IGNORED

I'm back!

DavidMil

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and let everyone know that I'm back.  Even though we only got about a half inch of water in the house

it started a nightmare!  For two months we walked around on a bare concrete floor with the lower two feet of all the sheetrock walls cut

out.  You could literally stand at the front door and bend over and see who was in the bathroom in the back of the house!  The insurance

company did us right on the structure but they don't recognize antiques (if something is over 4 years old it is worthless).  We have a table from

the 1850's that has porcelain rollers and they gave us 0.0 dollars because it's over 4 years old.  Anything you list over 100 dollars has to be

accompanied by a photo or you'll get nothing!  Make a long story short, we'll get about 5 cents on the dollar for our lost possessions.

I've been away for so long, I've got a lot of catch up reading to do.  I see the sight has changed a bit too!  Well, it's nice to be back!

I hope every one else is well!

DavidMil     

• Like 2

Welcome back David, sorry that you got ripped off by the insurance people but its second nature to them. Photo's of stuff is quite normal these days as are the usual receipt rules even though if you get washed out then its very unlikely a receipt will get through that. Won't be long before they refuse the photo's as well.

As they say, the only way is up, glad to see you and welcome back to new and improved AA :)

Welcome back. It’s funny. I received an email from one of the threads I am subscribed to with a post from you and I was like, wow, I haven’t seen a post from him in a long time. 

And now I know why. 

Hope everything turns around for you. 

9 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Welcome back David, sorry that you got ripped off by the insurance people but its second nature to them. Photo's of stuff is quite normal these days as are the usual receipt rules even though if you get washed out then its very unlikely a receipt will get through that. Won't be long before they refuse the photo's as well.

As they say, the only way is up, glad to see you and welcome back to new and improved AA :)

Thank you Paul.  It's nice to be back.

David

8 hours ago, toddtmw said:

Welcome back. It’s funny. I received an email from one of the threads I am subscribed to with a post from you and I was like, wow, I haven’t seen a post from him in a long time. 

And now I know why. 

Hope everything turns around for you. 

Thank you!  I was a bit surprised at the changes to AA.  They have been saying that changes were coming for a while, I'm glad to see the upgrade.

Now all I have to do is figure it all out again!

David

13 hours ago, DavidMil said:

we'll get about 5 cents on the dollar for our lost possessions.

As we say in The Netherlands, that's quite a bitter pill to swallow :( For all the years you paid the insurrance company, this is what you get... I also pay my insurrances every month and hope for the best in case I ever need to claim something. Somehow, they always find a hidden clause to pay you way less. But switching companies doesn't help a bit. They're all the same.

Anyway, good you're back and good luck with repairs and all that!

Edit: And TIL what sheetrock is :)

Edited by ivop

20 hours ago, DavidMil said:

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and let everyone know that I'm back.  Even though we only got about a half inch of water in the house

it started a nightmare!  For two months we walked around on a bare concrete floor with the lower two feet of all the sheetrock walls cut

out.  You could literally stand at the front door and bend over and see who was in the bathroom in the back of the house!  The insurance

company did us right on the structure but they don't recognize antiques (if something is over 4 years old it is worthless).  We have a table from

the 1850's that has porcelain rollers and they gave us 0.0 dollars because it's over 4 years old.  Anything you list over 100 dollars has to be

accompanied by a photo or you'll get nothing!  Make a long story short, we'll get about 5 cents on the dollar for our lost possessions.

I've been away for so long, I've got a lot of catch up reading to do.  I see the sight has changed a bit too!  Well, it's nice to be back!

I hope every one else is well! 

DavidMil      

Sorry to hear!! :( Welcome back. Did you lose any A8 equipment as well??

Just now, Sugarland said:

I bet the answer is probably not. 

Probably, because he appears to not know what all he has. 

Not, because he’s always finding stuff in his attic. 

???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ivop said:

As we say in The Netherlands, that's quite a bitter pill to swallow :( For all the years you paid the insurrance company, this is what you get... I also pay my insurrances every month and hope for the best in case I ever need to claim something. Somehow, they always find a hidden clause to pay you way less. But switching companies doesn't help a bit. They're all the same.

Anyway, good you're back and good luck with repairs and all that!

Edit: And TIL what sheetrock is :)

Thank you ivop!  We've been with this well know insurance company for 27 years, and they never had a problem taking our money.  But as you

said, that is the way it is with all of them.  Everyone around us is complaining about the same thing!

David

8 hours ago, Sugarland said:

No.  I didn't loose any Atari stuff or anything electric except for one clone PC that the table collapsed because one of the wooden practical board legs

gave out.  As the water started coming in I was running around unplugging everything and putting all the power cords and power strips up on tables.

The wife got a little upset because I was more worried about all the cords than the furniture, until I asked her if she would like to take a change getting

electrocuted.     

• Like 1

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Welcome back to AA in any event...  I hope the damage is limited and the recovery full.

