IGNORED

Has Anyone Used BoxMyGames.com for Jaguar Repro Boxes?

sixersfan105

http://www.boxmygames.com/atari-jaguar/

Haven't seen this site referenced here on AA but I recently came across it and it would appear that they make "high quality" game box reproductions using the "original material real boxes were made of." Sounds like they also put their logo in place of original barcodes, so no risk of scammers trying to pass these off as the real thing, which is always appreciated. 

At $12.50 per Jaguar game box, they seem pretty steep, especially since you can get many NOS Jaguar boxes for less than that. Looks like they do offer discounts for larger quantity orders (4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 quantities are all listed).

Has anyone used this service for repro boxes for Jaguar or other retro systems? Would appreciate any and all insight! Was thinking of getting an AirCars box through them. Thanks!

Right, just the outer box. However, the cartridge holders can be found on eBay for under $1 each when purchased in packs of 25. 

I personally would never buy repro boxes of boxes I already have. Seems like a waste of money. I get that some people would do what you suggested, though. 

I agree I wouldn't buy second boxes either, but I could see how some collector's might. I don't know, I was trying to think outside the "box".

For most game boxes, I'd just wait to buy the real thing though instead of spending money on both an imitation box and an insert. The thing is, these games don't seem to be getting any cheaper. If anything, the market for Jaguar games/consoles has really skyrocketed in recent years.

I'd just save to buy the original, but that's just my opinion and I understand that's not the case for everyone. I do agree with you that it's cool to see they are putting there logo on the boxes instead of the bar-code.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

Nope, For $12.50 I would just get a few and see how they are, if they suck then it's no big deal

Fair point. I've been waiting six weeks for five repro Jag boxes to come in from that eBay seller based in Croatia. He only charges $4.99 plus cheap $6 shipping for that bundle of five boxes, but given that lead time (assuming my package isn't lost entirely), I will NOT be ordering from that guy again. Sheesh.

Just now, sixersfan105 said:

Fair point. I've been waiting six weeks for five repro Jag boxes to come in from that eBay seller based in Croatia. Needless to say, I will NOT be ordering from that guy again. Sheesh.

As someone who has ordered from various countries and is originally from the UK... 6 weeks is not necessarily the sellers fault, I've had stuff that's been tracked into the country and then sat in customs for 2 months. Usually odd things that come from eastern european locations. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

As someone who has ordered from various countries and is originally from the UK... 6 weeks is not necessarily the sellers fault, I've had stuff that's been tracked into the country and then sat in customs for 2 months. Usually odd things that come from eastern european locations. 

Yeah but both Croatia and the UK are both in the EU (for the moment). 

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

Fair point. I've been waiting six weeks for five repro Jag boxes to come in from that eBay seller based in Croatia. He only charges $4.99 plus cheap $6 shipping for that bundle of five boxes, but given that lead time (assuming my package isn't lost entirely), I will NOT be ordering from that guy again. Sheesh.

I bought a couple of boxes and shipping took a few months. I sent him a message and he resent the boxes no charge. I got those in about 6 weeks. After a few days, his original order arrived and the shipping box was completely destroyed. It could be a few months at least.

As far as quality, the boxes and nice and glossy, think paper. The printing isnt the best, kinda dark and a little blurry. For the $5 price tag, I am happy with it. If you have reasonable expections on a $5 box, you should be ok with them. I got a few NES boxes, those were nice. Some of the boxes were really nice, some were ok. I am happy with all of them for the price.

Edited by Machine
forgot something.

1 minute ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yikes, sounds like it could be a little while yet. Thanks, @Machine. Hmm, dark and blurry - sounds like Telegames' official releases (at least since they degraded the box quality a while back).

Actually, that is a good way to describe them. I still think they are worth the $.

• 2 weeks later...

Circling back on this. I did, indeed, make a purchase at BoxMyGames for an AirCars box and a few others (to replace my Croatia order that may never come - I was refunded in full btw). I am VERY impressed by the quality of these boxes. They feel very similar to the original Jaguar boxes. You know how with the recent runs of Telegames boxes, once you open the top flap even once, there are permanent creases everywhere? Not so with these. Much more in line with an official release from that standpoint. Text is fairly clear, too. 

Since I purchased a pack of five total boxes, they came out to around $9 and change instead of $12.50 per. Their communication is lacking - no order confirmation outside of PayPal's automatic "you have paid X to Y" and no tracking given (on PayPal or otherwise), but my package arrived a few days after ordering - they come from West Virginia - and it was well packed in a box and, like I said, excellent quality. 

They also come with cartridge inserts but they're pretty flimsy compared to the box and the Jag carts are pretty snug in there - too snug. You're better off with the cart inserts on eBay. The attached picture has a tear on the top right corner of the cart cutout from my forcing a Jag cart in there haha. 

Here are some pictures of the AirCars box. Couldn't recommend more!

677ECF4F-2859-48C8-9356-CD6E491A3D2D.jpeg

04CE555C-D581-4BCA-9363-58C8EB25FBA0.jpeg

F4653024-FBC7-44DF-BF8C-60CD9F72A053.jpeg

4FC78A40-2BE2-4169-A4D0-6D0E09B2C9BA.jpeg

8AF4C9BE-2DDD-4F26-9CBA-36F02C8DCA07.jpeg

• Like 1

Happy to! I wonder if I can convince these guys to start making Atari 2600/7800 boxes? My assumption is that they added Jaguar to their portfolio because they're the same size as SNES and N64 boxes and they didn't have to invest in a separate size. Then again, they also offer NES, Game Boy, Game Gear and 32X, so maybe they'd jump into the older Atari scene, too!