IGNORED

Stranger Things...

PacManPlus

14 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.  I wish I knew someone who knew someone in the inner circle of that show.  I don't actually think there's any chance they will even pay attention to me.

Also, I'm still on the fence on which system to do this for (the 7800 or the NES).  I already have the engine for the NES (I'd have to convert it for the 7800), and Shawn makes a good point about the NES being the popular system at the time of the 4th season.  But on the other hand, I'd rather do a new 7800 game, and if by some small miracle it does get connected to the show in some way it might make the 7800 more popular...34 years later.

So I'm still trying to decide.

That's an account you could try tweeting.....

https://twitter.com/strangerwriters

In reality, you'd probably need a near-finished game, or at least a playable demo, before contacting them.  Something that is ready to go. 

PS: Apparently Hideo Kojima is a HUGE fan of this show, too. 

As for the system, depends on what your shooting for here, Bob.  If it's widespread downloads of ST fans, it would have to be something ubiquitous like a mobile/Android game.  If it's a step down, and say, just gamers, I'd have to argue for NES, as most classic gamers have one but 7800 is far less popular.  If "by some miracle" as you say, they were to use it, it might only be seen quite briefly.  Besides the boys' D&D game, most of the 80's toys only get a small glance, so the story can move on unimpeded.  i.e. I doubt it would renew interest in the 7800 per se.

IMO, you should write whatever is more comfortable to you.  If you think your NES engine will allow you to develop the game faster and with less headaches, maybe that's the way to go?  If a 7800 version can be made without that much more fuss/time, and you're looking to continue your "brand" on that system, go that way.  Keep in mind, that if the game can be made quick enough, and goes viral, that could of course catch the producers' attention.  Again, I think a flash/mobile game makes the most sense for that, with NES second, and 7800 or anything Atari lower.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, Greg2600 said:

Well the show (which I am a diehard fan of) kind of precedes the NES and 7800.  Seasons 1-3 have been set in 1983, 84, 85, when the 2600/INTV/COL were the primary home systems.  Season 4 starts filming in October, so Bob you'd have to hurry!  At this point, nobody is sure if they will continue beyond S4, which most expect to be set around Halloween again, this time 1986.  NES/7800/SMS were a bit more on the radar by then.  However, in terms of simple programming, NES might be better simply for musical possibilities, as Stranger Things soundtrack is quite critical to the show.  Then again, if you were to really be period-specific, probably should code it on Commodore 64!

Alternate time line where Atari Inc survived and the 7800 was released on time for Christmas 1984. Similar to the alt.universe on Fringe that highlighted the 7800, but with or without Eric Stoltz remaining as Marty McFly in Back to the Future.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 4:46 AM, PacManPlus said:

I thought about it, but I'd rather keep that one going in the direction it was going in.

Awesome - does that mean you're in?

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.  I wish I knew someone who knew someone in the inner circle of that show.  I don't actually think there's any chance they will even pay attention to me.

Also, I'm still on the fence on which system to do this for (the 7800 or the NES).  I already have the engine for the NES (I'd have to convert it for the 7800), and Shawn makes a good point about the NES being the popular system at the time of the 4th season.  But on the other hand, I'd rather do a new 7800 game, and if by some small miracle it does get connected to the show in some way it might make the 7800 more popular...34 years later.

So I'm still trying to decide.

Do both... but make the 7800 version better and release it first.  It would be cool with either version if it could possess the R.O.B. That would be extra notoriety. :)

If only there were some Axlon Andromans around in the retro scene...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Season 3 is better than Season 2 so you are in for a treat :)

The never really go back to the upside down anymore since season 1, just the mind trips. 

I thought they they were going to have to go there to save 11 in season 2 but her escape was like the Brown Hornet cliffhangers in the Fat Albert show, if anyone remembers those. 

• Like 1

I think I only watched season one where 11 goes to the dance. I never knew they made more shows till about a month ago. I was not looking for them and thought it was a 1 and done. Will have to someday watch Stranger Things. 

Watched all the Black Mirror series which was cool. Especially the chose your own adventure ones. 

I hope someday for a new 7800 game from ya. Till then we have plenty of PMP games to play..Armour Attack 2 and Meteor Shower come to mind as a great go to tonight..

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, Shawn said:

Season 3 is better than Season 2 so you are in for a treat :)

...except for the total and absolute exclusion of home computers and video games from the lives of teens in the mid ‘80s. I mean...c’mon. I was a geek (although not into D&D; that was more of an ‘80-‘83 fad where I grew up), and all my friends had some type of system by ‘85. And we used them ALL the time. Where is all of this stuff in Hawkins?? Why are the kids playing around with HAM radio setups? What about

modems? But for the fashion, the show could be set in 1975. I saw will packing up his 2600 in the last episode — and that was it for digital tech.

• Like 1

I don't know if I should continue in this thread, because at this point I'm probably going to go the NES route.  I already have the engine written, and I need to contact @PAC-MAN-RED as well to see if he's up to working on graphics.  If it works out well, I can always convert it to the 7800.  I'll try to keep that in mind when doing this one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I don't know if I should continue in this thread, because at this point I'm probably going to go the NES route.  I already have the engine written, and I need to contact @PAC-MAN-RED as well to see if he's up to working on graphics.  If it works out well, I can always convert it to the 7800.  I'll try to keep that in mind when doing this one.

Please do. I still have a) never played a game on the NES and b) have no intention of doing so. If it’s not on the 7800 I’m not going to be able to experience it!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Going the NES route will have more mass appeal. For sure to the audience and era being targeted in the show and it's upcoming seasons. I read that season 4 might not be airing until the end of 2020 or early 2021 so there would be plenty of time for your game to get in if that was to happen. If you end up with an endorsed Stranger Things game that would be so bad ass.

• Like 2

A spoilery thought...

Spoiler

It seems the Russians are still going to be a major part of season 4. It might be good to tie them into the story, but in a loose way to avoid any contradiction with season 4. I'd also position any backstory right after the events of season 3, and go light on any inventions, for the same reason.

And a non-spoilery one... Bob, you probably have some killer ideas on the game mechanics, but one that springs to my mind involves the walkie talkies. You could use them as the current character to call (i.e. switch) to another character elsewhere to solve minor puzzles. e.g. one character could shut off power at the Hawkins plant to allow another character to bypass a security system.

It's not a completely original mechanic, but I think it definitely mirrors much of the show structure, and I'd guess that it could be tied into your existing engine without too much hassle.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 2:55 PM, PacManPlus said:

I will do a rendition of the theme music for the NES and the 7800.  I will promise you this tho:  The POKEY version of it will sound much better.  The POKEY has so many advantages over the NES chip it ain't even funny.

• Like 3