IGNORED

Incognito - Now's your chance!

Hilarious! I just purchased kits of both 74HCxx IC's and sockets in preparation to continue my 800 upgrade boards, then I see this pre-order! I'll use the IC and sockets eventually anyway, which is why I ordered entire kits with dozens of pieces. My birthday being in 3-4 days gives me the excuse I need to order an Incognito...it will be very late B-day present, but worth the wait! Sorry @ClausB , but I guess I won't be bothering to finish your 800 62K upgrade after all...I'll just keep it a 48K board as I have it now and wait on my Incognito! This also means I won't be doing your Axlon or 52K upgraded boards either, though I know you were wanting someone to test out the 62K board. which I was going to do for you. I'm happy to save all the work though, I've got enough other projects anyway!

I've got it in my shopping cart and am waiting until 12 AM August 12th to make it an official B-day present to myself!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Technoid Mutant said:

I don't think you'll get joysticks 3 and four in xl mode because the XL/XE use the location those used.  $D301 is the byte vacated when these ports were deleted.  Memory upgrades use it for addressing for that reason, it was a reserved byte with nothing left to do.  So trying to use the ports in XL/XE mode would interfere with internal basic, self test, ram under the OS, and any ram above 64k.  Basically the whole XL/XE thing.

** TNM **

No, that's not how Incognito's register mapping actually works (or could work) with Joy. 3 & 4 registers.

We already have feedback from its creator, on this regard.

And not only that, we already have RIGHT-cart boot in XL-mode, with appropriate OS.

34 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Hilarious! I just purchased kits of both 74HCxx IC's and sockets in preparation to continue my 800 upgrade boards, then I see this pre-order! I'll use the IC and sockets eventually anyway, which is why I ordered entire kits with dozens of pieces. My birthday being in 3-4 days gives me the excuse I need to order an Incognito...it will be very late B-day present, but worth the wait! Sorry @ClausB , but I guess I won't be bothering to finish your 800 62K upgrade after all...I'll just keep it a 48K board as I have it now and wait on my Incognito! This also means I won't be doing your Axlon or 52K upgraded boards either, though I know you were wanting someone to test out the 62K board. which I was going to do for you. I'm happy to save all the work though, I've got enough other projects anyway!

I've got it in my shopping cart and am waiting until 12 AM August 12th to make it an official B-day present to myself!

Nice!

Just wait and see... You will never look back! ;-) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kyle22 said:

The player never worked on mine. I think Jon explained the reason at one time, but I can't find it now.

NEVER had any problem with Avery's player on Incognito... You need, however, a specific Player-load to read Incognito SIDE/CF registers... and only ONE of those loads work...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

NEVER had any problem with Avery's player on Incognito... You need, however, a specific Player-load to read Incognito SIDE/CF registers... and only ONE of those loads work...

I think the issue for kyle also relates to the spinning disk, I don't think I played video off of the cf disk, but I was able to play video off the cf card... in any event how about you shoot kyle whatever you are playing your video's with... and kyle try it with a solid state cf card and with the cf spinning disk.

I have a feeling you will have some clarity...

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I think the issue for kyle also relates to the spinning disk, I don't think I played video off of the cf disk, but I was able to play video off the cf card... in any event how about you shoot kyle whatever you are playing your video's with... and kyle try it with a solid state cf card and with the cf spinning disk.

I have a feeling you will have some clarity...

I don't generally advocate using MicroDrives with the Incognito; some work, but the unit Kyle sent me for testing behaves strangely in as much as reading the IDE status register while DRQ is asserted knocks the controller out of 8-bit PIO mode. The Phi2 'dropped/double reads' check in the PBI BIOS triggers this every time and makes the MicroDrive unusable without a special version of the PBI BIOS with the DRQ check stripped out.

If anyone would like such a build of the PBI BIOS, please let me know. As for the video player (which should not cause this issue anyway), I wonder if the problem is related to seek latency.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Faicuai said:

CPLD code most likely be fixed on the latest batch... Wonder where the files are, though

No: the 'memory protection' bug Kyle refers to is not currently fixed. I asked Candle about a possible fix this morning by email (via Lotharek), and Candle replied with the Polish word for "I'll see". :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

This is the correct link:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=276

:)

Sorry, Jon, I didn't realize there was a version with your firmware on it until after I posted the initial link. Honestly I don't know why he doesn't just ship all of them that way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

I wish I had known that before I ordered. Can I buy your firmware after I get my board?

Thank you.

You could probably contact Lotharek to update the order OR you can flash it yourself and send Jon some funds via paypal at his website 

Just now, toddtmw said:

There are two versions. The less expensive one is still there with the other link. The difference is the more expensice one has FJC's firmware which adds significant functionality and improvements.

I ordered the cheapre one because I didn't realize there were two...

