IGNORED

Interest Check-Brand New 4-Port TV Boxes

Starwander

I just found out that Best Electronics is out of stock of the Atari 5200 4-Port auto switching TV switch boxes. The box RF switches that the power adapter and TV plug into. Realistically does the community think there would be enough demand to justify making more of these? I reproduced the Atari Jaguar Pro controllers so I have some experience in this area in reproducing Atari accessories. I would have to make thousands of them to get this project done. I would duplicate the design 1:1 so they would be like the original minus the logo. 

Image result for atari 5200 rf

Edited by Starwander

1 hour ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

Or people just get the power modification done...

Well, to be fair, I’ve still not bothered to do that with mine, though I need to. :) For people who can’t do the power mod themselves, or who don’t want to ship their machines elsewhere to get it done, a viable replacement like this is a fine idea. But I am concerned that replicating the case will drive up the cost and expense of producing them when the internals are really pretty straightforward. 

E9CACD4D-ED48-4F90-AAC8-E054E3D5A747.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

They’d be cheaper (and you’d be able to justify smaller production batches) if you just put the PCB into a simple project box. The electronics inside are pretty darn simple.

Very true that is what I was thinking when I was looking over the internals yesterday that the internal parts wouldn't be expensive to have made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 2:26 PM, Starwander said:

I just found out that Best Electronics is out of stock of the Atari 5200 4-Port auto switching TV switch boxes. The box RF switches that the power adapter and TV plug into. Realistically does the community think there would be enough demand to justify making more of these? I reproduced the Atari Jaguar Pro controllers so I have some experience in this area in reproducing Atari accessories. I would have to make thousands of them to get this project done. I would duplicate the design 1:1 so they would be like the original minus the logo. 

Image result for atari 5200 rf

If you have hardware-experience with Atari5200, please consider (if you are technically able) to produce (reproduce??), PC-joystick-to-Atari5200-concerter-pieces.

I actually think it could be a demand for these, as there are many 5200-consoles on ebay, and many, many 5200-games that plays better with a joystick.

Even buying up some PC-joysticks and add produced converter-piece could perhaps make you some atariage and ebay-money.

As to these switch-boxes, I’m even myself unsure how they actually work...

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

If you have hardware-experience with Atari5200, please consider (if you are technically able) to produce (reproduce??), PC-joystick-to-Atari5200-concerter-pieces.

I actually think it could be a demand for these, as there are many 5200-consoles on ebay, and many, many 5200-games that plays better with a joystick.

Even buying up some PC-joysticks and add produced converter-piece could perhaps make you some atariage and ebay-money.

As to these switch-boxes, I’m even myself unsure how they actually work...

Do you have any links to an existing one? Most things can be reproduced. 

2 hours ago, Starwander said:

Do you have a sample unit or know anyone that does?

Some people here on AtariAge has been known to make them.

I do not own one.

I think the people making them got tired of it.

To which I think the reasonable response could be

1) to increase the price

2) to study YouTube videos on how to assemble such things (I’m blank as to assemble hardware).

3) ask someone who may have surplus of these to borrow.

I completely understand that it would be tiresome for one person to produce these one-by-one without having a benefit for it.

A fair pricing could outweigh that.

In my view the 5200 library is strong in quality albeit not big in quantity.

I never owned a 5200 as kid since I’m european and the 5200 is ntsc/US, but my little hobby/past-time/relax-thingy of retrogaming made me very positively surprised as to the gameoutput on this console when I got one and collected some games.

I just love games like Pengo, Pole Position, Mr Dos Castle, Star Wars Arcade, Pitfall 2, HERO, Mario Bros, Gyruss, Buck Rogers, Moon Patrol, Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Resque on Fractalus and others.

And secondarily (according to my personal taste) you have high-quality games for this period (‘82-85/86) in:

Keystone Kapers, Gremlins, Missile Command (objectively at top-game), Dreadnaught Factor, Vanguard, Wizard of Wor, Robotron 2084, Ballblazer (objectively a top-game), Frogger, Frogger 2, Star Raiders (which may become a favourite, just havent had time to get into it), Montezumas Revenge.

Its a pity that enjoying some of these games may be hindered by a lack of joystick/joypad options.

Edited by Giles N

• 2 months later...

I am picking up a Jag controller that is modded to work on the 5200.

What I really would love is an analog Jag controller that works for the 5200. Basically the Dpad replaced by an analog stick.

I will pass this thread to our listeners on AA and FB.

Edited by David Alexander

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 6:32 PM, David Alexander said:

Before Atariguy1021's current absence from the scene he was designing an adapter that would allow you to plug in unmodded Jag controllers to use with the 5200.

And if they sold well PBolond may have made Atari 5200 overlays that fit the Jag Keypad. I was looking forward to that.

I purchased a Masterplay clone from Atariguy1021 with a modified paddle controller. The MP is a very nice piece of hardware. It can use a Genesis style controller. I wish I could have picked up another set before he stopped making them. There is no way I would play my 5200 near as much without it. If something like this were widely available the 5200 might get a little more love.