IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA

Newsdee

I had a funny idea today: I know there's a PlayStation core in the works for the MiSTer. How interesting would it be to develop special cartridges that would contain enough data space to store an entire disc ISO, and use such cartridges instead of discs with a custom FPGA-based PlayStation console?

I know that technically this can already be somewhat achieved with the PlayStation Classic via USB drives, but I'm just thinking it would be fun to have PlayStation cartridges that actually look like game carts, with proper cart labels and all that.

Of course, I know no one will ever bother to do something like this, but it's fun to think about.  :)

3 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

Well, the MiSTer FAQ says that not even simpler system carts are possible, in part because the DE10-nano's GPIO layout can't handle it. Let alone something that could read fast enough to keep a PS1 core busy. Instead, micro SD is the way to go, and it'll transfer data plenty fast via traditional means. 

I see. So if not via MiSTer, it would have to be some other FPGA solution.

But why? You can just mount a network drive to access a large collection of CD images.

If you really want the illusion though, a USB connector for USB storage would be the way to go. That already works and you just need to make a cool case for it and the "cart".

I suppose you could build a hub that exposes one of its USB ports as a cartridge slot. It would have a niche appeal beyond MiSTer, I think.

USB hard drive support is coming to MiSTer, too. Pretty soon you'll just need the SD card for cores, and everything else will come from a hard drive. 

I'm holding out on getting a case for my DE10-nano because I'm hopeful someone will come up with a case that houses both the board and a 2.5" drive all in one with some additional USB ports. Replace the OTG cable and powered USB hub all at once. Would be even better if there was some sort of power switch with it. Right now I have an inline toggle which is fine, but would like something on the front of the unit. 

On 12/13/2019 at 2:58 AM, derFunkenstein said:

"in the pipeline" according to this. Sega CD RAM cart, too, which is awesome.

Ah, that's about a specific recent change. I see what he means.

There was an improvement of the search paths for ROM folders to give priority to USB drives over local storage. Long story short, that means you automatically open the relevant folders in USB drive first if they exist.

In practice that means you can have a local library of games with a few chosen titles, and then plug a USB to suddenly have access to the whole library in the same "load ROM" dialogue.

Edited by Newsdee

• 2 weeks later...

Learn from my mistake: don't turn off the "reset when inserting disc image" on the megaCD core. I accidentally wiped out my emulated Shining Force CD RAM cart that way. 

edit: maybe that's been resolved?

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=31926&start=550#p390101

At any rate, having CD fader is super nice. 

Edited by derFunkenstein