IGNORED

Software Box Repairs

KLund1

I was thinking of repairing many of the Atari large and small software boxes I have. Many have crushed sides. Or the front is dented in. Some have ripped or missing folding tabs on top. I saw a video from 8-Bit Guy where he shows what he does. But he does not go much into rips and crushes of the cardboard.

I think I lot of the crush sides could be fixed with some sort of very stiff but thin cardboard. Not just cutting up an Amazon box, but some kind of quality thin material that could be cut.

Also I would need a very strong 2-sided tape. Probably not the spongy type, but like scotch tape but stronger.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

Nice video although the recolouring is a bit iffy as markers tend to have a sheen off them, if you use a black marker you'll probably get a blueish / purple sheen from them, on small parts it does not really notice but big area's will be noticeable in light...Hard to explain but if you try it on a test piece you'll see what I mean..

Obviously it will look better than before but it is noticeable on the box compared to the rest of it.Also depends on the quality of  the marker..

Edit: I only mention all this as I'm not a collector but if I was would I prefer a box that has been touched up with a bit of noticeable sheen on the box or would I prefer the box 'as is' appreciating its travel through the years?

Obviously we all would love mint condition items in shrink wrap with untouched manuals etc :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Edit: I only mention all this as I'm not a collector but if I was would I prefer a box that has been touched up with a bit of noticeable sheen on the box or would I prefer the box 'as is' appreciating its travel through the years?

Obviously we all would love mint condition items in shrink wrap with untouched manuals etc :)

As a collector myself, I never try to restore a box. I don't prefer boxes which have been tampered with. Like you said I appecriate the boxes as is ;-)

• Like 1

That's what I thought would be the normal thing, sure, get the box a bit straighter but touching it up seems just wrong, especially if you sell stuff as well, I'd hate to buy an item that's covered in marker pen 'touch ups' which you only spot when it arrives..

But, each to their own...