Thank you Doc.  Everything in the storage shed in the back yard was covered but the above ground swim spa was not.  Fortunately all the electrical

pumps and circuitry is sealed in water tight enclosures.  This has to be the case in Texas for all above ground pools/spas that have anything electrical

under the pools (to protect against blasting everyone out of the pool with 240 volts of electricity).  We are both fine but tired from all the cleanup and

repairs.  On a good note; we did get a house full of new carpet, and I put a vinyl floor in the computer room so the chairs would roll around easier!

Thank you,

David   

Welcome back. Had a less severe experience when our apartment's basement storage was affected by a burst boiler and I found out that everything stored in a basement is considered "basement stuff" and you can't claim more than 1000 EUR for all of it unless you can prove it was in regular use (like a bike). Reason enough to bring more Ataris from Storage ;).

I never had a big claim over about 15 years, just a couple of small ones, and they terminated my insurance and offered to change the contract to a new one which was more expensive at less coverage. Bikes used to be covered against theft when in a locked room, now they need to be locked to the building which we don't have the facilities for, etc., etc.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:15 AM, slx said:

Welcome back. Had a less severe experience when our apartment's basement storage was affected by a burst boiler and I found out that everything stored in a basement is considered "basement stuff" and you can't claim more than 1000 EUR for all of it unless you can prove it was in regular use (like a bike). Reason enough to bring more Ataris from Storage ;).

I never had a big claim over about 15 years, just a couple of small ones, and they terminated my insurance and offered to change the contract to a new one which was more expensive at less coverage. Bikes used to be covered against theft when in a locked room, now they need to be locked to the building which we don't have the facilities for, etc., etc.

Thank you six.  It's nice to be back and hear what everyone has to say!  I guess insurance companies are the same all around the world.

As mad at I get at them, it's still better than nothing!

David 

Sorry to hear of your water damage losses.  

Was it a flood or a burst pipe, etc.?  I'm sure that the ins co explained to you about coverage from riders for specific loss categories or high value items.  I really don't know much about flood insurance, if it was categorized as a flood event.  But typical homeowners policies have lots of exclusions (as you discovered).  But good to see you back here.

-Larry

10 hours ago, Larry said:

Sorry to hear of your water damage losses.  

Was it a flood or a burst pipe, etc.?  I'm sure that the ins co explained to you about coverage from riders for specific loss categories or high value items.  I really don't know much about flood insurance, if it was categorized as a flood event.  But typical homeowners policies have lots of exclusions (as you discovered).  But good to see you back here.

-Larry

Yes it was a flood event.  Because our house is all brick exterior we didn't get a lot of water inside the house.  Neighbors all around us have

Cedar siding or Hardie Board (Asbestos mixed with paper and soaked in cement, and then compressed into sheets about 1/4"(a little over

6mm)) thick.  They all had between 4 and 12 inches of water damage, but then no one would ever have suspected we'd get 15" of ran in

two hours.

Thank you for the kind words!

David

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

oh my, hardie board was supposed to be removed and sent the hazardous materials processing years ago... That all needs to be cleaned up. Amazing.

Actually in our wonderful conservative state of Texas, any 6 year old child can walk into any hardware store and buy all the Hardie Board they can pay for.

We also have lots of people (and politicians) that don't believe cigarettes cause cancer and global warming is a joke.

David     

I know plenty of conservative folks who would go berserk over the idea asbestos would be on the loose.... that craps only for industrial use and once it's run it's course.. needs to go where the nuclear waste lives! :)

So I decided to go searching...

hardie bard and hardi plank have no asbestos since 1982

https://www.answers.com/Q/Does_James_Hardie_hardiplank_contain_asbestos

but in the interest of inspecting for asbestos here's some home inspection info.

https://www.hunker.com/12000135/fiber-cement-siding-problems

asbestos is terrible stuff!

to be honest most of the cement hardi type board is still terrible stuff, keep it wet when cutting, it has almost no insulation value, not very good with water, needs constant painting and caulking, but the horror story lasts about 50 years... :O

Edited by _The Doctor__

My dad worked in a factory where they made brakes. He was a plumber. Back the brakes were made with asbestos. They used to throw it like snowballs. He was occasionally literally swimming in it. 

He he now has asbestosis.

so, I’m glad hardy board doesn’t have it any more. 

Yes, I've had the pleasure of breathing that brake dust... I wish asbestos was eradicated from the planet.

It was also in my basement, I have the pleasure of dealing with that also... the stuff is downright evil to a body and I don't use that term lightly.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2019 at 6:15 PM, DavidMil said:

Actually in our wonderful conservative state of Texas, any 6 year old child can walk into any hardware store and buy all the Hardie Board they can pay for.

We also have lots of people (and politicians) that don't believe cigarettes cause cancer and global warming is a joke.

David     

The ingredients for Hardie Board were updated to replace the asbestos with wood pulp in the 1987, over 30 years ago, I doubt any of the asbestos type is still available for sale.

Care would need to be taken when renovating properties with Hardie Board since it could be the older version.