IGNORED

I'm back, sort of

curtis

The past 6 months have not been kind to me.

I started peritoneal dialysys in February.  That, to put it politely, wasn't a match made in heaven.  My poor, old beat up body just couldn't process the poison and get it out properly ending with my starting hemodialysis 3 times a week 3 hours every session.

Was screening for a transplant when my left kidney was discovered to be cancerous which is the reason it stopped working.  Out it came.  And now I have to wait FIVE years being cancer free before going on the transplant list.

Which all leads to the fact I've got 3 hours 3 times a week with not a whole lot to do except read, watch TV(boring), or find a project.

I've decided a project would keep me best involved and the project I'd like is working on the CC-40 or TI-74.

I'm looking for a PCIF for the dockbus which is easily converted to hexbus.

All of the above will explain the sudden rash of my posts regarding the 40, 74 and associated stuff.

Curtis

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, curtis said:

All of the above will explain the sudden rash of my posts regarding the 40, 74 and associated stuff.

Curtis

Welcome back, Curtis? - my dad went through a similar thing before all his comorbidities caught up with him in 2015.

It's also nice to see someone else here from this burg! For being so "close" to where TI made it all happen you'd think there would be more people in and around Lubbock, but I digress.

I don't use my CC40 much, but I'm always lurking in the TI-99/X topics.?

• Like 1

I appreciate all the warm welcome back's.

For what it's worth, the project I've decided on is one near and dear to my heart, an A1C tracker and converter from blood glucose level to A1C.

John Gardner and I had been working on one, but he tends to a lot of peeks and pokes and machine language subroutines.  To be honest his is probably a heck of a lot faster than what I plan, but to put it bluntly, I AIN'T THAT MUCH OF A CODER!

What I'm going to TRY is a pure BASIC version that will hopefully run in a 6K machine.  Got a lot of the framework worked out in my head and will start pseudo coding tomorrow.  Hopefully.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 3:58 PM, curtis said:

Didn't know there was anyone else here!

Is that an Army uniform?  I'm retired Navy.

Yes sir, retired also. Always glad to touch base with a another selfless career service member!

Sounds like an exciting coding project y'all have ahead of you.

Doug

It's one I've been mulling for several months.  Sickness kept getting in the way of clear thinking however.

Another thing is I'm more of a hardware guy.  I can program, but it's a very uncomfortable process.  Lots of teeth grinding, head banging, glaring at the page.  That sort of thing.  Also, I've been told my code isn't  very elegant, more of a bull in a china shop type code.  It works, but it's usually not pretty.

• Like 1

At my first duty station, our main communications computer was called Streamliner.  It's nickname was Screamliner for the sounds it made when something was wrong.

It had a wire wrap panel that was about 2 feet by 3 or 4 feet.  It had a habit of shedding at least 1 wire every shift.  Really annoying part?  All the wiring was blue.  We all felt sorry for the techs that had to work on it.  And they wouldn't let us "normal"/non-school trained techs get even close to it.  Not that we wanted to!

Hey, I used to work on Streamliner--and its predecessor, DSTE. . .I enjoyed working on both of them. Discrete component/logic troubleshooting at its best. You could follow every signal from gate to gate.  That wire wrap panel was a serious pain though. . .but not as bad as the one in SCARS (the one I mentioned earlier in the thread).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Hey, I used to work on Streamliner--and its predecessor, DSTE. . .I enjoyed working on both of them. Discrete component/logic troubleshooting at its best. You could follow every signal from gate to gate.  That wire wrap panel was a serious pain though. . .but not as bad as the one in SCARS (the one I mentioned earlier in the thread).

I rest my case!  :)

• Like 1