Sign in to follow this  
Airshack

KansasFest Apple Meetup w/TI-99/4A

My wife and I went to KansasFest this year. What a great event! The Apple guys rent out a college dorm room and cafeteria at Rockhurst University, Kansas City. The week-long event is like going to retro computer camp with 100 like minded individuals.

Each day they have scheduled events from 8am to past midnight. You sleep in a dorm room which was actually quite comfortable. The food was good too! You leave the dorm room door open to welcome visitors.

Of course everything is mostly Apple // related. I did get to see and talk about other systems at the event: Atari 400, TI-99/4A, MAME arcade, and CoCo. There were podcasters from the retro community related shows as well: Jason Scott, Antic, retro computing round table, assembly lines, etc. 

In the first day they get together for a giant give-away. Here’s a few shots of the offerings:

B82F04D2-FD6A-4F76-8B4B-E67B7367B36B.thumb.jpeg.61408fbdb45cff11fde4abe646a50e8e.jpeg

B173B9F6-EF26-45D0-96DC-634F47049234.thumb.jpeg.7115ba07d744b8daca0bf2fcd500d46d.jpeg

BC67E875-47DA-4D9F-AD0B-CA960821EBD5.thumb.jpeg.85ea4689635cfa27c0c58c10dfb0a8f2.jpeg

7E465B74-F3AC-4DAB-842E-C9E728B669B4.thumb.jpeg.3b4e9d275156381b5e8f0e498b45afd1.jpeg7E465B74-F3AC-4DAB-842E-C9E728B669B4.thumb.jpeg.3b4e9d275156381b5e8f0e498b45afd1.jpeg

The pile had a TI-99/4A. It wasn’t working but one dorm room has techs who repair things all day long. They replaced a bad RAM chip for the recipient. Yes, I’ve pointed him in the direction of this forum and Arcadeshopper’s store!

The CoCo guy had a version of Hunt the Wumpus he cloned from the TI-99/4A. I thought that was pretty cool:

I had no idea this existed?!?!?

Hopefully -next year- some 99er reading this may consider KansasFest so the we can get a small "TI-Mafia" presence at the event. 

It’s basically retro computer camp for adults. I hesitated to attend KansasFest since I figured it was all Apple //. Not true. The attendees were very interested anytime I brought up the TI-99/4A and/or demo’d my game project.

Lots of questions about TIpi, Matt’s 32k, F18A, nanoPEB, and the TI homebrew scene. They’re open to a TI-99/4A presentation next year. 

Anyone want to help? Super cheap billeting and food for a week long event. Much, much, much more enjoyable than anticipated. Imagine attending college with only geeks, no homework, and dozens of retro related events...late night hacking...etc.

Enjoyed it so much I thought I’d share the experience with the TI community.

83A3898F-2338-43FC-B314-74DBC0D9360D.thumb.jpeg.ad2faf44a4e7b419179e705141f73371.jpeg

03F392A3-62DD-4CCE-BE1A-7B5307464F8B.thumb.jpeg.30b963e98c1b08bbf7b9add2f11e5438.jpeg

Red cups and wine:)

F16B6C0A-BCAF-4B6B-ACF3-361155395E97.thumb.jpeg.e1e2dce65da1fa5bf6d8906f31f9b2d9.jpeg

Who knew the Apple // guys were so cool?

• Like 9

A week?  Sounds really cool.  And I could pick up a free GS.  At one of our TI events it has been almost fisticuffs just to get a second day.  Can you imagine a week-long TI AA event?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

A week?  Sounds really cool.  And I could pick up a free GS.  At one of our TI events it has been almost fisticuffs just to get a second day.  Can you imagine a week-long TI AA event?

Only if the lights are left on and the attendees aren't shushed from 8am-midnight  ;)

Not sure I could handle a full week but the venue and way they do this is really cool.  I think it would be a hoot to go for the experience!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I only just learned about this event a few weeks ago in a blog post, but I did not look into it (guilty of judging an event by its title).  This sounds exactly what I have been looking for in an event, I'll give it serious consideration for sure.  Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great time was had by all. Would be cool to sit down and talk a bit with Jason Scott. His contributions to the software library at the Internet Archive is simply stupendous, not to mention his Get Lamp documentary.

