IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA

Newsdee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got mine connected to a CRT. What a PITA. Not the fault of the Mister FPGA itself, but the damn TV had an out of whack setting in the hidden service menu that was causing sync issues on component! Took two hours to track down the issue. Anyway, worth it!

IMG_20200721_214814.jpg

IMG_20200721_214802.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Finally got mine connected to a CRT. What a PITA. Not the fault of the Mister FPGA itself, but the damn TV had an out of whack setting in the hidden service menu that was causing sync issues on component! Took two hours to track down the issue. Anyway, worth it!

IMG_20200721_214814.jpg

IMG_20200721_214802.jpg

Can you discus the name of the setting or what it does? I have a Sony CRT that has issues with sync on one, but my other Sony CRT (same model) doesn't, so I'm wondering which setting can potentially fix it. The service menu has like 200 options and I don't recognize about 190 of them.

33 minutes ago, XtraSmiley said:

Can you discus the name of the setting or what it does? I have a Sony CRT that has issues with sync on one, but my other Sony CRT (same model) doesn't, so I'm wondering which setting can potentially fix it. The service menu has like 200 options and I don't recognize about 190 of them.

Hah...I hear you on that. The setting I changed was "APC1" (I believe that was it, or AFC1...its in the 'DEF" category). It was default set to "7", but once I changed it to 3 or less, bingo...synced right up. You can sit there and mess with all of the settings without worry. As long as you do not write to the TV's NAND memory (which is Muting+Enter on mine) you can just turn off the TV, unplug it, replug it and turn it back on and none of the changes you made would be saved. I did that first, messing with setting after setting until I found it...then shut the TV off, unplugged, and turned it back on and re-entered the service menu ONLY to change the one setting I knew solves the problem and then wrote it to the TV NAND memory.

I hope that helps.

I'd also like to add that muting+enter saves the current setting. It is not a global save as some may think. Just a heads up in case you have a few settings to change. You must save each one as you feel they are "correct". Servicing these is a real pain in the neck.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eightbit said:

Hah...I hear you on that. The setting I changed was "APC1" (I believe that was it, or AFC1...its in the 'DEF" category). It was default set to "7", but once I changed it to 3 or less, bingo...synced right up. You can sit there and mess with all of the settings without worry. As long as you do not write to the TV's NAND memory (which is Muting+Enter on mine) you can just turn off the TV, unplug it, replug it and turn it back on and none of the changes you made would be saved. I did that first, messing with setting after setting until I found it...then shut the TV off, unplugged, and turned it back on and re-entered the service menu ONLY to change the one setting I knew solves the problem and then wrote it to the TV NAND memory.

I hope that helps.

I'd also like to add that muting+enter saves the current setting. It is not a global save as some may think. Just a heads up in case you have a few settings to change. You must save each one as you feel they are "correct". Servicing these is a real pain in the neck.

Thanks a million! I think I messed with one at some point and forgot. I have one in tate mode and one in yoko.

I use real arcade PCBs and for some reason some work on one but not the other. Hopefully this will help me dial it in!

Another odd sync issue I think is with TMNT (arcade PCB) and other Konami PCBs that match. On one TV the colors are very distorted on the other totally fine. It's weird!

Edited by XtraSmiley

13 hours ago, youxia said:

Some Sony TVs have an issue with displaying proper colours depending on input source. In the case of MiSTer it's described in this thread.

I'm about to try to mod my cables with those resistors and see if it cures that odd tint.

I have absolutely no issue of that type. Seems it might be a SCART issue only. I am using a VGA to component cable to this USA NTSC Wega and the colors are astounding. It is really jaw dropping. This MiSTer is the best thing I have ever put together, period!

6 hours ago, eightbit said:

I have absolutely no issue of that type. Seems it might be a SCART issue only. I am using a VGA to component cable to this USA NTSC Wega and the colors are astounding. It is really jaw dropping. This MiSTer is the best thing I have ever put together, period!

