IGNORED

Songbird acquires classic gaming properties

Songbird

SONGBIRD ACQUIRES CLASSIC GAMING PROPERTIES

For immediate release:

ROCHESTER, MN -- Songbird Productions is pleased to announce the acquisition of multiple classic gaming properties, including:

• The entire HandMade Software library, except for Kasumi Ninja, including games such as Awesome Golf and Battlezone 2000
  • Battlemorph by ATD
  • Gordo 106 by Tenth Planet Software
  • Lynx Super Skweek by Loriciel
  • Othello by Harry Dodgson

"Songbird has enjoyed two decades of supporting diehard Atari fans with new games for old systems," said Carl Forhan, founder of Songbird. "I look forward to a new wave of products that can incorporate these incredible games for the benefit of all gamers worldwide."

Songbird Productions is a premier game developer and publisher for the Atari Lynx and Jaguar. To keep up to date with the latest news at Songbird Productions, be sure to visit the company web site at http://songbird-productions.com . This message may be reprinted in its entirety.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Congratulations were given in the Lynx thread, but deserve to go here as well.

Looking forward to hearing exactly what the plans are.

With Battlezone 2000 would you be able to shed any light on the claims that still do the rounds, that HMS were at one stage doing a conversion of the Lynx title to the Jaguar?.

Some voices swear they were..others that they were not.

I've never seen Rob Nicholson confirm or deny it.

Jim Gregory kind of avoided the question.

Same applies to Dracula The Undead on Jaguar.

Be nice to be able to put the claims to bed one way or another, once and for all.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Yes I am a bit curious too as to the BattleMorph acquisition. Does this mean a possible sequel to BattleMorph in the future or are we merely looking at a re-release for Jaguar CD for folks who don't already own the game.

Could you shed a bit more light on what it means for the consumer Carl?

Some clarifications and answers:

Some game rights contractually returned to the developers over time, even though Atari was the original publisher of the games. Other games (such as Battlemorph) were acquired from Atari. Kasumi Ninja was not available.

Rebellion owns the Battlezone IP nowadays. Since I have a history with Rebellion (Skyhammer, anyone?), they have kindly agreed to provide a limited license to me for Battlezone on older Atari systems. In the same way, the Super Skweek IP is still owned by Loricel, but I have been able to acquire a limited license for the Lynx version.

I did not receive any new source code as part of these deals. Now that we are 25-30 years removed from the original publication of these games, it's becoming more and more unlikely that source code would be retained by anyone. Only slightly unhinged people like me hang on to source code for 20+ years so I can revisit old projects like Protector from time to time. ;) 

I don't have imminent plans for most of these games, but thought it was worthwhile to build my IP library when the opportunities came.

• Like 11

This is awesome Carl! Congrats. 

Time for the Jag fumes to cause fever dreams...

Really high level question on that note ?... would it be theoretically possible for Battlemorph to run off a cart with cut scenes removed? IS2 style. 

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 1

It would definitely be fun to see Battlemorph running on a cartridge instead of CD.  In theory I would say yes, it's possible, but it really depends on how much the game accesses the CD unit during gameplay. If it's constantly streaming CD audio, for example, that presents some technical challenges versus if each level is a self-contained RAM load. And of course emulating the Memory Track calls would be another issue...

• Like 3