IGNORED

The Best 8 Bit Game music?

joeventura

I'll check it out, thanks! I do really think some of the best Atari game music has come from home-brews in the last couple of decades though, especially those that take advantage of Stereo Pokey upgrades. Some of those would have to be included in my best Atari tunes list.

• Like 1

thanks for the link!

some good tracks there but "best" is too subjective, i think "favourite" would be better... some miker tunes from recent years would have been an appropriate inclusion :)

(i always thought one man and his droid sounded out of key tho..?)

While nice, the best is actually what the author of the video liked most...You could have 30 of these video's with mostly different content..

A voted on system at least allows some grouped thoughts..

Nice video though, just poorly named...

• Like 1

Evil as I am, here is more than an hour of A8 game music:

A8 game music

Alas, some old tunes like MULE, Koronis Rift, Schreckenstein, etc. are missing and a lot of the newer tunes, since I made these recordings around 2003-2004. Believe it or not, most recordings were made from gamesound-demos and not the original games. I was too lazy back then to load all the games, instead I did load some gamesound-demos and did choose most sounds from a menu and then recorded the sounds and later converted them into MP3 (224kbit). Think there was no gamesound-demo with the mentioned missing sounds or I simply did not know them.

I also recorded various sounds from A8 demos:

A8 demo music

And errrm, in the Jaguar forum they are waiting for the Jaguar SD-card (cartridge) to arrive and while the SD-card plays all available ROMs and most game CD's, it does not play the (audio and/or ingame) soundtrack from CD games. Well, I also recorded some Jaguar sounds... (you may download and listen to them, while playing the CD games from the SD card)...

Jag sounds 1

Jag sounds 2

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

I remember when playing the LastV8, just loading the game to listen to that scientific arrangement.

Red Max is a type of it's own. There is simply no other piece of music that perfectly adapted to POKEY sounds.

Ninja will always stay in a high position.

And all those gametunes that enhanced the gameplay very well: Gyruss, Pooyan .... that style of music.

Master of the Lamps ( the Carpet flight ) 

I also really liked the later musically development from Poland. Particular the "Snowball" Intro tune...

And, ofcourse the music in Yoomp! while playing.

22 hours ago, joeventura said:

So there's a 1 hour + compilation of the best Atari 8 bit video game songs.

Which do you think is Best.

I enjoyed MULE and it didnt even make the cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioO5dxQ66Ec

Tale (tail) of Beta Lyrae and Passionately we’re always my favorites BITD. 

Haven’t listened to this yet to see if those made the cut

Just now, joeventura said:

OMG My wife loves that song on the Atari!!!

It is REALLY one of the best-done songs. So distinctive and jaunty and fun. I watch it all the time still... (Both on youtbe and it's my goto when I play around with real hardware...)

13 minutes ago, adam242 said:

Ninja

World Karate Championship

ElekrtaGlide

Alternate Reality The City (Intro)

others that aren't coming to mind...

Those plus:

The Extirpator!

Draconus

Panther

Warhawk

Jet Set Willy

And maybe over all them "Waves" from Alternate Reality.

Just shows why video's named like this are misleading to listeners...There's a wealth of great music out there.......But not according to this person...

Remember I'm talking about the video and NOT Joe's post which was great (thank you Joe), apart from the video name its great to see the music being out there for others to enjoy..

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, emkay said:

To support my post above ;)

Wow - that is great!  Never heard of the game before.

I've posted this several times before, but this is probably my single favourite PoKey composition.  Wonderful tune, great percussion sounds.

• Like 3