IGNORED

TI Forth ONLY machine?

GDMike

2 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

I am sure we could work out something. There is obviously a lot to consider besides the Forth code—the vectors at >0000; the XOP vectors at >0040; system routines like KSCAN, ISR, cassette tape I/O, XMLLNK, (GPLLNK), DSRLNK. I put GPLLNK in () because it invokes the GPL interpreter, which is a significant part of the system ROM, and we would probably need to remove any GPL access. The only use made of GPLLNK in fbForth 2.0 is at startup for loading the system font(s); for the BEEP and HONK tones; allowing use of GPLLNK by Forth; and the MG DSRLNK for disk I/O. If we eliminate GPLLNK , we (I) would need to load the system font(s) and manage the two system tones with our own ALC. DSRLNK would need to be rewritten in ALC that does not invoke the GPL interpreter (easy enough without cassette I/O). If we want cassette I/O, we would have to keep that routine and figure out how to include it in DSRLNK .

Sorry for all the rambling, but there is a lot to consider.

...lee

Yeah. There is a checklist for sure. Absolutely essential ROM routines would have to be rewritten, maybe better.

• Thanks 1

I'm willing to give my time to this cause. I'm not sure where yet, but I can do the ROM mod as illustrated by Thierry's instructions. I can't burn any code. 

And I'm good at drinking beer (joke)..Nuff said.  I'm not into cutting holes for switches into the case, but I was thinking of an alternative to the switch issue between old and new ROM of maybe somehow making that switch RF, BT with a BT module cart transmitter at >6000? , or software controlled.. Maybe farmerpotato had a plan about that?

20 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm willing to give my time to this cause. I'm not sure where yet, but I can do the ROM mod as illustrated by Thierry's instructions. I can't burn any code. 

And I'm good at drinking beer (joke)..Nuff said.  I'm not into cutting holes for switches into the case, but I was thinking of an alternative to the switch issue between old and new ROM of maybe somehow making that switch RF, BT with a BT module cart transmitter at >6000? , or software controlled.. Maybe farmerpotato had a plan about that?

Wow, RF. Umm..

Software controlled.. That's interesting. Also a lot of parts and wiring.

You don't have to cut a hole if you snake the wire out one of the air vents. Me, I'm not afraid of cutting holes. 

First melt a hole in the plastic with your soldering iron.

Install a pretty toggle switch with a lock nut like this one:

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G23497

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was a mere thought, I thought we were in the days of wireless, where everything runs in the air... Even my hair brained ideas.. whahaha... I don't mind punching holes, but it's tacky..of course I'll punch a hundred holes if I get a Forth only Machine! I'm sure I'll manage the floating idea..

• Like 2

I am still lurking but captcha keeps killing me here on my phone.

when get back I will put together a kernel with isr tables etc, beep, honk,fonts on boot from Grom written in Forth and dsrlink and rs232 which is ALC.

then I need a routine to create the even odd bin files which I can do in HSForth.  I like this idea.

Edited by TheBF
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can't think of a reason that the ROM organization would change.  I will review that information. Thanks for the reminder that it is up there.

Edit:

I am not sure what part of the ROMS you want changed but I would like to put in a proper programmable list of interrupt vectors at the top of the ROMS. In a perfect world they would be in RAM so we could change them as needed. 

Edited by TheBF
  • Like 1