IGNORED

Mr. Do!s Castle - a finite or infinite game (and hey, what do you think about it?)

Giles N

Buying, or rather importing a Atari 5200 system about a year ago, I looked through what sort of games seemed to be like «way more color and detail than the 2600» and which could possibly create that satisfying feeling of quality Arcade-port for a home-system that retained the overall feel and atmophere of the Arcade.

I looked of course for those games that would have meant most to me, having actually played them as a kid.

But: Mr Do!s Castle never was something I never saw in the Arcade.

But it caught my intererest looking like an «early action-platform-puzzler or action-platformer-with-a-twist».

And....it had a Jester hero, and some dragon-unicorn-somethings as enemies...and castle towers as levels...

All cool!

A medieval fantasy «bubble-bobble»-game...

So the two practical questions for those interested:

1) Do you know if the game has on the A5200 a finite number of levels (layouts and all), and if you get through these you complete the game, or goes back to level1 on a harder setting, or does it only go on and on and on...infinitly...

2) do you like it, love it, hate it, despise it, make it your favourite cart in periods; how do you like Mr Do!s Castle on Atari 5200?

1C1469DC-BECF-4403-A2D6-8754E8A8636A.jpeg

E34CD5A3-2EA3-46DB-8C7E-FE999296F5D7.jpeg

00FC09C2-6C64-4410-A270-8F40095F6776.jpeg

8A5D663F-AEA4-4021-84FD-B22A011335C0.jpeg

Edited by Giles N

There are great differences in ports for Mr.Do.!'s Castle.

The 5200 version plays well.

Of course it's not so good like the outstanding Colecovison version,

but much better than the 2600 version.

I would grade this way... 

5200:            B

2600:             F

Colecovision:  A +

I don't know if anyone rolled the score, years ago I won the High score round with a score under 100.000.

In the Colecovision HSC there was a guy who posted a score with more than 2 million. So I think this version has no ending.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neogeoman said:

I'm a big 5200 fan but the Colecovision is way better, in both looks and gameplay. The 5200 version is blocky and has slippery controls 

Well, I actually use a modded Neo-Geo-arcade stick on games such Mr Dos Castle, Pengo, Pitfall2, Mario Bros etc, ie games where digital input vs analog works better. (This stick doesn’t work with games like Pole Position and Star Wars Arcade).

So I get some better control with that.

But if 2Mill is scored and no ending seen, its probably an infinite game.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:48 PM, Neogeoman said:

I'm a big 5200 fan but the Colecovision is way better, in both looks and gameplay. The 5200 version is blocky and has slippery controls 

Have you tried it with a Wico joystick or similar?

A year ago I wanted to buy a RetroConsole that sort of could demonstrate what the arcade ports of the time looked like on stronger systems.

I guess I picked the Atari5200 because many of the games on it were Arcades I remembered to have played very early as kid.

And sort of get in touch with what titles were hot prior to Bubble Bobble, Out Run, Afterburner etc.

So I got a atari5200 and an atari7800 to check out how they operated.

So its like digging into the layers of gamehistory...

But its also fun to find «new favourites» from....1982, 83, 84... etc...

Edited by Giles N

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, Mangia-Boy said:

There are great differences in ports for Mr.Do.!'s Castle.

The 5200 version plays well.

Of course it's not so good like the outstanding Colecovison version,

but much better than the 2600 version.

I would grade this way... 

5200:            B

2600:             F

Colecovision:  A +

I don't know if anyone rolled the score, years ago I won the High score round with a score under 100.000.

In the Colecovision HSC there was a guy who posted a score with more than 2 million. So I think this version has no ending.

I just don’t think I’ll get like all retroconsoles.

The reaction-time for controller-input is, I agree, a little slow sometimes to get full control, but I still love it.

(I’ve tried the arcade on Mame).

But ‘B’ is after all not a bad character; its second best.

Edited by Giles N