IGNORED

Curt Vendel at the VCF East 2019 - Never seen Atari parts before.

BigBen

Excellent stuff there, didn't know half of the things....

Curt is da man.....

Seriously, you can see the passion Curt has, its not just a hobby and the stock he has is simply amazing, he could probably do a video a day for a year and still not show all the stuff he has acquired.

Thank you Curt and the guy for the video.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, xxl said:

13:31 - what demo flies in the background?

I think it's likely a user-created (on a Mac/PC) advertisement on video loop

from 12:30 onwards i've seen clear box images/titles for Touch Typing/Star Raiders/States & Capitals/Super Breakout/Hangman.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, BigBen said:

Nice video with Curt Vendel. We have never seen some Atari parts before.

Thank you Curt for the presentation.

VERY NICE!!!!!

No doubt about it: there is nothing like the 800. Talk about the BOSS, the real McCoy! 

;-)

Not only was the video interview excellent, but seeing how Curt set up the 400/800 display area impressed me to no end. This looks better than any official Atari show booth that I ever recall seeing, with all the goodies laid out in such a logical organized and aesthetically pleasing way. The only thing missing, would have been to have a large screen TV raised up on a pedestal with Star Raiders playing, which would have mimicked what I recall seeing at an early West Coast Computer Fair.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, adam1977 said:

That development 800 was cool, if only they'd continually developed the machine like Apple did ;-)

If Nolan could have avoided selling out to Warner, and perhaps sold it to the employees instead, history would have been significantly different. I especially liked the idea that Curt put forth of having a 9-pin serial, a 15-pin parallel, and the bus expansion connector on a more advanced version called the 800E.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

Absolutely love that 850!!!!!! Wonder how many actually exist. Based on his comments, they were production units??

atari850-metal-big.thumb.jpg.0ee354ddf98f8d15629c2a3829411a5b.jpg

Yep, the first batch at least was produced with the black metal case.  They were moderately hard to find back in the early 2000's, but I imagine they're much harder to find now. 

Ok Doc now you got me curious. Over time and through multiple postings you've made all kinds of hints as to having insider information on all things Atari. it's time to spill the beans, where did you work, and in what way were you involved with Atari? We know all about Curt, as well as several other famous Atari individuals that are on AtariAge, but at least to me you are a mystery ;-) .

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mytek said:

The only thing missing, would have been to have a large screen TV raised up on a pedestal with Star Raiders playing, which would have mimicked what I recall seeing at an early West Coast Computer Fair.

He sort of had that with a big TV and STar Raiders in the background, but yeah, a MASSIVE TV with that on must be an awesome watch....Talk about how immersive it must be...

I personally only display on retro 14" monitors at home, seeing Jumpman on my 42" (yeah I wamt something MUCH bigger) just looks wrong to me BUT when massively blown up I don't mind it, go figure..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mytek said:

Ok Doc now you got me curious. Over time and through multiple postings you've made all kinds of hints as to having insider information on all things Atari. it's time to spill the beans, where did you work, and in what way were you involved with Atari? We know all about Curt, as well as several other famous Atari individuals that are on AtariAge, but at least to me you are a mystery ;-) .

If he tells you he has to kill ya.. :)

Joking aside, I'd love to know as well...I knew lots of people in UK Atari but not well enough in that club to get any trinkets at the time..Was all just first name stuff and not much else..(well apart from the disks) so I love to hear from people who were inside..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I never knew of the 800D or Collette - note that as part of cost reduction the right cartridge slot seems to be gone.

Can't agree re the planned 400 with no keyboard or SIO - IMO that'd have reduced the BOM by maybe 40 bucks and they'd still have had an overpriced console - OK, maybe 4K RAM instead of 8 could have reduced it by nearer to $100 (but in any case a SIO-less Atari computer would be somewhat useless).

But you do have to wonder that given the FCC regs were relaxed so early in the computer's life, why didn't they do a cost reduced revision with less shielding?

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 2

Actually I think it would be a smashing success to have the developer board reproduced. I agree with Curt that is would have made the Atari the more venerable computer. Leaving the bus edge accessible at the back would have kept the 800 well ahead of the curve. Why not expose the world to just what the 800 really was? Not just the watered down version that made it's way to market... It's an easy enough thing to do...

I think an 800 A+ version with the developer side board and exposed expansion buss is well overdue... combined with an incognito this would be the ultimate Atari Retro Re-issue. It sure would be a nice upgrade path for existing units in an event...

image.gif.95dfa4e8af89a7e184ba54a8bd2c1eb3.gif

Don't you just love that image?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 4