IGNORED

Doom, Atari Jaguar: Is it not possible to save collected weapons and ammo?

RREDDWARFF

I just received Doom for the Atari Jaguar today, and I'm not sure if my game is saving properly. If I start a game, complete a level or two, come back and want to continue where I left off, is it possible to do so with all the weapons and ammo I've collected up to this point? From what I can tell, there is no continue option. The only thing that saves is what levels I've completed, but in order to "continue", I have to manually select the level I want to play and I start off again with just a pistol. Am I doing something wrong here, is my game broken or is that the way Doom works on the Jaguar? Thanks.

Okay, thank you. While not a deal breaker, it is a bit disappointing. I read through the manual, but it's very vague when it comes to game saves. About the only bit of info that the manual gave that was helpful was, it said that once saved, you can select only the levels you have completed. I was hoping that since Wolfenstein allows weapon/ammo saves, so would Doom. Thanks for your time.

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Working on that too ?

I assume you are talking about creating a better save system. I just checked that out on your page. Very cool, I did not think adding music would make that much of a difference.

Edited by RREDDWARFF
I'm stupid.

You know the Original PC version pretty much works the same way. Weapons, Ammo, and Armor carry over from level to level as you play. But when you die and start that level over, your weapons, ammo, and armor are reset back to just the pistol. GZDoom and other source engines have the options to remember these stats when you restart the levels after dying.

But actually saving the game in midgame I believe did retain that stats so they were only reset when you restarted the level after death as I stated above.

Nah, save states on the PC freeze everything the way you left them -- all your inventory and your exact position. The Jaguar version (like most console ports of Doom) only remember your last completed level. They're much simpler because they're constrained by storage space. Most "high capacity" memory tracks from those days still counted things in kilobytes. 

Which makes me wonder how @CyranoJ works his magic. What's your secret? Voodoo potion? More time to think these things through than the original developers had? Standing on the shoulders of giants? More cheaper storage nowadays? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Nah, save states on the PC freeze everything the way you left them -- all your inventory and your exact position. The Jaguar version (like most console ports of Doom) only remember your last completed level. They're much simpler because they're constrained by storage space. Most "high capacity" memory tracks from those days still counted things in kilobytes. 

I stated you only loose the stats when you die in the level and restart the level. When you save on the PC, then it does retain all of that yes. At least normal DOS Doom does this. GZDoom and other source ports will retain that stuff even when you die and start the level over. 

Anyway, yes, I too look forward to any developments that improve the Jag Doom experience!

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

The Jaguar version (like most console ports of Doom) only remember your last completed level. They're much simpler because they're constrained by storage space. Most "high capacity" memory tracks from those days still counted things in kilobytes.  

Thank you. This explains it, (and it confirms I'm not just doing it wrong).