IGNORED

Intellivision Season 12 Begin date JANUARY 25TH

2 hours ago, Bamse said:

Most games run around 18 percent alower on Pal due to it being 50 hertz. Some actually run faster such as Old School. In reality, I think the speed difference is negligible. I play a lot in both emulation and on Pal hardware and I can't tell the difference. If I ran them side by side I might but individually no. For instance, I'm not too shabby at Lock n chase, a game that is all about timing. I'm not effected by changing from playing disc speed on my laptop or on the real hardware but changing the difficulty level of the game, does mess up my timing until I adjust to it.

Eighteen percent would compare against 25% slower when running exec speed keypad 1.  So not quite as slow as that.  But for some of these cartridges like locknchase and burgertime, playing at slower exec speeds doesn't change the difficulty otherwise.  Others like AD&D don't change the exec speed at all but do change the difficulty.

3 hours ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

Adventures of Tron

Sub Hunt

Skiing

Golf

Dreadnaught Factor

Stampede

I like all of these options as well.  I haven't really done a deep dive on any of them, but HSC is the perfect way to really get to know a game.

Not sure about Adventures of Tron, don’t know much about that one. I would prefer Tron Deadly Discs but I know that was recently played here...plus I’m just the new guy. ?

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Eighteen percent would compare against 25% slower when running exec speed keypad 1.  So not quite as slow as that.  But for some of these cartridges like locknchase and burgertime, playing at slower exec speeds doesn't change the difficulty otherwise.  Others like AD&D don't change the exec speed at all but do change the difficulty.

I still think it makes little difference in reality. Of course, if people think it's unfair for me to play because I am in a Pal territory, I won't play.

I think quite a few players do play on Pal machines though.

This is for fun so you can use whatever region system, emulator, controller you like; but you really should get up to speed : ) .  I bet there are some pal/secam intellivision players out there that don't even know they are playing at a slower speed.  I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from participating.

• Like 1

Yeah, i know that's not what you were saying and I stand by my statement that it makes little difference in the real world plus, a slow speed even a slight one can be a disadvantage as well as an advantage.

As you say, this is for fun and a lot of fun it is. I swap between emulation and real hardware depending on where I am when the round starts and ends. I've never thought to pic one over the other for speed reasons.

I'd like to get a ntsc Intellivision at some point so it would be interesting to see if the games look and sound funny to me. Seeing as I grew up with Pal.

16 hours ago, Bamse said:

Yeah, i know that's not what you were saying and I stand by my statement that it makes little difference in the real world plus, a slow speed even a slight one can be a disadvantage as well as an advantage.

As you say, this is for fun and a lot of fun it is. I swap between emulation and real hardware depending on where I am when the round starts and ends. I've never thought to pic one over the other for speed reasons.

I'd like to get a ntsc Intellivision at some point so it would be interesting to see if the games look and sound funny to me. Seeing as I grew up with Pal.

You will get used to it. ;) 

• Like 1

I'm a little late to the party here, but I would love to see (as others have suggested) some more unusual choices. Some of my picks would be:

- Safecracker

- Microsurgeon (I know the scoring is a little wonky, but I think we could all live with that)

- Scooby Do's Maze Chase (Maybe a custom map could be used... Might be really interesting.)

- Vectron (perennially hated, but great for people shooting for scores)

- Tron: Solar Sailer (I would be fascinated to see how people approach this one)

- Ice Trek/Tropical Trouble (instead of usual favorite, Beauty and the Beast)

- Ninja Odyssey (a really good game if you are looking to improve over time)

- Any of the games that Rev recently released on the game vault. (Copter Command? Missile Domination?)

- Deep Zone (So polished and so fun, plus I would like to understand how to play this better. The IntyBASIC version is free.)

Those are just some of the ideas I had. Take them or leave them. I won't be the least bit offended. [emoji3]

I'm just excited about the return of the high score club. Could we also think about some prizes? Maybe for the top 3-5 competitors? People who participate in every round? Just thinking out loud here....

Anyway... I really look forward to the competition.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

I've never played much Safecracker, Microsurgeon, Vectron, or Tron Solar Sailor.  So those would be a nice step out of my comfort zone.

Just a heads up, there are in fact manuals for all of the above games. 

As you were....

• Haha 1

Suggestions, still open until noted otherwise... I will select games not played in last Seasons lineup.

Here's the schedule of Intellivison HSC, not sure if I will include voting polls.

- Every week a NEW game cycle starts Monday - Its a two week contest but with a new game starting inbetween on Mondays! Game rounds close on Sunday 12:00AM (Midnight Eastern Time Zone). You have a total of "two weeks" time to submit a valid score for each game. (Any exceptions will be noted)

• Like 1

The last suggestion I will give is that we consider playing any and all of the Intellivoice games. I know that I mentioned Solar Sailer before, but B17 Bomber, Bomb Squad and Space Spartans also have score components. I don't know how much they have been played in the High Score Club, but they are all games I would not mind digging in to a little more.

Also, if I understand the rules correctly, we are going to be playing two games at the same time each week, except the first and last weeks of the competition, right? Is it ten games again, and we end around November 2nd?

Thanks!

• Like 1

You can drop eight six bombs on one target and multiply your score eight times.  At the end you're better off crashing your plane then taking all the negative point hits.  

I played this game a lot but never bothered to keep track of score.  Maybe it works but I prefer to go for more targets.

Edited by mr_me

15 hours ago, mr_me said:

You can drop eight bombs on one target and multiply your score eight times.  At the end you're better off crashing your plane then taking all the negative point hits.  

I played this game a lot but never bothered to keep track of score.  Maybe it works but I prefer to go for more targets.

True but quite a few games have exploits though. Tropical Trouble and Beauty and the beast to name two. I didn't realise until recently that you multiply the score for each target for every hit.

I think as long as everyone knows these quirks, it's fair.

You're probably right, B17 Bomber should work.  Maximise your score by hitting factories with multiple bombs.  For further targets you really have to know how much fuel to carry.   I just never liked wasting bombs.  I'd drop a few on anti aircraft targets because they are hard to hit but only worth a single point.  The way I played, I usually ended up with negative points.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You're probably right, B17 Bomber should work.  Maximise your score by hitting factories with multiple bombs.  For further targets you really have to know how much fuel to carry.   I just never liked wasting bombs.  I'd drop a few on anti aircraft targets because they are hard to hit but only worth a single point.

I'm with you there. It's the difference I suppose between playing the game the way you like it, the way you (I) enjoy playing it compared to the way to play it to maximise score for competitions.

• Like 1

Dont really care what games are chosen , but I think quick and less complicated games is the way to go with a HSC games.. But im easy what ever you chose. Your choices in the past HSC  games you have ran have been great.. 

Cheers and thanks again for running another HSC.... 

• Like 3

On 8/17/2019 at 10:21 AM, dpisacane said:

The last suggestion I will give is that we consider playing any and all of the Intellivoice games. I know that I mentioned Solar Sailer before, but B17 Bomber, Bomb Squad and Space Spartans also have score components. I don't know how much they have been played in the High Score Club, but they are all games I would not mind digging in to a little more.

Also, if I understand the rules correctly, we are going to be playing two games at the same time each week, except the first and last weeks of the competition, right? Is it ten games again, and we end around November 2nd?

Thanks!

Correct, yes. So next week a new game will appear... and the first game will still have 1 week left to play as well.

Then game 1 ends, and game 3 appears, with game 2 having 1 more week to go. 

I plan about 15 game season I think? and also will see if I can put a Voice game or two into the season. I don't think any have been played this far.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...