IGNORED

Incognito - Now's your chance!

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

But I already know. It's Candle's reaction to stupid questions which I find entertaining.

I NEVER asked WHY he named it what he did, I don't CARE. All I said was I don't like the name myself. It has NOTHING to do with it's aptness or how clever it is. So piss off about it.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Technoid Mutant said:

I think I might go ahead and implement the switch, just because the function is there.  I may use a little wafer switch, so it won't require any holes in the case.  Also, I see why someone might not want to cut a trace on the board, I get that.  There's no reason however, why you can't just snake a two-wire lead over there and glue a green led in with the reds, to give activity lighting.  I, for one, love blinkin' lights -- the more the better.  Also, io activity kinda requires one.  Another way, would be to pick up the hot leg of the led and run ONE wire to that from the Incognito, use the existing ground connection without cutting the hot trace on the board.  Tape the trace pad over so you get no ooopses.... :-{)  ??

Jeff

My 800 already has plenty of blinking lights, I installed a LED lighting in it internally, I can make it blink in a rainbow of colors. ;)

1 minute ago, Gunstar said:

My 800 already has plenty of blinking lights, I installed a LED lighting in it internally, I can make it blink in a rainbow of colors. ;)

Nice!   I sorta tripped over a similar thing.  On my 800xl, the internal SIO2PC(USB) has a red led on it, with a couple blinkers that are unnoticable,  the internal Rverter thingie I made also has a super-bright red power led, so the machine glows in the dark, a bit unevenly -- the bias is near the sio jack.  Still, it is cool.  What led did you use to do your's?  I'd really like some RGB thing, but haven't explored what.  Green is my favorite color.  I'd like to light the insides with that.  Better cover the window on your Eproms! ?

Best,

Jeff

7 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I NEVER asked WHY he named it what he did, I don't CARE. All I said was I don't like the name myself. It has NOTHING to do with it's aptness. So I never asked you or anyone a "stupid question" about it, and it's not going to happen. So piss off about it.

Someone's got their panties in a bunch today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Technoid Mutant said:

Nice!   I sorta tripped over a similar thing.  On my 800xl, the internal SIO2PC(USB) has a red led on it, with a couple blinkers that are unnoticable,  the internal Rverter thingie I made also has a super-bright red power led, so the machine glows in the dark, a bit unevenly -- the bias is near the sio jack.  Still, it is cool.  What led did you use to do your's?  I'd really like some RGB thing, but haven't explored what.  Green is my favorite color.  I'd like to light the insides with that.  Better cover the window on your Eproms! ?

Best,

Jeff

It's RGB lighting, I can make them (1200&800) strobe or fade through a rainbow of colors or just choose one color from many with a remote. Green is my favorite color too, and there is a range of green/blue green to choose from. It started with my 1200XL when I had it apart for the PBI mod I did for it and the case modification needed for a true PBI edge connector, and at the time I'd seen a keyboard at the store that had rainbow LED back lighting and I thought how cool that would be for someone with a 1088XEL/XLD machine and then at that point decided to do LED back-lighting to my 1200XL's keyboard and case, which then led to doing it to my two 1050's to match. So when I was given the 800 last year I decided I wanted to do the same to it. Since the 800 doesn't have a whole lot of places for light to shine through, I decided to do "under carriage" lighting by drilling holes around the bottom perimeter and make it like the under-carriage lighting people like to do with tricked-out cars. It looks really cool at night and low light levels. I've made a short video, which Youtube incorrectly oriented when I uploaded it, and I couldn't figure out in a short time how to correct it, so sorry for that. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Someone's got their panties in a bunch today.

I'm just not going to be goaded into doing something "stupid" when it isn't of any importance to me anyway and never was. He can find his cheap and childish amusements elsewhere. 

