IGNORED

Stranger Things...

PacManPlus

Hi guys...

I have begun mapping out a novelty game (no coding yet) based on the 'Stranger Things' show on Netflix.  It takes place in the mid 80s, so it will either be on the NES or the 7800.  I'd like to do it on the 7800, as that is my 'main' system, but the NES was more popular.  Not sure yet, but I'm leaning toward the 7800 of course. 

Once I have something to show, I'm hoping to be able to contact the writers / producers / Duffer Brothers to convince them to put it in the series, or just have a novelty game related to it that they can get behind.  (Yes, I know - delusions of grandeur).  Being that they are both from the same time period it might be a cool tie-in.

Anyway, I have the ideas of the basis and goal of the game, and the antagonists / protagonists.  I'm not giving away anything yet, but I will say that you play as Eleven.

I plan on using the engine from the Rainbow Brite game, so it will be in a similar vein.  Once I am ready I am also hoping to get @PAC-MAN-RED and @Synthpopalooza on-board for graphics and music (respectively) again, being that both Bentley Bear and Rainbow Brite came out so good...

BTW, I love this show now.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Sounds awesome. I’d like a high quality game for the series. Just to be safe, may want to check on that Palace Arcade mini-arcade that has like seven or so Stranger  Things type  games on it to not do something too similar. Mostly, they seem to involve eggos. One is just breakout, lol. 

• Like 2

Well the show (which I am a diehard fan of) kind of precedes the NES and 7800.  Seasons 1-3 have been set in 1983, 84, 85, when the 2600/INTV/COL were the primary home systems.  Season 4 starts filming in October, so Bob you'd have to hurry!  At this point, nobody is sure if they will continue beyond S4, which most expect to be set around Halloween again, this time 1986.  NES/7800/SMS were a bit more on the radar by then.  However, in terms of simple programming, NES might be better simply for musical possibilities, as Stranger Things soundtrack is quite critical to the show.  Then again, if you were to really be period-specific, probably should code it on Commodore 64!

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

Well the show (which I am a diehard fan of) kind of precedes the NES and 7800.  Seasons 1-3 have been set in 1983, 84, 85, when the 2600/INTV/COL were the primary home systems.  Season 4 starts filming in October, so Bob you'd have to hurry!  At this point, nobody is sure if they will continue beyond S4, which most expect to be set around Halloween again, this time 1986.  NES/7800/SMS were a bit more on the radar by then.  However, in terms of simple programming, NES might be better simply for musical possibilities, as Stranger Things soundtrack is quite critical to the show.  Then again, if you were to really be period-specific, probably should code it on Commodore 64!

I have been learning new POKEY tricks that put the NES to shame.  :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

From a selfish standpoint, I would like to see this programmed for the 7800, but Bob has provided our community with many great games, so I would understand if this ends up on the NES or any other system of his choosing. 

I've both machines hooked up all the time so I'm good for either :)

• Like 1

YES!!!

I drink a celebratory Beer in your honor whatever you come up with....I'd love to see it on 7800!   But I'd still get it for NES (Which I associate with the  Later '80s...Because ..Honesty) ...Anyhow It'd be Awesome if it DID become something licensed!!  The Show is Amazing!  And if they're smart, They'd be Honored to have you make something!  Plus you'd probably get some really Good Press,...As I could Imagine it being in one of those Extras that ya click on and they last a minute.    It's a Great Idea Bob.   Best of Luck!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

YES!!!

I drink a celebratory Beer in your honor whatever you come up with....I'd love to see it on 7800!   But I'd still get it for NES (Which I associate with the  Later '80s...Because ..Honesty) ...Anyhow It'd be Awesome if it DID become something licensed!!  The Show is Amazing!  And if they're smart, They'd be Honored to have you make something!  Plus you'd probably get some really Good Press,...As I could Imagine it being in one of those Extras that ya click on and they last a minute.    It's a Great Idea Bob.   Best of Luck!!!

I agree!  The show is amazing and if they have any clue, they would let Bob do it for free publicity.

• Like 6

With the show going into season 4 next it would make them right around the time the NES was finding it's way into every home. Should be interesting. If you get in touch with the Brothers, I would pick the console for the game based on what they would be interested in putting in the show if being in the show is possible. I'm nearly sure they would think this is awesome.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Shawn said:

That Zombie game you started a while back could be the ground work for a Stranger Things themed game?

I thought about it, but I'd rather keep that one going in the direction it was going in.

12 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I will work up a rendition of the theme song

Awesome - does that mean you're in?

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.  I wish I knew someone who knew someone in the inner circle of that show.  I don't actually think there's any chance they will even pay attention to me.

Also, I'm still on the fence on which system to do this for (the 7800 or the NES).  I already have the engine for the NES (I'd have to convert it for the 7800), and Shawn makes a good point about the NES being the popular system at the time of the 4th season.  But on the other hand, I'd rather do a new 7800 game, and if by some small miracle it does get connected to the show in some way it might make the 7800 more popular...34 years later.

So I'm still trying to decide.

• Like 3