IGNORED

After you got your TIPI, what do you use your RS-232 for?

Omega-TI

After I got my P-Box TIPI, I removed my HDX and the secondary RS-232 card because the TIPI does everything the HDX card and UDS-10 did with the exception of printing.  But this begs the question, what to use the RS-232 for?

Are there any ideas or useful gadgets we could build or use to hook up the RS-232 to give our legacy computer some extra capabilities?

Well, though I've not switched to a TIPI yet, seven different signal routing/processing devices in my setup are controlled via RS-232, so I'm never not going to be messing around with RS-232, myself.  Audio/Video signals aside, I've got more RS-232 connections than I do anything else.  Even USB or PS/2.  So that'll never go away, in whatever combination of functional and frivolous uses.  Since RS-232 is what gives my TI99 the ability to dictate how it is displayed/routed. 

Edited by pixelpedant
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, --- Ω --- said:

How can you remember what is what?  react_confused.png

setup.jpg

A lot of very careful labelling of front panels.  But the Extron devices can in three important cases store presets in internal memory.  So once configured, selecting a configuration (my TI99 being preset 1) is just a matter of sending "1." via RS-232, in the case of the 8x8 matrix switch which is the main concern, for example.  Or, somewhat more complicatedly, sending "2127H1019/0470:0504;" to the VSC-500 to adjust the picture to my favoured TI99-suitable dimensions. 

I feel very strongly that my TI99 should be able to adjust its own CRT output picture aspect ratio :P

• Like 1