IGNORED

Online sprite creator

fsf

10 hours ago, fsf said:

I got sick of having to math out sprites, and all the utilities I could find required installation (and, if I'm remembering correctly, they were all Windows-based).  So, I made this: https://fsf.io/projects/spritemaker

I hope it's useful to some of you!

pretty cool, but can i make a suggestion.  I did this some time ago in a  vb .net program and coded it to detect if a block was selected or not.  I would suggest that if a block is already filled you should be able to click it again to clear it and not have to clear the entire image.  this way if you accidentally click, you can correct it simply.

Edited by Shift838

to erase, right click or hold shift and click

the initial version used toggle-clicking as you suggest, but the ux got strange when dragging to paint

a way to perhaps implement both just popped in my head, though - hopefully it'll pan out. if all else fails, it could be a user-selectable toggle. thanks for the feedback!

edit: done - now whether you're in "paint" or "erase" mode is determined by if your first click paints (ie is on an empty cell) or erases (ie is on a filled cell).  subsequent dragging will paint in paint mode and erase in erase mode, but won't toggle a cell on and off. that ought to be much better for mobile users, for whom right-clicking and shift-clicking is a obnoxious/impossible

Edited by fsf
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I remember we already had one kind of this Sprite Editor Online.
it was from Sometimes99er but in flash :( anyway i really liked it, you could take as example maybe?

this is  the original link here on AtariAge: 

for use it you have to activate flash on your browser of course.

1.jpg

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions!

I added support for quad sprites, and made the text uppercase (here's lookin at you, oddeman!).  You might also notice that the site in general looks different ;)

I recently found a program called GraphiCV that's a jar; it's not _quite_ as simple as pointing a browser at a website, but is pretty great if you already have the JRE installed.  Anyway, it had a bunch of useful functions (flip, shift, etc) build in that I might copy off if I get the time.

ti99iuc, that looks awesome! I don't like having the Flash player installed, but I'll see if I can suss out the features from screenshots, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LASooner said:

I'd like a sprite editor that supports flipbook animation, so you can better author sprites to animate. Ideally I'd like to see it in Magellan but I'd take anything at this point

In Magellan you can create a small map for each frame, place one sprite frame on each map, and cycle between the maps. Not great, but I have used it several times.