IGNORED

Incognito - Now's your chance!

1 hour ago, jamm said:

Nice job!  I just finished buttoning up mine after getting an SCCC in there and (inadvertently) fixing the SIO problem on my power board.  I still have to go back in and add the disk swap switch (and get the SCCC's video output through the built-in DIN rather than the separate cable).

The video quality is so good, I passed on putting the uav in there.  I had it all together, then noticed the speaker sitting on the table, so took it apart again, put it in, flipped it over and noticed I had accidentally put the colored cable on wrong...

One thing I had to do was patch in some wires so the two that go to the CPU board were long enough to route around. 

I was thinking of seeing if someone already has made the two tabs for the lid as a 3d model to print yet or not, as my second 800 just has screws.

Ha, is it weird that I want to get some sort of voice recognition to do ATR swaps?

27 minutes ago, leech said:

The video quality is so good, I passed on putting the uav in there.  I had it all together, then noticed the speaker sitting on the table, so took it apart again, put it in, flipped it over and noticed I had accidentally put the colored cable on wrong...

One thing I had to do was patch in some wires so the two that go to the CPU board were long enough to route around. 

I was thinking of seeing if someone already has made the two tabs for the lid as a 3d model to print yet or not, as my second 800 just has screws.

Ha, is it weird that I want to get some sort of voice recognition to do ATR swaps?

Funny: I really want those little plastic tabs instead of the screws for mine, too. It was purely cosmetic before, but now that the Incognito is in there with its CF card, there's more of a reason to get in there frequently.

I ended-up putting a couple of Dupont connectors on the wires going to my CPU board (SCCC in this case) so I can easily disconnect it if needed:

IMG_0931.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good call on the Dupont connectors to the CPU card. :) Wish I’d thought of that when I did mine. If I put a SCCC card into mine someday I’ll do the same.

In the meantime, with regard to the cable Lotharek provides with the board, I think it’s too short for most of us because he routes the cable more directly, at least the wires to the CPU card. I think he expected people to run those wires over the top of the now-empty RAM card slots. I also guess he repurposed connectors for ATX power supplies or something, given the size of the female plug. It works but it’s clunky. I ended up crimping a new Dupont connector with longer wires to solve both issues at once. 

8 hours ago, jamm said:

Funny: I really want those little plastic tabs instead of the screws for mine, too. It was purely cosmetic before, but now that the Incognito is in there with its CF card, there's more of a reason to get in there frequently.

I ended-up putting a couple of Dupont connectors on the wires going to my CPU board (SCCC in this case) so I can easily disconnect it if needed:

IMG_0931.jpeg

Damn, I should have done it that way.  I have a whole lot of dupont connectors from building LEDs for people. 

Are the SCCCs being sold anywhere? 

For the ATR button, my refurbished 800 already has a space that is cracked in the top, so I figured I could wire something up to that.  I will have to see if I have any buttons, and how exactly it needs to be wired up.  This thread is kind of long to dig through all the posts...

5 minutes ago, leech said:

Damn, I should have done it that way.  I have a whole lot of dupont connectors from building LEDs for people. 

Are the SCCCs being sold anywhere? 

For the ATR button, my refurbished 800 already has a space that is cracked in the top, so I figured I could wire something up to that.  I will have to see if I have any buttons, and how exactly it needs to be wired up.  This thread is kind of long to dig through all the posts...

Contact tf_hh for the SCCC

8 hours ago, jamm said:

IMG_0931.jpeg

Not only will I be using Dupont connectors when I can finally get around to installing my Incognito, but over the last few years I've had various issues occasionally with my systems and had to trouble shoot, even with diagnostic tools at my disposal, with so many upgrades that aren't covered, I've learned it's better to just remove all upgrades and return to stock for trouble shooting and diagnostics and then refit upgrades one by one if everything works at the stock level. Because of this, I've also gotten tired of desoldering and resoldering upgrade wires, which is also not good on the motherboard.

So I am retro-fitting all my upgrades, even down to jumpers for my OS in the 1200XL, with dupont connectors for easy install and removal of all upgrades and mods from now on. I will never add a DIY mod or purchased upgrade again without using Dupont connectors with anything that needs soldering. Just something I've finally learned over the years while maintaning these old beasts. With the 1200XL, it usually ends up being one of the newer upgrades I've installed (i.e. flash and GAL chips) having a fault rather than the motherboard, they were built pretty well; but basic components do fail, and unfortunately it isn't always as easy as swapping out IC's.

Edited by Gunstar

I read through most of the related threads here before doing my installs, so I ended up putting Dupont connectors on pretty much everything I could.  Actually, I think it was @DrVenkman's comments on  them a while back that put the thought in my head.