Edited by Gunstar

33 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

It's RGB lighting, I can make them (1200&800) strobe or fade through a rainbow of colors or just choose one color from many with a remote. Green is my favorite color too, and there is a range of green/blue green to choose from. It started with my 1200XL when I had it apart for the PBI mod I did for it and the case modification needed for a true PBI edge connector, and at the time I'd seen a keyboard at the store that had rainbow LED back lighting and I thought how cool that would be for someone with a 1088XEL/XLD machine and then at that point decided to do LED back-lighting to my 1200XL's keyboard and case, which then led to doing it to my two 1050's to match. So when I was given the 800 last year I decided I wanted to do the same to it. Since the 800 doesn't have a whole lot of places for light to shine through, I decided to do "under carriage" lighting by drilling holes around the bottom perimeter and make it like the under-carriage lighting people like to do with tricked-out cars. It looks really cool at night and low light levels. I've made a short video, which Youtube incorrectly oriented when I uploaded it, and I couldn't figure out in a short time how to correct it, so sorry for that. 

Nice!  Some of the purists on the 'age' would have you drawn and quartered for poking holes in the case.  ?  I'm all for it.  If I did it, on the 800, I'd probably just light the vent area.  Less work.  Can you shoot me a link to those leds?   It would give me a starting point for sourcing something like.

Best,

Jeff

46 minutes ago, Technoid Mutant said:

Nice!  Some of the purists on the 'age' would have you drawn and quartered for poking holes in the case.  ?  I'm all for it.  If I did it, on the 800, I'd probably just light the vent area.  Less work.  Can you shoot me a link to those leds?   It would give me a starting point for sourcing something like.

Best,

Jeff

This is the type I used, I picked it for the reasonable price. Amazon has loads to choose from at different price points though. I've never been one who cares what others think. I just make sure modifications look good and professional and not a quick hack job. At first I just mounted them onto the bottom side to make sure it looked good, when I was satisfied it did, I made sure everything was even and balanced taking great care in measurements and layout before I modified the case and installed them internally.

https://www.amazon.com/Led-Strip-Lights-PANGTON-VILLA/dp/B072QWJRBS/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=tv+led+backlighting&qid=1571238973&sr=8-9

Edited by Gunstar
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite the riot :) . And it reminds me of what is so very different about AtariAge compared to a few other forums I participate in.

Only here can someone talk about and display something they are proud of, to only have someone else tell them that: A) they wouldn't ever use such a thing even if their life counted on it, or B) they're only a fanboy of the Atari, and all other computers suck, or C) they think what you did has somehow devalued the Atari in their eyes, and lastly D) you should be ashamed of what you did.

I could name over a dozen regulars on this forum that do one or more of the above on a regular basis. Sad thing is they believe it :( . Of course we are only human and as such are probably guilty of at least one of these transgressions from time to time (including me), but most of us are either smart enough and/or kind enough not to say it out loud ;) .

So here we have a topic that started off very positive, talking about the long anticipated and very much wanted announcement that another run of the most rare and desired item the Incognito, was going to see another production run. Now that's a good, or should I say a GREAT thing isn't it ??? And then without fail it slowly gets dragged down into the muck through a combination of certain people flaunting their god-like abilities, enlightening everyone with their superior intellect (I'm joking of course), or spewing out cruel remarks in general.

BTW, Christmas is coming. Have you been naughty or nice this year?

And yes, someday I too would love to have an original 800 with an Incognito installed. Plus I love blinky lights, always have :) .

Opps did I just say all of this out loud?  ? squeak, squeak, squeak (sound of erasure on chalk board, yeah I know old school). Hmm... not working. Aww forget it, just try to prove I wrote any of this! Hmm... apparently my name is in the signature. Drats damn computers don't forget!!! Leaving town...........

Edit: Shuffle, shuffle... looking for disk with SkyNet virus :spidey: .

Edited by mytek
Returned to town with disk in hand
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Well, back on-topic, my box from Lotharek has been sitting in Warsaw for about a day and a half. Based on prior experience, I expect it to show the same for a few days until it shows as having cleared US Customs somewhere (probably Newark). Still plenty of time until it arrives.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Does anyone know if these need to be signed for?

