stuff like the Roland sound card, that I think is a Raspberry Pi of some sorts doing it via emulation. Looks (And sounds) quite cool.

While I just skimmed a couple of sections (While watching the rest), it was a very informative and well done video as expected. Only thing I'd quibble over is I think there's more fans of American console gaming pre-NES than they realize. While we're heavily outnumbered no doubt by fans of the NES and SNES era, this thriving forum community for one is a testament to it not being quite the lonely hobbyist existence I sense they think it is.

And I don't think any of the newer Japanese consoles have a homebrew scene that is anywhere as close to being as productive and regularly impressive as what the Atari 2600/7800, Intellivision, and Colecovision enjoy. Another sign there's more of us out there than perhaps some folks that grew up on just NES/SNES suspect.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

I haven't counted the new 2600, 7800, Intellivision, and ColecoVision releases, but I can definitely say that you might be surprised at how many new Game Boy games get made. itch.io has a section just for Game Boy games and there are a LOT of them

https://itch.io/games/tag-gameboy

Some of these might be Game Boy-inspired instead of actual Game Boy games, but I'm way too lazy to go check each one of the 3000+ releases.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

• 3 weeks later...

Well there's my weekend. 32x is the whole reason my Gen1/CD2/32x has a slot in the 'permanently hooked up' section but MiSTer and MegaSg don't. It may be time to reevaluate that. Every Genesis game session I've had in at least the last decade has devolved into lapping in Virtua Racing DX within an hour, so FPGA hasn't previously been 'doing it for me.'

Only slightly exaggerating on the 1hr thing, (this latest one took 1:07:)

Now I just have to figure out what was wrong with my 'update all' script last time. It kept dying right at the start, and it (doesn't look like there's a new one).

Edited by Reaperman

On 3/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, NE146 said:

gAk7Gip.jpg UjlIomX.jpgTMA6MdB.jpg

Can you share the settings to get this to work on consumer crt and pvm/bvm?  I had it working before, and I don't remember how I configured it lol.

I finally got around to trying out the beta of the PlayStation core tonight and I’m blown away. I can’t believe what has been accomplished with the Mister. Looking forward to the public release of this and hopefully the Saturn core isn’t too far behind now that 32X is here.

2 hours ago, F34R said:

Can you share the settings to get this to work on consumer crt and pvm/bvm?  I had it working before, and I don't remember how I configured it lol.

Yeah man.. I can give you my mister.ini as soon as I can locate my mister! :lol: I misplaced it very recently.. it's probably in the garage where my tv is still at so I'll locate it tomorrow and paste it here.

That said, I used this as my starting point, he mostly focuses on PVM but mentions settings to use for component out as well: 

I couldn't change my settings via the GUI (no monitor), so I'd just take out the SD card and modify it with notepad on a laptop. I had to experiment a little since no one gave me a setting that showed a clear picture to my particular TV set. Aside from the standard stuff, I believe the final key for me was setting "Forced_scandoubler" to 1 and that finally gave me a clear picture in addition to the suggested settings. But again, I'll upload my mister.ini here when I can get it. 

4 hours ago, youxia said:

7 hours ago, NE146 said:

Yeah man.. I can give you my mister.ini as soon as I can locate my mister! :lol: I misplaced it very recently.. it's probably in the garage where my tv is still at so I'll locate it tomorrow and paste it here.

That said, I used this as my starting point, he mostly focuses on PVM but mentions settings to use for component out as well: 

I couldn't change my settings via the GUI (no monitor), so I'd just take out the SD card and modify it with notepad on a laptop. I had to experiment a little since no one gave me a setting that showed a clear picture to my particular TV set. Aside from the standard stuff, I believe the final key for me was setting "Forced_scandoubler" to 1 and that finally gave me a clear picture in addition to the suggested settings. But again, I'll upload my mister.ini here when I can get it. 

Thanks a bunch to both!  I'll go over the video and guide link.  Much appreciated.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, F34R said:

I promised I'd at least post what I did.. then I got the flu, and also couldn't find my MiSTer :lol:    Anyway, not saying this will work for you, but this is what worked for me using the Analog I/O board (not digital) and a Monoprice VGA to RCA Component video cable to my CRT.

Default .ini on the left, and the changes I made on the right.  Also, don't forget to experiment with the sync-on-green physical switch on the MiSTer.

image.thumb.png.aa5d8bea62542ce6965d6332ba0da758.png

I've had my MiSTer setup only a short period now, and I'm enjoying it. I really like the 486 core (ao486) as well as the selection of Arcade and Consoles. I can't really get into some of the older Computer cores, but I have experimented with them a bit and appreciate them. 

I went with the Digital IO board instead of Analog so I'd have the extra slot for SDRAM... but now I can't get component out to work. I tried multiple configurations, but based on the research I'll have to modify the VGA adapter to work...

Anybody have experience with Component (indirectly) out of the HDMI (Digital Out)?

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

• 2 weeks later...

PSX core has been officially released today - big day. It's amazing how fast the progress on this was, and that mature betas have already been available afetr a few months (and without any paywall shenanigans). Stellar work.

But my favourite from recent weeks was the initial, unofficial release of Elan Enterprise core - a really obscure but very capable and interesting microcomputer. It's early days, but you can have a lot of fun with it already.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, youxia said:

PSX core has been officially released today - big day. It's amazing how fast the progress on this was, and that mature betas have already been available after a few months (and without any paywall shenanigans). Stellar work.

How do you access it?
I did the update and update_all scripts and the core (rbf) came down as did the BIOS but I can't seem to see any PS/Sony in the console list?

Update_all should've sorted it, but you can always do it manually too. I did it this way today because update_all is overkill.

-download PSX core from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiSTer/tree/main/releases

-put it in media/fat/_console on your SD card

-download MiSTer main file from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/blob/master/releases/MiSTer_20220511

-rename it to "mister" and put it in media/fat/ on your SD card (it should overwrite your old mister file there)

-make sure you have boot.rom in media/fat/games/PSX

-make sure you do a cold boot after all that (and main updates in general) - means best to switch MiSTer on/off

Wow, that is a pretty nice PS1 core. I entirely forgot I was playing on a MiSTer for a time.

I really like the dithering switch for games like Ridge Racer Revolution where it seems to just love full-screen dither. 

• Ace Combat 3 was my biggest problem. It switches controller 2 to analog(?) and freezes up right after the intro movie. (about 30:20 below)
  • And my gran turismo 2 vibration didn't work (33:24-ish), but it did work in wipeout 3. 

Here's a stream of me checking it out:

Edited by Reaperman