I didn't realize either (Lothareks post on his main page didn't reference it so I missed it until later) I am trying to get it updated in the first post 

1 minute ago, toddtmw said:

There are two versions. The less expensive one is still there with the other link. The difference is the more expensice one has FJC's firmware which adds significant functionality and improvements.

I ordered the cheapre one because I didn't realize there were two...

Thanks, I'm ordering the cheaper one too. I can load new firmware myself, I'm not paying an extra $30 for that "service." That's ridiculous. I'd definitely rather give Jon donations separately at my convenience like I have in the past.

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

Thanks, I'm ordering the cheaper one too. I can load new firmware myself, I'm not paying an extra $30 for that "service." That's ridiculous. I'd definitely rather give Jon donations separately at my convenience like I have in the past.

Yep. That's what I'm going to do too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddtmw said:

That's fine, but it would be nice if you would shoot Jon a donation when you load it.

Agreed, that's what I am doing. The amount of time Jon has put into updating and improving this firmware is insane, I liken it to paying a premium for the added functionality and ease of use (plus support) rather than a cost of the actual flashing. 

Indeed part of the price difference goes directly to Jon from Lotharek 

28 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

Can I buy your firmware after I get my board?

You can download my firmware free of charge and apply the update yourself. Donations are welcome for those inclined to show support, but are not mandatory. ;)

The update process is as safe and simple as I can make it, but there's always the Sod's Law victim who suffers a power-cut mid-flash, has an installation issue which stalls the update, or manages to out-fox the safety measures with 'between the chair and the desk' ingenuity. :) The TL866 USB EPROM flasher is a recommended purchase for those who want to be totally insured against disaster.

But I stress: during firmware development here, since last July, I flashed beta versions dozens upon dozens of times to various machines via UFLASH and maybe had recourse to the TL866 once after making some dumb programming error which made it onto real hardware in a test build and was bad enough to stop the machine from booting.

Please don't argue about donations, etc: again - while appreciated, they are entirely voluntary. If the end user has the know-how and confidence to update the firmware after purchasing the cheaper version, I cannot see a sane argument against them doing so (especially since it's desirable to be able to apply further firmware updates in the future). In the interests of clarity, I pointed out that I receive less than half of the premium surcharge, but Lotharek has his own overheads to deal with. I won't coerce anyone one way or another. The firmware is licensed for those making a profit by selling it pre-installed on hardware, but it is free to download for the end user. Simple as that.

Thanks everyone for their support. :)

PS: Note my post #31 was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat
typos
  • Like 7

Gentlemen..please, stop

thank You for supporting me, Candle, FJC. big amount of work ahead me and Candle ;-)

Also, please remeber:  

Thanks to your purchase I can keep on helping kids from Special Needs School in Piekary Slaskie. In addition, I`m one of the supporters of KID`S DAY in my JUDO CLUB, where big party is organised and money collected for kids. Last, but not least, I support almost every retro party I visit and Judo Club CZARNI BYTON as this sport - next to retro gaming -  is my passion. 

So, feel proud ! Feel happy and enjoy ATARI !!!  .... and judo ;-)

dzieciaki.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Everyone just chill for a moment.  There was no deliberate attempt to spread false information, just a mistake.  Why is everyone so testy these days?  We're ready to bring out the pitchforks and torches at at a drop of a hat.  

I'll edit the posts to remove the offending comment and clean up the thread, but come on guys, we're better than this.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lotharek said:

Thanks to your purchase I can keep on helping kids from Special Needs School in Piekary Slaskie. In addition, I`m one of the supporters of KID`S DAY in my JUDO CLUB, where big party is organised and money collected for kids. Last, but not least, I support almost every retro party I visit and Judo Club CZARNI BYTON as this sport - next to retro gaming -  is my passion. 

dzieciaki.jpg

That's really nice of you to do that. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

That's really nice of you to do that. :)

unfortunatelly, those kids in my sick country do not get support from goverment thet deserve. my father is head director of this school, and he spends a lot fo time in serch for supporters... it is sad, but true

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lotharek said:

unfortunatelly, those kids in my sick country do not get support from goverment thet deserve. my father is head director of this school, and he spends a lot fo time in serch for supporters... it is sad, but true

Please consider go fund me and other wonderful crowd funding sites for a boost!

Also consider adding donation links to help the causes you have outlined!

there is a whole world of good guys/girls waiting to help out!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, lotharek said:

Gentlemen..please, stop

thank You for supporting me, Candle, FJC. big amount of work ahead me and Candle ;-)

Also, please remeber:  

dzieciaki.jpg

?? ??

That is sweet!!!

Already bought two Incognito's in the past... so I am well stocked... BUT more than ready to contribute, whenever Version-2 comes out, and ANY other add-on or invention that leverage's Incognito's PBI bus !!! (or if you guys open a Fund-me campaign, too!)

Keep up the GREAT work, and best wishes to all you guys, and your father, too!!!!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2