This would really be right up my alley, as my first computer was the TI and my second was an Apple //c. I've gotten back into the Apple ][ line recently, having picked up a IIGS in nice shape. I added a Floppy Emu, jacked it up to 8 MB, replaced the on-board battery, located a decently working joystick, and am now a very happy camper! Both of these computers hold special places in my heart, along with the Amiga, as they were all at one time my main computer up until 1998 when I finally gave in and bought a PC. Now I use the PC to go back and use these machines. Oh, the irony...

Thanks for sharing the pics and your experience~!

On 8/2/2019 at 5:20 PM, OLD CS1 said:

KansasFest 2020 is 21 - 27 July. It's a Tuesday through Sunday event with move outs on Monday morning. So actually six days of retro computer college.

13 hours ago, majestyx said:

Sounds like a great time was had by all. Would be cool to sit down and talk a bit with Jason Scott. His contributions to the software library at the Internet Archive is simply stupendous, not to mention his Get Lamp documentary.

Jason Scott attends regularly. He's an extremely approachable person. He's the guy in the black ball cap in the seventh photo. In that photo they're downloading disk images from Apple ][ floppy disks directly into their modern laptops via a system named AppleSauce. At any given time there were up to three systems constantly archiving disk images for the internet archive. 

https://www.kansasfest.org/wp-content/uploads/KansasFest-Session-Disk-Imaging-with-Applesauce-Presented-by-John-K-Morris.pdf

13 hours ago, majestyx said:

This would really be right up my alley, as my first computer was the TI and my second was an Apple //c. I've gotten back into the Apple ][ line recently, having picked up a IIGS in nice shape. I added a Floppy Emu, jacked it up to 8 MB, replaced the on-board battery, located a decently working joystick, and am now a very happy camper! Both of these computers hold special places in my heart, along with the Amiga, as they were all at one time my main computer up until 1998 when I finally gave in and bought a PC. Now I use the PC to go back and use these machines. Oh, the irony...

Thanks for sharing the pics and your experience~!

If you have floppyEMU then you'll defiantly need to download "Final Replay" from the archive. There was a presentation on it at this year's fest. It'll run on a stock //c with floppyEMU configured as a smartport drive. The entire 32mb disk image is on the internet archive. Turns your //c into a 203 game mult-cade. Brilliant!

https://archive.org/details/TotalReplay

Total Replay is a frontend for exploring and playing classic arcade games on an 8-bit Apple II. Some notable features:

• UI for searching and browsing all games
  • Screensaver mode includes hundreds of screenshots and dozens of self-running demos
  • In-game protections removed (manual lookups, code wheels, &c.)
  • Super hi-res box art (requires IIgs)
  • All games run directly from ProDOS (no swapping floppies!)

On 8/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, matthew180 said:

I only just learned about this event a few weeks ago in a blog post, but I did not look into it (guilty of judging an event by its title).  This sounds exactly what I have been looking for in an event, I'll give it serious consideration for sure.  Thanks for sharing this.

More info for those considering:  https://www.kansasfest.org/wp-content/uploads/KansasFest-for-Newcomers-2018.pdf

Having a TI-Mafia at the event would make it even better.

It's titled the 2018 Newcomer's Guide but pretty much tells you what to expect. This year's Keynote Speaker was Penguin Software founder Mark Pelczarski. His Graphic's Magician software was legendary back in the day. Another guy demo'd live video streaming on an Apple ][ in three modes: hi-res, lo-res, and even ASCII. Many of the presentations were beyond clever. 

Matthew's F18A on the Apple ][ was presented a few years earlier, so I'm told. One of my favorite presentations was built around a guy whom converted the single payer game Karateka to a two-player version. When he was finished they surprised everyone with a live stream presentation from the game's author - Jordan Mechner. Jordan went on to create the Prince of Persia franchise.