IGNORED

Incognito - Now's your chance!

19831 ordered Aug 9th here, no mail yet. I suppose there would be a lot of ready-made stuff with higher numbers that was shipped long before Incognitos were finished, so it's just relative position of numbers that have a meaning here, not absolute differences.

Look out Incognito!  Here we come!

Oh, btw, for a cf to sd adapter, these work well and are cheap at the price, 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019REDBY6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BUT, this adapter, costs a couple of dollars more than the one above, but has spring-loaded, locking card slots and is sturdier of construction by far.  Yes, if you use two identical-sized sd cards, it spans them and makes them as one sd card, but I wouldn't bother.  Just use slot one and leave slot two unoccupied, this way the cards will be interchangable in any configuration. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07919JWZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the Sandisk 16 gig micro sd card with adapter works well, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073K14CVB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best,

Jeff

Edited by Technoid Mutant

So, you got me wondering. Is an SD card preferred to a CF? I assume you get more storage for your money but will that matter for something like the 8bit? I mean, how much space would we really need to put all of the Atari software onto one? 

Edited by Justin Payne

19 hours ago, Technoid Mutant said:

BUT, this adapter, costs a couple of dollars more than the one above, but has spring-loaded, locking card slots and is sturdier of construction by far.

Is the dual card adapter known to work with SIDE or Incognito? The first (single-slot) adapter you posted is known to work and even certified by Lotharek (I own two of them), but until the dual-card adapter is actually demonstrated working, it's a totally unknown quantity. Has it already been tested by anyone with either device?

50 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Is an SD card preferred to a CF?

Not by me. While the UDMA SD-CF adapter works, it's extremely janky when used in a primary/secondary dual physical disk configuration with an XEL-CF (1088XEL CF adapter). I have not experienced noticeable issues when using the adapters with a SIDE cartridge, but IMO the only manner in which they are preferable to CF cards is by virtue of the fact SD media is cheaper than CF media. No other advantage I can see, other than the fact not many PCs now have built-in CF readers (but you can buy a USB reader for spare change).

50 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

I assume you get more storage for your money but will that matter for something like the 8bit?

Well, precisely: the atarionline archive (which contains a colossal catalogue of 8-bit games and software) is some 900MB in size and contains 17,000 files. I have a pair of identical 4GB Sandisk CF cards here and cannot imagine any situation in which I could fill them up (except perhaps if I filled them with gargantuan video files for use with Phaerons's DMA video player).

Edited by flashjazzcat
typos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Is the dual card adapter known to work with SIDE or Incognito? The first (single-slot) adapter you posted is known to work and even certified by Lotharek (I own two of them), but until the dual-card adapter is actually demonstrated working, it's a totally unknown quantity. Has it already been tested by anyone with either device?

Not by me. While the UDMA SD-CF adapter works, it's extremely janky when used in a primary/secondary dual physical disk configuration with an XEL-CF (1088XEL CF adapter). I have not experienced noticeable issues when using the adapters with a SIDE cartridge, but IMO the only manner in which they are preferable to CF cards is by virtue of the fact SD media is cheaper than CF media. No other advantage I can see, other than the fact not many PCs now have built-in CF readers (but you can buy a USB reader for spare change).

Well, precisely: the atarionline archive (which contains a colossal catalogue of 8-bit games and software) is some 900MB in size and contains 17,000 files. I have a pair of identical 4GB Sandisk CF cards here and cannot imagine any situation in which I could fill them up (except perhaps if I filled them with gargantuan video files for use with Phaerons's DMA video player).

Yes, absolutely.  I bought one and am running it in my main machine now.  It works in both modes, as a single-card adapter compatible with the other one I posted, is running the card from one of those adapters with my data on it, no rewrites or anything else needed.  Just swap the sd card into it and boot.  I plugged a second card into it (same 16gig sandisk) and got 30 gigs reported in Fdisk.  I could not read my old data this way, when you plug a second card in, it wants you to re-initiialize a 30 gig drive, does not recognize the 16 gig card as having readable information.  Remove the second card and you can read your old data.  I see no reason to use the second card anyway, 16 gig is plenty, but this 2 slot card is a lot better made than the single card model.  It has spring-loaded locking and ejecting ports and a sturdier face, not having to make room for a full-sized sd card.  I like it better, but it works just the same as the other.  (This with Side2 either with or without U1MB).  So I think it should work just peachy with the Incognito.

