IGNORED

RF switch

cjherr

I’m looking for suggestions. I have half a dozen vintage systems that I connect to a TV simply using the RF cable with a converter to coax on channel 3, and I’m lucky enough that I get great output. However, I really don’t want to have to swap plugs every time I want to change systems, and everything i’ve tried introduces noise into the signal. Can anyone point me to a good solution?

Thank you,

-Chris

The RCA to coax adapter is exactly what I'm doing now, and as far as signal quality goes, it's great. I tried splitters and multi-in in to one out RCA switch boxes, and they all introduce noise. I'm hoping someone has a clever hack that will save me from swapping cords all the time.

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

An RCA switchbox is probably not designed for RF signals.  Not sure what you mean by splitters but an AB switch with coax F connectors is meant for RF signals.

Pretty much this. You also want to make sure you're using manual switches- anything automatic is going to have trouble with the weak signals of 70s systems. I have this one, myself- The toploader NES is hooked up to one side, and an f plug adapter is on the other. I mounted the switch to the side of my entertainment center with 3M strips to keep it in reach, and just hook up other consoles as needed. My main issue is, sometimes the buttons don't fully swap signal and you get static. This is usually solved by wiggling the button around a bit.

I know if you look around, there are ABC switches that can run 3 inputs at once, but I think you'll have a hard time getting a setup for all your systems at once without some static creeping in. Considering how good your straight connection is, maybe just get a cable drop (these) to hold your coax cable somewhere more convenient? Cable-swapping isn't so bad if you can keep your connections within easy reach.

13 hours ago, cjherr said:

I’m looking for suggestions. I have half a dozen vintage systems that I connect to a TV simply using the RF cable with a converter to coax on channel 3, and I’m lucky enough that I get great output. However, I really don’t want to have to swap plugs every time I want to change systems, and everything i’ve tried introduces noise into the signal. Can anyone point me to a good solution?

Thank you,

-Chris

This was kind of gone over in this thread:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/269054-connecting-old-systems-like-2600-to-modern-tvs

This is what I posted in that tread - great opinions for multiple RF inputs - plus cheap on eBay.

Just copy a part # and search eBay - usually $5-25.

Some have coax and RCA connectors.

Here is a list from that thread with the radio shack / Archer switch types / part numbers.

All are pretty cheap and work well.

all coax (type f) unless listed.

15-1260 - white Push buttons - black with wood sides - 3 outputs (two select-able) five inputs with one RCA

15-1261 - same as 15-1265 but wood grain and bigger knobs

15-1262 - like 1261, but three out

15-1263 - powered 4 * 4 composite video + stereo ( not coax, but listed for info)

15-1264 - three out - no rca in - amplified

15-1265 - silver - five in - two out. one connector in a rca

15-1266 - Black push button - two out - five in - no rca

15-1267 - NES / sega automatic switch

15-1268 - OLD school atari style slide rf swtich - both 75ohm and 300 connectors

15-1269 - another old school rf switch - 300 ohm connectors only

15-2100 - black push button three out - no rca - amplified