IGNORED

Will any of the new modules allow loading and running of Myarc Advanced Basic?

dhe

Myarc Advanced BASIC (the one for the Geneve) uses a lot more memory than is available on the TI, as it builds a 128K user space (64K program, 64K string). The TI doesn't have that much directly addressable space. In addition, it was written to run in an MDOS environment, so there will be a lot of additional MDOS dependencies in the code. Lastly, it wasn't designed to bank switch, so it won't adapt to the cartridge space in any of the available cartridges. One note though: since the source code is available, you could potentially adapt it to do all of those things, with the exception of the memory issues--but if you target a system with SAMS memory, you might be able to make it work.

• Like 3

I'm not saying Myarc Advanced Basic for the Geneve couldn't be implemented on a SAMS system, however, keep in mind it does indeed really depend upon most of the SYSTEM/SYS file for MDOS.  There are memory management, DSR, Video, Keyboard, and UTIL XOP routines that are used.  Fortunately, all the source code does exist.  It would just be a monumental task to convert back to a 4A version, little alone a version to work within the SAMS card.  There would be somewhere around 80 to 90K of XOP source code rewritten plus the source to ABASIC.

A simpler task would have been to use Myarc's TI-99/4A version of Advanced Basic, however, I know of nobody that has the source code for the TI-99/4A version. I spoke with Lou Phillips this morning and he is going to look through some of his things and see if he still has the files, etc.

While I would think it would be a nice idea for the SAMS card, I think it would be a project for one's more personal use.  There are a number of people still with Myarc 128/512K cards that could run Myarc's Advanced Basic for the TI, however, I would ask how many people are actually using it?  Even for that matter, I have not really heard anyone using the Geneve Advanced Basic either in this day and age.

Most of what programming I am doing now is for my own personal use and pleasure, so I definitely understand the satisfaction factor of making something like that happen.  However, I would caution anyone doing something along this nature to think where their personal reward is being driven.  Is it the satisfaction of being able to do it and is all for oneself, or does one need to see the reward of many people using it to be the driver.

Beery

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

If Lou does find any of his TI/Geneve source code, the DSR and PAL coding source for any of the Myarc cards would also be quite helpful, and if he still has the coding specs for the gate array, that would be something in super bonus territory. . .  :)

I have asked, will see what he can deliver.  He did say he had a couple of boxes of stuff and still had his development system.

Beery

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kl99 said:

I assume Lou bought the license on a lot of TI-99 stuff. So his boxes could contain a lot of not yet preserved stuff.

Wow. Beery try your best :)

Yes, I agree.  That could potentially be a gold mine if he's willing to share.  WOW!

• Like 1