IGNORED

Great time at Fest 99/4 ATX

GuruSantiago

I attended the Fest 99/4 ATX event yesterday and had a great time. The presentations on FusionBBS described how to setup and run the BBS. The demonstrations on Ti Forth were very informative and discussions on the Ti 99/4a and Geneve hardware were great. I enjoyed meeting new friends and fellow users of the Ti 99/4a in the local Round Rock and Austin area. The members that attended from out of town we also very friendly and knowledgeable on all things Ti computer related. There was also a museum setup with all kinds of Ti consumer products from calculators to speak n spells along with other products that I never saw before like the talking clown head that spoke when parts of the head were moved or removed. Un-released Ti computer products were also on display.

Overall it was a great time and look forward to future Ti99/4a events.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, GuruSantiago said:

There was also a museum setup with all kinds of Ti consumer products from calculators to speak n spells along with other products that I never saw before like the talking clown head that spoke when parts of the head were moved or removed. Un-released Ti computer products were also on display.

Photos from the event would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spiffster said:

It was great meeting everyone. I'm super-stoked about fbForth right now.

Regarding your avatar, I am actually watching that movie tonight!

22 minutes ago, hloberg said:

Rats, should watched it online. Always thought of Forth as some weird programming alchemy practiced by 4th wizards to summon demons or such. ??

I believe you are not far off.  If you ever meet Lee Stewart, he kind-of looks like a wizard!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

(Cross-posting from the main thread.)

To everyone who attended in person (or online)

You truly made the event a success. It's not about the hardware, it is about the people.

We get more out of our hobby when we can share it.  Having people meet in person, is invaluable.

Every one of you who had a conversation at 99/4ATX: you were essential to the meeting. I think the 11 people we had on Saturday was the perfect number. Though 12 would also have been perfect too if InsaneMultitasker had made it.

Also, I did not realize that Albert IS AtariAge. (Somehow I thought there was more than one Admin!) We were lucky to have him (he brought us monitors and decals too). 

A shout-out to ArcadeShopper who speedily mailed us 3 new composite cables.

I underestimated how much effort it takes to run an event. Some stuff didn't work out right, but I still didn't hear any complaints? Please give us polite constructive suggestions :) 

Amanda did a tremendous amount, on publicity, trying to keep me focused on logistics, running errands, making the room clean and presentable, polishing-packing-and-setting-up computers, snacks, food, coffee. Not to mention her support for my time-consuming and money-sucking hobby, and doing surface mount soldering for me :)

Thank you to those at the end who helped me pack up all the stuff. It would have taken me hours longer to pack up without OLD CS1 and spiffster and Rob.

I am definitely planning on repeating this event, with more publicity and advance planning. 

On Sunday we discussed how to increase the number of TI-99/4A gatherings around the US, by co-locating with events like KansasFest (several AtariAge members attended!), VCF Midwest/Emergency Commodore, VCF SouthEast, etc. Inviting the original programmers to the larger events. I would also add CypherCon in Milwaukee,  which precedes Midwest Gaming Classic.

Formal presentations from shift838 and hloberg. I'm happy that we also spent most of the time in small groups. 

To those who tuned in online: I regret the video conferencing was not organized to make recordings of presentations. Perhaps in the future we can delegate to a person in charge of video. 

Personally, it warms my heart that GuruSantiago had a student eager to learn 99/4 assembler. And spiffster took to learning fbFORTH. (Spiffster, your $20 for the fbFORTH cart was generous, but I can't keep it, must send it on to the author Lee Stewart.)

GuruSantiago won the raffle for Dragon's Lair. The raffle was done with TI Basic. 

I'll sign off with my imagined blooper reel. Let's agree to laugh about it and move on?

• Official 99/4ATX  512K cartridges are on a slow boat on the Pacific Ocean. I'll let you know when they show up.
  • The 99/2 caught on fire (not really, but it has a bad power cap 4700 uF)
  • I misplaced my Geneve keyboard. Kinda useless.
  • The 99/4s in storage were both dead.
  • The Atari 2600 power supply from Game Over was broken. The transformer was probably fine, but we chopped the cord and made it really dead.
  • Zoom URLs I screwed up, and how the meeting terminated every 40 minutes.
  • Luke's CF7+ got fried somehow.
  • The LAN ports were non funzione, but wireless was ok.
  • Trying to make audio, RF, power cables on the spot.
  • Kye had to play TI Invaders with keyboard, because we never got around to testing the joysticks.
  • The TI talking clown is going to cause nightmares, and come back next year speaking French or German. (Update: Le Clown Magique is on the way.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_UTbMT1AZM&t=3s

But I think we had lots of fun.

• Like 5

I had a great time too! Really enjoyed chatting with everybody I could and meeting @OLD CS1 in person. I look forward to next year. It was totally worth all your effort @FarmerPotato

If it's during K-fest, well, I'll be at K-fest Tue-Fri  Jul 21-24 2020 (I have to miss the weekend at K-fest sadly) and then that Sat-Sun July 25-26 2020 is Classic Game Fest, which I always go to as a vendor. I hope you schedule it on a weekend where there aren't 20 things happening. Since it's a local-ish event, perhaps you don't even need to hold it during the cluttered summer season?

• Like 2

I enjoyed getting to meet everyone as well, including a couple of potential new AA members to join us.  Many thanks to Mr. F. Potato and the lovely Amanda for the team effort in putting together a righteous little gathering.

Yeah, the fun part of planning is trying to accommodate everything going on around or at the same time to make sure some people do not have to travel too much or make it at all.

I just did GameOn Expo in Phoenix and 99/4ATX in one weekend. While I definitely had fun at both events, it was a bit hard on me -- Saturday night I dragged myself back to the hotel after dinner, but you know how it goes when your body is revolting against you and you brain just will not shut off.  Finally got some good hard sleep and Sunday worked out to be the perfect pace.

Now we just wait to see if "FartFan" shows up here at AA :)  Oh, and I will happily take more of the "you know, I figured you'd be older" comments!  That is how I keep my youthful appearance at 103 years-old :D

• Like 3