IGNORED

Incognito - Now's your chance!

Lotharek posted a photo on his Facebook page last night/this morning showing a stack of completed Incognitos for mailing ... I’m sure most of us will get our shipping emails soon. :) 

04BB55F0-3780-4CE5-A702-E510EE799A4D.jpeg

Edited by DrVenkman
Posted photo from Lotharek
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Lotharek posted a photo on his Facebook page last night/this morning showing a stack of completed Incognitos for mailing ... I’m sure most of us will get our shipping emails soon. :) 

04BB55F0-3780-4CE5-A702-E510EE799A4D.jpeg

Hooray!  (all chant) "L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K! L O T H A R E K!"

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

Yup, got mine this morning. Now I just need to find time to watch Jon's video and get this install complete. 

Nice!  I just got notice of my second shipment.  In it I also have the adapter board for my orphan VBXE card.  So I'm goint to have one of my very own installed real soon.  WooT!

It's interesting, but no way I'd replace the 800 badge with one on my machine! I'd rather have an extra Incognito badge on my 800. Just a small one to put on the 800 badge under the 800.

Edited by Gunstar

3 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

It's interesting, but no way I'd replace the 800 badge with one on my machine! I'd rather have an extra Incognito badge on my 800. Just a small one to put on the 800 badge under the 800.

For a logo, I think, a Man from the shoulders, silhouette only, head a little bowed to conceal his face with a black fedora,  Kinda like a certain linux emblem, but cooler.

Either that, or wearing a ski mask and brandishing an M60 machine gun.  Take your pick. ?

Best,

Jeff 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Just a small removable black "i" will do. If incognito 2 ever appears you can use the red "i". But, being incognito it's best not to add anything at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Almerian said:

Just a small removable black "i" will do. If incognito 2 ever appears you can use the red "i". But, being incognito it's best not to add anything at all.

Bingo! Exactly what I've always thought!

Make it lower-case, Italic, and proportionally smaller than the last "0" on the right. 

Classy and minimalistic (instead of a ghetto-like graffiti) ;-)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Faicuai said:

Bingo! Exactly what I've always thought!

Make it lower-case, Italic, and proportionally smaller than the last "0" on the right. 

Classy and minimalistic (instead of a ghetto-looking graffiti) ;-)

That's it, I'm going with the guy in the trenchcoat with the bazooka. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Almerian said:

Well, I never planned on adding anything at all, but I do have to say "what's best" is a matter of opinion and personal preference. I don't care if it is called Incognito; doesn't mean it has to be an upgrade that isn't mentioned on the case, IMHO, if I want something to show one is installed, that's my prerogative. Though I don't usually label my machines with what upgrades are inside and doubt I ever would in this case either. But if someone made a cool badge to add, I might. Maybe I'll add a 'Atari Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 800' badge to mine! ;) If I had designed the Incognito, I would have called it something else anyway, I don't care for the name. All internal upgrades are "incognito" anyway. Actually, I'd prefer sticking to the way Atari differentiated to the different 8-bit models with letters after the number. I'd probably go with 800CXE representing that it's still a "colleen" model and the "XE" for "extended line enhanced" like Atari did showing it's more than an 800 or XL model. The 'CXE' would be small, though, like you suggest with the 'i' but in capital font instead of lower case.

If an Incognito 2 or 3 ever come out I'm not upgrading just because there is a newer version anyway, I'll be satisfied to keep the original installed. It's not worth it to upgrade for some slight changes or improvements, it would have to be an extreme upgrade and I can't imagine that.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Haha 1

This 'i' prefix/suffix stuff... It's not an Apple device. :D

36 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

If I had designed the Incognito, I would have called it something else anyway, I don't care for the name. All internal upgrades are "incognito" anyway.

It seems to me that the name is perfectly descriptive:

Capture.PNG.2dd9ecb4f0a1e580d0683e9cc530c23a.PNG

"Identity" here being key. Outwardly, the Incognito machine looks like an Atari 800, but wait... when running in XL/XE mode, it is (almost) functionally identical to an XL/XE. Moreover, even this alternate identity can be cloaked when the Incognito is in "Colleen" mode (the machine then operates like a stock or RAM upgraded 800).

So - essentially - Incognito gives you an upgraded XL/XE which looks just like an 800. Meanwhile, I have several XL/XE machines with VBXE, U1MB, etc, and they all still look like XL/XE machines.

Of course, once you have produced the successor to Incognito, you have every right to call it what you like. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2