Every time I've ordered something from Lotharek its required a signature. This has usually resulted in a note on my door to stop by my closest Post Office to retrieve the package, since without fail I'm never home the day of the delivery.

With this being a high dollar item, I would anticipate the same conditions to apply.

58 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Does anyone know if these need to be signed for?

47 minutes ago, mytek said:

Every time I've ordered something from Lotharek its required a signature. This has usually resulted in a note on my door to stop by my closest Post Office to retrieve the package, since without fail I'm never home the day of the delivery.

With this being a high dollar item, I would anticipate the same conditions to apply.

Huh. I’ve ordered four or five times from Lotharek now and never had to sign. The box is usually just left in my mailbox. 

16 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Huh. I’ve ordered four or five times from Lotharek now and never had to sign. The box is usually just left in my mailbox. 

That's interesting and different than my experience. I don't recall if there was a way to opt out of requiring a signature on Lotharek's site, but I'm certain I never opted in for it :) . Maybe its just handled differently by your Post Office?

9 hours ago, mytek said:

This thread is quite the riot :) . And it reminds me of what is so very different about AtariAge compared to a few other forums I participate in.

Only here can someone talk about and display something they are proud of, to only have someone else tell them that: A) they wouldn't ever use such a thing even if their life counted on it, or B) they're only a fanboy of the Atari, and all other computers suck, or C) they think what you did has somehow devalued the Atari in their eyes, and lastly D) you should be ashamed of what you did.

I could name over a dozen regulars on this forum that do one or more of the above on a regular basis. Sad thing is they believe it :( . Of course we are only human and as such are probably guilty of at least one of these transgressions from time to time (including me), but most of us are either smart enough and/or kind enough not to say it out loud ;) .

So here we have a topic that started off very positive, talking about the long anticipated and very much wanted announcement that another run of the most rare and desired item the Incognito, was going to see another production run. Now that's a good, or should I say a GREAT thing isn't it ??? And then without fail it slowly gets dragged down into the muck through a combination of certain people flaunting their god-like abilities, enlightening everyone with their superior intellect (I'm joking of course), or spewing out cruel remarks in general.

BTW, Christmas is coming. Have you been naughty or nice this year?

And yes, someday I too would love to have an original 800 with an Incognito installed. Plus I love blinky lights, always have :) .

Opps did I just say all of this out loud?  ? squeak, squeak, squeak (sound of erasure on chalk board, yeah I know old school). Hmm... not working. Aww forget it, just try to prove I wrote any of this! Hmm... apparently my name is in the signature. Drats damn computers don't forget!!! Leaving town...........

Edit: Shuffle, shuffle... looking for disk with SkyNet virus :spidey: .

Well...

nationals_giants_brawl_harper.thumb.jpg.548cc6328ecf517290ba1a84da6e57f8.jpg

brawl-closeup-1.thumb.jpg.365019d4a674d9b1be75d352a547f223.jpg

?

Some sort of configurable keyboard scanner that installs in between the keyboard and the mobo could be a nice alternative way to switch ATRs instead of modding the power tunnel and lights. So something like CTRL-break could be the sequence.

I love the stock power LED's.  Reversing the HDD activity LED so that it blinks off when there is activity would be nice to retain full LED brightness with the stock LEDs. Is there a simple circuit I could buy to do either?

Edited by Sugarland

12 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Some sort of configurable keyboard scanner that installs in between the keyboard and the mobo could be a nice alternative way to switch ATRs instead of modding the power tunnel and lights. So something like CTRL-break could be the sequence

I’ve really nice feature of the TK-II firmware and circuit layout for the 1088XLD allows exactly that: ATR swapping via a key combo (ALT+N). It’s a very sweet feature. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Technoid Mutant said:

I went for the basic shipping, I'm cheap.  I didn't have to sign.  The mailman left them on my doorstep.

Is this something new, or was that always available? Wow I totally missed that. Next time I'll order with my eyes wide open ;) .