IGNORED

Incognito in production for a limited time. Get em' while they're hot!

13 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

No memory glitch that I'm aware of. Writes to CCTL ($D5xx) unfortunately pass straight through to the 'PBI RAM' in the same address space, however, even when the PBI device is deselected. This causes a few corner-case issues when using the HDD with some cartridges, but is not exactly a show-stopper. The hardware designer has said he MAY attempt to fix this for the forthcoming batch. I imagine he has almost zero spare time at the moment.

It would be great if it happens. I suspect this is the reason that BASIC-XE locks up if the file BASICXE.OSS is available. If the file is there and I type CAR, I get the title screen in GR.18 and sometimes it corrupts the display and freezes immediately, or it just freezes immediately.

Of course, I have tried different BXE carts (and versions), same with every version of BASICXE.OSS that I can find. I have never found a solution.

Ideas?

Edit: Aslo, all other OSS languages work.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

haven't found a way around it because the train wreck occurs, the partition goes away...

I should try again and see if leaving sio drives mapped in to the first four drive slots would keep things rolling though. if not then the first 8

It happened with more than basic xe...

Edited by _The Doctor__

6 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

It would be great if it happens. I suspect this is the reason that BASIC-XE locks up if the file BASICXE.OSS is available. If the file is there and I type CAR, I get the title screen in GR.18 and sometimes it corrupts the display and freezes immediately, or it just freezes immediately.

Of course, I have tried different BXE carts (and versions), same with every version of BASICXE.OSS that I can find. I have never found a solution.

Ideas?

Oddly enough, It won't lock up with Q-Meg or Altirra XL OS'es (at least up to the points that I have tried.. However, trying to launch the etensions will... (but I am not clear why, though...)

On Atari XL/XE OS, it locks right on the "Ready" prompt...

I do wonder about the original OSS carts, though, how they behave.... Maybe they could patched for this particular purpose, with sufficient insight of the execution of their original code....

Edited by Faicuai

10 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

The question is: Can this be fixed?

Let's fire it up to Candle, directly... but mind you we really don't have (or I have not seen) a proper analysis or diagnostics with Basic-XE, for instance.

This brings to my attention a recent problem with Altirra Basic Extended Cart... which relates to how SDX writes to some registers and reset the cart back to bank #0 when issuing a "Dir" command (applies to both Incognito and Ultimate). Theoretically, there is a solution at the cart-level (we will see what happens).

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyle22 said:

I like Express Pro BBS, but I have always wanted to try FXEP. I had BXE BITD in my 256K 1200XL on top of the SDX cart. Extended mode worked fine. Back then, I had no HD, so kind of tough to run a BBS.

:)

Interesting....

...Also remember that Basic XE has been ALREADY PATCHED for full compatibility with SDX. There is a specific ROM that needs to be burned, and it shows with "p" on version (patched). No reason why it could not be patched or tuned for Incognito, providing that registers range-in-use is not a deal-breaker.

I posted to Lotharek and he said....

"yes, it is true and subject of cpld fix i force Candle to introduce"

..but when I ask him if it was currently fixed he said...

"it is about to be fixed...not already fixed."

I did ask him if it would be fixed in this run but he hasn't responded yet (I'm guessing it's late there)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I have an experimental JED from Candle (intended to fix the $D5xx write-thru issue); will test later on. No guarantees, but we'll see.

NICE!!

It would also be great if you ask him what registers he used to drop Joy 3/4 port readings... Either originally or maybe revised... So we can access them on XL/XE mode...

Have the CPLD programmer here ready to fire, at the right time...

• Like 1

in order to access port 3 & 4 you need to read from $d340 onwards, base address will give you only access to port A, and emulated port B, using shadows you can access remaining ports

just remember to have this option enabled in BIOS

if anyone would like to test cpld - pm me, but i would like to receive prompt reply either it would work or not, since i don't have original incognito board myself

if case anyone wonnders - incognito 2 was cancelled, since i could not fit all the logic i wanted to have, and incognito 3 was designed - unfortunatly i do not have the time to make everything i want novadays

when i was more "active" i was working from home office and nobody cared what i really do as long as on the end of the day assigned job was done - not so much right now - need to sit my time in the office, and only projects i can take there are getting done, or, in case of latest developments for commodore plus4 - simple ones :(

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, candle said:

in order to access port 3 & 4 you need to read from $d340 onwards, base address will give you only access to port A, and emulated port B, using shadows you can access remaining ports

if anyone would like to test cpld - pm me, but i would like to receive prompt reply either it would work or not, since i don't have original incognito board myself

if case anyone wonnders - incognito 2 was cancelled, since i could not fit all the logic i wanted to have, and incognito 3 was designed - unfortunatly i do not have the time to make everything i want novadays

when i was more "active" i was working from home office and nobody cared what i really do as long as on the end of the day assigned job was done - not so much right now - need to sit my time in the office, and only projects i can take there are getting done, or, in case of latest developments for commodore plus4 - simple ones :(

At last! The ONE... and ONLY !!! ;-)))

I will go out and read those registers real time with EYE2.COM, and see if I find them on-screen. I will also check setting on BIOS... 

And I always wanted to openly thank you for the quality of work and attention to detail you put on your legendary Incognito... Not just another piece of HW... but a special upgrade riding on the already special 800... You should be really proud (and bragging everywhere) about such an f-amazing piece of work... Keep the last batch running as long as you can, as you will sell EVERY single one you guys produce!

Wish you every bit of success and luck in any of your future endeavors and personal life! Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, candle said:

uhm... 

polish people take flattery as good as japaneese ones...

keep the credid where credit is due - software is more important than the hardware, and there were many people before me that made such boards

At the end, it takes "two to tango"... And I would agree that, ultimately, nothing beats great HW with great SW... ??

Edited by Faicuai

2 hours ago, candle said:

I was going to like your post but chose a thanks instead, it sounds like real life is being so constraining. I am both happy and sad for you!

Glad to know all is well and you have good work bringing in the money, I hope the life balance comes back into play so you have a good work life balance so there is time for work, wife, life, and hobby!

I decided to simply thank you instead!

I suspect Facaui is one of the better candidates to check it out with a fine tooth comb, he and FJC that is.

Thanks again for listening and taking the time to fix this up. I'm going to have to give this another go, ordering another incognito... :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candle said:

Just for laughs... in case you ever wondered during design or later on... ;-)

BF6A1D37-C74C-483A-940C-57E9C436FD1B.thumb.jpeg.ea2d36032b55743d08f8783b32f25c73.jpeg

1 hour ago, candle said:

What features were going to be available in Version 3. Just wondering.

2 hours ago, candle said:

If you no longer have the time to push your designs forward, have you considered open sourcing them? Licence them as non-commercial only if you don't want them to be sold and release all the files so that Incognito 3 can be finished and Incognito 4 can be born. Separately licence for commercial use to the people like Lotharek/Brewing Academy who will sell and give you a commision.