Best,

Jeff

4 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

So, you got me wondering. Is an SD card preferred to a CF? I assume you get more storage for your money but will that matter for something like the 8bit? I mean, how much space would we really need to put all of the Atari software onto one? 

SD is cheaper than CF, more pc's have sd slots too, so you can more easily swap the card to your pc for file moving.  The 16 gig micro-sd (come with a full-sized sd adapter), plus the CF to SD adapter costs, like 16.00 total.  To get the same storage in sd only, you would pay more, and not have the flexibility of using either SD or CF to run it on your pc.  So in my book, this is the way to go.  I've got some five of the first kind, to put into the Incognitos I bought.  I have just the one of the dual slot card and think it is better still, doesn't require the full-sized adapter (Removing some extra contacts), and is sturdier and just nicer.  I'll use these from now on.

best,

jeff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Technoid Mutant said:

SD is cheaper than CF, more pc's have sd slots too, so you can more easily swap the card to your pc for file moving.  The 16 gig micro-sd (come with a full-sized sd adapter), plus the CF to SD adapter costs, like 16.00 total.  To get the same storage in sd only, you would pay more, and not have the flexibility of using either SD or CF to run it on your pc.  So in my book, this is the way to go.  I've got some five of the first kind, to put into the Incognitos I bought.  I have just the one of the dual slot card and think it is better still, doesn't require the full-sized adapter (Removing some extra contacts), and is sturdier and just nicer.  I'll use these from now on.

best,

jeff

I still use (on the PC) a 15-20 year-old Sandisk "universal" USB card reader, and for newer cards, like micro SD, I have adapters I can still use through this card reader. This card reader has been a peripheral through 4 different PC's I've had in that time.

IMG_20191011_222800.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I still use (on the PC) a 15-20 year-old Sandisk "universal" USB card reader, and for newer cards, like micro SD, I have adapters I can still use through this card reader. This card reader has been a peripheral through 4 different PC's I've had in that time.

IMG_20191011_222800.jpg

I have a couple as well.  One is new from china and is a good deal quicker than the older one though both as usb 2.0.  The sd plugged directly into the computer is much faster.  My PC's slot is MMCBLK, rather than USB, so MUCH faster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scotty said:

Are there any left?   I read that he would have like 15 or so left after the pre-orders were filled.  Did not havev the money at the time, but would like to get one.

As long as it doesn't say "sold out" and still let's you order on the site, then you could probably get one. E-mail them. It does say on the site, "available after 10-10" not "pre-orders only." I just dug deep and pre-ordered even though I couldn't really afford it at the time, and sacrificed in other areas because I didn't want to take any chance on missing out this time, like I did a decade or more ago...it has been 10 years or more since the first (last?) run, hasn't it?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Here's a link to the Chinese reader.  The price is only $3.00.  I kid you not.  NOT A TYPO.  Free shipping.  I ordered it on a whim and with no expectations.  It came a good six weeks later, but it is a real quality device and much faster than my old one, though it is still only USB 2.0.  The only thing I would like it to do that it does not, is to read multiple cards simultaneously, such as a cf and an sd so I can copy between them, but I think this is probably not a common feature for any of these.  Here's a link.  I paid only 2.20, the price has gone up 80 cents since then.  At this rate, in 15 years they might be charging what the thing is actually worth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZ6H9R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technoid Mutant said:

I have a couple as well.  One is new from china and is a good deal quicker than the older one though both as usb 2.0.  The sd plugged directly into the computer is much faster.  My PC's slot is MMCBLK, rather than USB, so MUCH faster.

Yeah, this one is fast enough for me, I only use it for transferring 8-bit files anymore, CF for my MyIDE II and soon Incognito, and SD slot for my micro SD adapter with card for my SDrive-max. I also have newer, faster SD slots on my computer and printer, this one is mostly for the CF cards, which I ONLY use with MyIDE II and Incognito soon.

2 minutes ago, Technoid Mutant said:

Here's a link to the Chinese reader.  The price is only $3.00.  I kid you not.  NOT A TYPO.  Free shipping.  I ordered it on a whim and with no expectations.  It came a good six weeks later, but it is a real quality device and much faster than my old one, though it is still only USB 2.0.  The only thing I would like it to do that it does not, is to read multiple cards simultaneously, such as a cf and an sd so I can copy between them, but I think this is probably not a common feature for any of these.  Here's a link.  I paid only 2.20, the price has gone up 80 cents since then.  At this rate, in 15 years they might be charging what the thing is actually worth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZ6H9R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow! Ok, I'm ordering that, for that price, even though I don't need it atm.