IGNORED

410 play button refuses to latch

johndias

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Probably within the tape mechanism itself rather than near direct to the button.

A possibility could be that there's a spring that's either not attached or lost it's tension.

Thanks, I took another look after reading your reply.  There's a white bar that is pushed by a spring to lock the FF,RW and PLAY into place.  It looks to me like there's just a little loss of tension on that spring causing it to not fully lock the play.  Now, to find that spring for sale!

IMG_20190810_215431.jpg

IMG_20190810_215419.jpg

The bar looks bound up with fiber in it's slide path... the switch to left that connects to the bar can be tweaked, it doesn't look like it's making full contact, the spring can be taken out and re-tension-ed pulling it apart slightly... it's doubtful it 'lost' tension some how unless it was put away in the play position for 40 years and being subjected to heat and cold... anything is possible so stretching it slight will do just fine...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The bar looks bound up with fiber in it's slide path... the switch to left that connects to the bar can be tweaked, it doesn't look like it's making full contact, the spring can be taken out and re-tension-ed pulling it apart slightly... it's doubtful it 'lost' tension some how unless it was put away in the play position for 40 years and being subjected to heat and cold... anything is possible so stretching it slight will do just fine...

I'll give that a shot!  Thanks.

No dice.  I think the spring's got plenty of tension though.  I'm starting to think that there is wear on the plastics that allowing it to slip.  I haven't pulled the sliders out, but I did get in there with a pick and tried to remove any dirt and fibers, it moves freely.  Maybe I should get another one for parts and try replacing that lower slider.

I had the same problem with a 410, but with the original version (with aluminium carrying handle).

In my case, it was to do with the autostop mechanism that automatically turns off play or record when reaching the end of a tape.

In the original 410, this works through a small pivoting bar, the tip of one end of which is held under spring tension against the tape as it runs past the play/record heads. When the tape is running freely, it passes over the tip of the bar without depressing it. When the tape snaps taut when play has reached the end of the tape, this pulls the tape tight over the tip of the bar, overcoming the spring tension and causing it to pivot. Via a linkage mechanism, that pulls a lug into the path of a knob rotating on the main flywheel of the drive mechanism. When the two collide, that trips the mechanism which disengages the play/record keys.

Problem in my case was that the pivoting bar had become stuck in the 'tripping' position due to loss of lubrication.

Solution- dismantle and lubricate the pivot.

Not sure if the mechanism is the same on the newer 410.  There were a variety of different mechanisms to sense and trip tape-ending back in the day, although this was a popular mechanical one prior to everything becoming electronically-controlled.

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, drpeter said:

It looks from your photo that this might be the equivalent mechanism...

Does it seem to be free-pivoting?

Thanks, that's helpful - so I looked into that part and it seems to be OK, but of course having no reference with a working one I'm not sure.  Here are two pics, one with the play button "up" and the other with me holding it "down" - the mechanism looks to be moving freely (and I was able to move it with a metal pick tool).

IMG_20190813_202300.jpg

IMG_20190813_202249.jpg

This shows something about how the mechanism is supposed to work.

Under certain circumstances (presumably when PLAY is not depressed) the tip of the long left white plastic arm is held away from the tape by the black plastic lug pushing the shorter right white arm forward (red arrow).

When pressure from this lug is released, presumably when PLAY is depressed and the whole central black plastic plate (with text on) mounting the play head and pivot slides forward, the spring pulls in the short central white plastic arm (yellow arrow) pivoting the long left white plastic arm forward (green arrow), into contact with the black circular runner mechanism we discussed before (white arrow), pushing this forward against the running tape.

How the 'trip' mechanism to autostop the tape operates can't be seen from here, but must be triggered by the taut tape suddenly pushing back the long left white plastic arm/black circular runner slightly.

In the photos you posted, it looks as though the whole mechanism is only moving slightly when PLAY is depressed.  Is the PLAY head itself moving far enough forward, do you think?

Forgot to ask- does the PLAY key just trip when there is power to the tape motor and the tape tries to move forward (which is what happens with a faulty autostop) or is it under all circumstances?

Hope this helps. Difficult without a mechanism in front of me...

Pivot.thumb.jpg.c532832b72ed43e8eef3c719c64bbca6.jpg

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not staying in at all, no power and no tape.  Very occasionally I can get it to stick but it is very tenuous even then.  Thanks for that deep dive, I'll pull it apart this evening and see if I can clean it up.  As I recall, that mechanism was a bit stiff.

I was trying to avoid tearing it all down as I was afraid I'd make things worse, but I think this is going to be necessary.

47 minutes ago, johndias said:

It's not staying in at all, no power and no tape.  Very occasionally I can get it to stick but it is very tenuous even then.  Thanks for that deep dive, I'll pull it apart this evening and see if I can clean it up.  As I recall, that mechanism was a bit stiff.

I was trying to avoid tearing it all down as I was afraid I'd make things worse, but I think this is going to be necessary.

I managed to dismantle the pivot assembly without removing the playback head, but that wasn't on your model.... and I could be barking up entirely the wrong tree. May be nothing to do with the autostop mechanism. The field manual for your model of 410 ominously recommends a new 410 as the solution for a PLAY key failing to engage... ?  Perhaps someone with a 'later version' 410 could quickly comment on whether the PLAY key should engage and stay depressed when disconnected from power & the Atari?

If it IS anything to do with stiffness in that pivot, which was held in place with a split washer in my case, a clean up and tiniest smidgeon of oil applied with a split matchstick did the trick for me...

Not sure exactly what the red/orange disc is in your version. You might get away with just applying a smidgeon of oil to the tip of the central pin without dismantling and working the mechanism back and forth....

Edited by drpeter
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, drpeter said:

I managed to dismantle the pivot assembly without removing the playback head, but that wasn't on your model.... and I could be barking up entirely the wrong tree. May be nothing to do with the autostop mechanism. The field manual for your model of 410 ominously recommends a new 410 as the solution for a PLAY key failing to engage... ?  Perhaps someone with a 'later version' 410 could quickly comment on whether the PLAY key should engage and stay depressed when disconnected from power & the Atari?

If it IS anything to do with stiffness in that pivot, which was held in place with a split washer in my case, a clean up and tiniest smidgeon of oil applied with a split matchstick did the trick for me...

Not sure exactly what the red/orange disc is in your version. You might get away with just applying a smidgeon of oil to the tip of the central pin without dismantling and working the mechanism back and forth....

I have tested powered and connected to my 400.  It doesn't stay down, but if I hold it down the tape will actually play when using CLOAD.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:37 AM, drpeter said:

Sorry, can't suggest anything else at this stage.

No worries, thanks for the help!  I did break it down and clean everything - no dice.  At this point I really feel like the plastic post that is supposed to be held in by the white retainer slider thingy is just slightly worn enough to not fully catch.  I'm writing this off and searching for another one on eBay - maybe between two of them I can get a working program recorder!

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally ordered another 410 to cannibalize and since it had a working STOP button, I pulled the "keeper" bar from it installed it in my original.  And it worked!  I see no visual difference between the two but that seems to have been the problem - some slight wearing of the plastic I guess. 

This is the bad part.

IMG_20190912_221123.thumb.jpg.4ce0fc7edcdb8679bd9e98746c1f2f37.jpg