IGNORED

Stranger Things...

PacManPlus

I understand it makes sense to do the NES game but I will never own a nes.. If a 7800 version is made count me in. 

I hope that this all works out and you get this game on the show. You deserve it for all your hard work you have done programming. 

Maybe it would draw people to check out your other games as well! 

:)

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

I will do a rendition of the theme music for the NES and the 7800.  I will promise you this tho:  The POKEY version of it will sound much better.  The POKEY has so many advantages over the NES chip it ain't even funny.

I meant to thank you for doing this - sorry, I didn't mean to not respond to you.  I'm sure they both will sound great.

...I've also been meaning to send @PAC-MAN-RED a PM too, to ask if he is into doing this.

Thanks again, guys.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:55 AM, PacManPlus said:

I don't know if I should continue in this thread, because at this point I'm probably going to go the NES route.  I already have the engine written, and I need to contact @PAC-MAN-RED as well to see if he's up to working on graphics.  If it works out well, I can always convert it to the 7800.  I'll try to keep that in mind when doing this one.

My Antenna went up and I sensed I had work to do. Sure thing Bob, shoot me an email and give me the skinny on what needs doing. And my 2 cents is - start with the NES, and then we will tackle the 7800. I guess I need to start watching this show and do my research.

illya

• Like 6

On 8/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, PAC-MAN-RED said:

My Antenna went up and I sensed I had work to do. Sure thing Bob, shoot me an email and give me the skinny on what needs doing. And my 2 cents is - start with the NES, and then we will tackle the 7800. I guess I need to start watching this show and do my research.

illya

This is not meant to be critical or taken that way. But do NES home brews sell?

From what I've seen [which is a small-sample fallacy, of course], the EverDrive and all of the emulation systems [whether by Hyperkin or the NES Mini] have the market sewn up.

2 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

From what I've seen [which is a small-sample fallacy, of course], the EverDrive and all of the emulation systems [whether by Hyperkin or the NES Mini] have the market sewn up.

My experience is that NES homebrew games absolutely sell. I have several KHAN Games' offerings and they typically sell out (not sure of amount of production, of course. Same for the games up on retrousb. Here's a solid article on the NES homebrew scene:

https://tedium.co/2018/04/10/nes-homebrew-scene-history/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

NES homebrews sell like hot cakes. Damn near any title released. The Everdrive and\or whatever emulation some choose has done absolutely nothing to homebrew sales whatsoever.

20 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

My experience is that NES homebrew games absolutely sell. I have several KHAN Games' offerings and they typically sell out (not sure of amount of production, of course. Same for the games up on retrousb. Here's a solid article on the NES homebrew scene:

https://tedium.co/2018/04/10/nes-homebrew-scene-history/

Thanks. And thanks for not using a link NintendoAge... 

Edited by Lynxpro

I actually WANT them to see this, and I'm hoping they will either tie it in to the show, or maybe have some sort of relation to it and allow it.  Someone else had mentioned that I should have something to show them before I made any attempts to contact them.  So we are doing that.

...also, wasn't it you who said that you might be able to get in touch with the person who represents the kids on that show?  Were you sincere with that offer?  Or should I forget about that avenue?

BTW, PAC-MAN-RED is awesome:

Demogorgon x4.gif

...as is Synthpopalooza:

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=656343

…also, the 7800 version will be 'kind of' worked on at the same time as the NES version.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

I actually WANT them to see this, and I'm hoping they will either tie it in to the show, or maybe have some sort of relation to it and allow it.  Someone else had mentioned that I should have something to show them before I made any attempts to contact them.  So we are doing that.

...also, wasn't it you who said that you might be able to get in touch with the person who represents the kids on that show?  Were you sincere with that offer?  Or should I forget about that avenue?

Twas me in both regards, and yes, I will absolutely contact this guy.  Whether he's willing to pass it along is the unknown (spent enough money with him!).  I feel like this game would go viral very quickly, at which point, most of the principles would see it.  I have no qualms tweeting these people either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Also of note:  The 7800 version of the theme is gonna rock out even more.  I am using an undocumented POKEY setting to generate a distorted guitar.  Currently stepping through 65,536 frequency settings in an attempt to generate a frequency table. :)

Just remember that if it's undocumented routines, it might not work for anyone down the road using that PokeyONE chip solution.

• Like 1

A possibility ... tho there is the possibility of a second POKEYOne which has all the I/O functions including the 2-tone SKCTLS mode I am using here.

The thing is ... I really want to push the classic hardware as far as I can, and basically show what it's really capable of.  The old POKEY really has a lot of hidden gold in it.

• Like 1

While this sounds cool, the only problem with adding these things (massive cutscenes, additional Pokey, etc.) is that development time skyrockets.  Feature creep is something I'd like to avoid.  We are already behind a few years with regards to what fans are doing for this show, and it's only a matter of time before someone else has a game out on a classic system first... (If it hasn't happened already)

I'd like to keep it fairly simple, if possible.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Synthpopalooza said:

A possibility ... tho there is the possibility of a second POKEYOne which has all the I/O functions including the 2-tone SKCTLS mode I am using here.

The thing is ... I really want to push the classic hardware as far as I can, and basically show what it's really capable of.  The old POKEY really has a lot of hidden gold in it.

Amen. Original hardware FTW...I get a nice chuckle out of the contingent of "Save the Ballblazer POKEYS from re-purposing" whenever they make some momentary noise here in the forums. Also, as great as the BupChip from Rikki & Vikki is, there is something about using stock materials and hardware from the 80s...

The thing is ... if POKEYOne gets to the point where it is a 100% cheap alternative to scavenging POKEYs, I am all for it.  The job for us as programmers is to push classic hardware to its limits, make it do things it wasn't designed to do, and keep the emulation people and hardware development people on their toes, scrambling to keep up.  ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Amen. Original hardware FTW...I get a nice chuckle out of the contingent of "Save the Ballblazer POKEYS from re-purposing" whenever they make some momentary noise here in the forums. Also, as great as the BupChip from Rikki & Vikki is, there is something about using stock materials and hardware from the 80s...

Okay, let's cannibalize Amiga PAULA chips and use them in 7800 carts then. After all, Atari Inc. financed the completion of the Amiga Lorraine chipset which they planned to use in their "Mickey" 16-bit console for release at Christmas 1985. Considering the 7800's cartridge slot supports external CPUs, RAM, sound chips, and graphics chips, it's not much of a thought exercise to imagine that Atari Inc would've had an XM-ish "Mickey" upgrade available for the 7800 at that time had our time line not ending up sucking so hard...