IGNORED

It doesn't get much more 'classic' than hhis

I had this fall into my lap at a garage sale for $20. It is a Heathkit H8 Computer and H9 terminal. I thought at first it was some sort of specialty computer for business / industrial use, but it was actually an early home computer sold to hobbiests like the Altair 8080.  I have all of the documentation and diagrams that came with it. The H8 unit doesn't power up, but I got some advice in vintage computer groups on facebook from people who are familiar with it and it probably just has a blown power supply fuse. I plan to investigate further when I get the time to do so. I plan to keep it and add it to my collection. Hopefully my Amiga 1200 won't be jealous of me spending time with another computer.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.thumb.jpg.4241085088e6de419eaba69f3a1dffe1.jpgZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.thumb.jpg.89ee995b50ad9dfed1ed74e1d45a6899.jpg

• Like 12

Wow! Nice that it found a home with an enthusiast. 

I just looked this up, the computer part was surprisingly inexpensive for a computer, for the time, probably because it was initially sold as a kit. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit_H8

But the terminal part was over $500 1970s bucks, so it wasn't cheap ...especially considering what was coming up soon in home computing. 

Did you happen to learn anything about the original owner?

It's not clear if the base H8 includes any ram that makes it work without buying the ram card (sold seperately).  The Altair includes a small amount of ram on the processor card.  And the Apple computer had ram and other components on board that made it a good buy.

---------

From the photo I see four cards.  The default processor card, an 8k ram card, a 16k ram card (must have been expensive).  I'm guessing the fourth card is an rs232 serial card.

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, --- Ω --- said:

Awwwww Maaaaaan some guys have all the luck!

Perseverance, my friend, My two hobbies are yard sales and old computers

On 8/7/2019 at 3:12 PM, jhd said:

Wow, I have never seen any hardware of that vintage outside of a museum. Great find! What cards are included?

The CPU is an 8080 and it is on one of the cards. There is an 8KB and a 16KB Memory board, the last one is for the terminal interface.  It uses a propriety bus that is similar to the s-100

On 8/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, mr_me said:

It's not clear if the base H8 includes any ram that makes it work without buying the ram card (sold seperately).  The Altair includes a small amount of ram on the processor card.  And the Apple computer had ram and other components on board that made it a good buy.

---------

From the photo I see four cards.  The default processor card, an 8k ram card, a 16k ram card (must have been expensive).  I'm guessing the fourth card is an rs232 serial card.

You are correct about the four cards - and I am impressed. I don't know much about computing before the PET / Apple II / TRS-80 were released. I didn't think it was intended for home use at first partly because it was such a big, heavy, expensive in 1977 beast 

19 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

What about a Disk drive controller card?  Is one still available for it?  That thing would rock with a Lotharek HxC!

gallery_35324_1232_324514.jpg

I found a PDF of a controller card from a few years back...

H8-Z37_FLOPPY_CONTROLLER V1_2.pdf 4.68 MB · 0 downloads

There was an external disk drive available for $675 or it can use audio cassettes for storage.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

I'd love to see a couple more photos once it's all cleaned up and working.

I will be happy to do so. It's clean now and was actually much worse when I got it than what you see in the photo. It was in a guys basement in Maine for an unknown number of years. I guess that is either really good or really bad, I'm a life long Florida resident and we don't have basements since the water table is only a few feet from the surface.