These are the composite/svideo and audio connectors I added to my 400 for the UAV and 'audio companion' upgrades:

IMG_0897.jpeg

Edited by jamm
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, jamm said:

I read through most of the related threads here before doing my installs, so I ended up putting Dupont connectors on pretty much everything I could.  Actually, I think it was @DrVenkman's comments on  them a while back that put the thought in my head.

These are the composite/svideo and audio connectors I added to my 400 for the UAV and 'audio companion' upgrades:

IMG_0897.jpeg

It is probably even easier on some things, especially the through hole places on the motherboard to just have soldered in pins and used dupont connectors...

7 minutes ago, leech said:

It is probably even easier on some things, especially the through hole places on the motherboard to just have soldered in pins and used dupont connectors...

I'd like to see an Incognito in the 400 someday.  I know it would be MAJOR surgery, but I think it could be done.

Jeff

20 minutes ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

I'd like to see an Incognito in the 400 someday.  I know it would be MAJOR surgery, but I think it could be done.

Jeff

Ha, I realized just while playing with the 800 that I didn't have the normal composite hooked up, so I may have to go back in and do the UAV mod after all, as the composite output is kind of meh.  Chroma / Luma looks great, but unless we can find a way to create an 'artifacting' patch for games, then I'll need to switch between the two.  Is there any better pictures for installing a UAV in an 800?  the ones in the documentation I've found on Brewing Academy's site could be a bit clearer.

3 hours ago, leech said:

Nice!  When I looked earlier those did not pop up.  I think Thingiverse uses Bing's search engine...

Thingiverse feels a bit overloaded these days. Probably a lot of people sitting at home with a lot of time to think about 3D printed projects.

5 hours ago, slx said:

Thingiverse feels a bit overloaded these days. Probably a lot of people sitting at home with a lot of time to think about 3D printed projects.

They have always had a weird search engine.  It limits how many results you get.  like if you put in Atari, or even Atari 800, I did not find those linked.  And went until it showed nothing else.  It was showing Atari ST stuff as well.

I miss search engines that actually find what you want instead of all this steering, duplication, monetary ranking, censorship, promotions, sponsored links, and well out right commercials pretending to be search results. I did have a friend who made a search engine for college. It really did find the best stuff, but was super slow... of course if it ran on the super duper platforms the big boys did connected to the back bones... it would have been fast. I really wish 1) I knew where he was 2) He knew where the engine was and that it still exists. Last I knew he got tired of coding 24/7 and became a Rabbi. Wandered of in happiness.

• Like 3

I use Duckduckgo. It's private, has VPN mode if you need it ( I use my Opera browsers VPN but still have Duckduckgo connect to Opera). I never use Google or anything else.

https://duckduckgo.com

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I use Duckduckgo. It's private, has VPN mode if you need it ( I use my Opera browsers VPN but still have Duckduckgo connect to Opera). I never use Google or anything else.

https://duckduckgo.com

I use DuckDuckGo as well, though had to stop using the Opera browser as it was bought by a Chinese company.  So Firefox is my choice of browser, with ublock and the privacy badger.

@leechI didn't know Opera was sold to the Chinese, thanks for the heads-up. I think Duckduckgo may have their own browser now, I'll have to check. I used to use Firefox and changed to Opera when Firefox fired their president/CEO or whatever he was a few years back for using his freedom of speech.

7 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

@leechI didn't know Opera was sold to the Chinese, thanks for the heads-up. I think Duckduckgo may have their own browser now, I'll have to check. I used to use Firefox and changed to Opera when Firefox fired their president/CEO or whatever he was a few years back for using his freedom of speech.

The landscape for the internet is weird.  You basically now have the choice of Firefox, or one of its many forks.  Or Webkit based browsers, which don't all have the same compatibility with each other.  Like I can use Safari or Chrome and get different results than say Epiphany.

Well, now I need to look up this firing of the CEO...

@leechFirefox may end up being the lesser of all evils for me though, with so few options and knowing the Chinese are in control of Opera. I was just looking on Download.com and didn't see much of a choice. unfortunately right now, Duckduckgo only has a browser for mobile phones (which I already use). I remember hearing about Safari. And I don't care to use anything that Google, Facebook or Microsoft own. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

@rdefabri It looks like they are still selling them: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=275

Get it while you can, who knows how many are left and if they will make more, it was like a decade in between production runs last time, I think (by different people though, IIRC). You may not get another chance, at that price anyway.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Are these all sold out? :(

Appears to be still in stock https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=276

Also I believe there is one being sold in the AA marketplace

Edited by orpheuswaking
  • Like 2