It's more of a particular Sony model related problem than SCART itself. I have several Trinitrons and two of them have this problem, and two others do not (all connected via SCART).

Also, yeah, MiSTer is awesome, but I don't think its colour output is any better than my other RGB sources (RPi, Wii, PC). I mean, yes, it claims to have better colour depth via direct video, but is it really observable (and available on all platforms)?

One thing where it shines in regard to CRT display IQ is centering and dimensions - spot on vs real machines - I've measured it with a ruler :). Also, I have a properly scaled Amiga output...finally!

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Austin said:

Finally getting on the MiSTer bandwagon myself. Have a fully decked out one a friend put together for me. Should be here Friday. Totally stoked for it!

There's such an unbelievable amount of gaming across the various well supported systems, that it's just insane.  Hell even the amazing GBA support alone could could keep you entertained for ages.

And MiSTer now has a release of the amazing work done on the ao486 core by Robert and Alexey - so now it's even a viable platform for a large chunk of PC DOS based gaming!

1 minute ago, remowilliams said:

There's such an unbelievable amount of gaming across the various well supported systems, that it's just insane.  Hell even the amazing GBA support alone could could keep you entertained for ages.

And MiSTer now has a release of the amazing work done on the ao486 core by Robert and Alexey - so now it's even a viable platform for a large chunk of PC DOS based gaming!

its such a well kept secret, even though word is out. Should be MUCH more popular than it is

'DIY' aspect (though really easy) and the thought of 'emulation' I think are the deterrers for people that don't know what they're really getting as an end result, performance wise. 

5 hours ago, remowilliams said:

Yeah, GBA support is a huge factor for me. It's going to completely replace my Game Cube's Game Boy Player. So many other cores as well that look amazing.

5 hours ago, playstays_shun said:

Which core(s) are you most excited to play ?

PC Engine CD, for sure. My PC Engine DUO just hates CDrs and legit games are ridiculously expensive, so the MiSTer is basically going to replace it. And Arcade Card and Super Grafx support! Just icing on the cake. I miss playing that version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts. :)

55 minutes ago, Austin said:

Yeah, GBA support is a huge factor for me. It's going to completely replace my Game Cube's Game Boy Player. So many other cores as well that look amazing.

PC Engine CD, for sure. My PC Engine DUO just hates CDrs and legit games are ridiculously expensive, so the MiSTer is basically going to replace it. And Arcade Card and Super Grafx support! Just icing on the cake. I miss playing that version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts. :)

Awesome

I got a GB player earlier this year too, won't toss it though its good for picking up where I left off with games on my x5 mini Everdrive haha 

But if you only play on the tv, no need for it vs. MiSTer for the most part. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I feel really dumb...

I ordered a preassembled kit from MiSTer addons...and...I can't figure out how I would plug it in.

I have the digital I/O board...so I don't think I need the splitter/inline power switch.

Do I daisy chain the DE10-Nano to the USB, then plug the power into the digital I/O board?  Or do I just plug the power into the I/O Board?

I don't want to plug something in wrong and damage something.  So asking here first...

20200908_120546_Guess.jpg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

I've been watching the MiSTer news and gathering info for a while now. Finally ordered, just the DE10 Nano Kit and a cheap USB hub to get me going. They should be in my hands in a few days.

Any tips for a MiSTer noob on what script(s) to run and what will fit on the pack in 8GB SD card?

Check https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Setup-Guide for initial setup.

Mr Fusion is a current setup recommendation, though I've not personally tried it.  The standard MiSTer Updater script will greatly help in keeping your MiSTer and released cores up to date after you get your initial setup done.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

Check https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Setup-Guide for initial setup.

Mr Fusion is a current setup recommendation, though I've not personally tried it.  The standard MiSTer Updater script will greatly help in keeping your MiSTer and released cores up to date after you get your initial setup done.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll run Mr. Fusion first. I'm guessing 8GB is enough room for all the cores and then with the space left (if there is any) I can cherry pick what roms I want, even if I have to add those manually.