IGNORED

NES-style Gamepad for ColecoVision - Any Good?

sixersfan105

Has anyone purchased this gamepad (picture below) by RetroGameBoyz (on eBay and Etsy) for ColecoVision? It's an NES-style pad and seems like a good alternative to the original OEM controllers. Of course, for games that make considerable use of the keypad (not all that many), you are better off using the original controllers, but this seemed like it might be worth the pickup for the majority of ColecoVision games. The feedback for this gamepad on eBay is pretty solid. How about here on AA? Anybody have one (or two)? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-Controller-Control-Pad-Joystick-Joypad-Gamepad-works-with-Atari-too/264027449513

299095663_NESStyle.jpg.a6fc699a0b26913a04a6d9435fd7f913.jpg

Without keypad functionality, unless hot-swapping controllers or using something like a Champ Adaptor, how to select numeric difficulty level / # of players to progress to actual gameplay (as with the bulk of 80s-era games), though?

The "most games" work and "I chose a configuration that I found to be very common" seem potentially problematic ... curious as to whether that means the start button is mapped to enter a sequence that selects (only) one-player, difficulty-one. That the seller/maker cannot be bothered to list out crucial details is unfathomable.

Yeah, fair points for sure. Here's another picture that goes into a little greater detail on his Etsy page:

Coleco.jpg.2b2c969a756ced943abb86e0e2dd6497.jpg

But I agree that it might be more trouble than it's worth. I do see where @TPR provided a nice video review of this gamepad here on AA. Took me a little while to find it since it's buried in the Collectorvision Phoenix Kickstarter thread that was locked back in November.

4 hours ago, evg2000 said:

where can one get a y adapter these days without building there own?  I just designed PCBs to make a y adapter, waiting for them to arrive.

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Female-Serial-Splitter/dp/B0016SP1DQ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Nurmix was selling the molded ones here for $18, same ones that are $50 one eBay, except he was making them himself. Don't know if he's making them now. He is working on the Amico I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evg2000 said:

where can one get a y adapter these days without building there own?  I just designed PCBs to make a y adapter, waiting for them to arrive.

BTW, for one player, you can use the NES CV controller in port one and a keypad controller in port 2, at least to get rollin'. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Swami said:

BTW, for one player, you can use the NES CV controller in port one and a keypad controller in port 2, at least to get rollin'. 

If I'm not mistaken, there are some games where the player 2 controller cannot make skill/player selections. It might only be games where 1 controller is handed back in forth, like Defender, I don't remember.  I don't think it's many games though where this is the case.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I purchased one of these gamepads today. Michael Tarallo (the guy who goes by "Retro Game Boyz") made a post on the AA Marketplace Facebook group about his Robotron controller for Atari 7800, so I used that as an opportunity to reach out to him to see what he would sell his CV gamepad for outside of eBay/Etsy. He's willing to do $35 shipped if you're comfortable with PayPal friends and family. They are $43.45 inclusive of shipping but plus tax on eBay, so it's a nice little discount. I dealt with him through Facebook Messenger and he seems like a good guy. Will update again once I have received it and get a chance to play with it on my ColecoVision recently purchased from the one, the only @mumbai!

40 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Update: I purchased one of these gamepads today. Michael Tarallo (the guy who goes by "Retro Game Boyz") made a post on the AA Marketplace Facebook group about his Robotron controller for Atari 7800, so I used that as an opportunity to reach out to him to see what he would sell his CV gamepad for outside of eBay/Etsy. He's willing to do $35 shipped if you're comfortable with PayPal friends and family. They are $43.45 inclusive of shipping but plus tax on eBay, so it's a nice little discount. I dealt with him through Facebook Messenger and he seems like a good guy. Will update again once I have received it and get a chance to play with it on my ColecoVision recently purchased from the one, the only @mumbai!

He was super good to deal with when I bought mine. He even made a change to his controller design so that games that use the two side buttons for a third action when pressed together (like Tutankham) worked before I purchased.

6 minutes ago, zaphro72 said:

He was super good to deal with when I bought mine. He even made a change to his controller design so that games that use the two side buttons for a third action when pressed together (like Tutankham) worked before I purchased.

Glad you had a good experience with him. Oh wow, that's great to know about the third action!

On 8/12/2019 at 10:22 PM, Swami said:

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Female-Serial-Splitter/dp/B0016SP1DQ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Nurmix was selling the molded ones here for $18, same ones that are $50 one eBay, except he was making them himself. Don't know if he's making them now. He is working on the Amico I think.

Does anyone know if using a Sega Genesis 3 button arcade stick or Atari 7800 pad work with these adapters? Do the buttons on these pads work with the adapter? Ofcourse I'm not expecting the 3rd button on the Genesis stick to work but as long as the other two would this would be great. I went ahead ordered the adapter from Amazon,thanks for the link?

s-l640.jpg

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

With a Genesis controller and a Y-Cable, you will only get 8 direction + 1 button compatibility from the Genesis controller, and keypad 12-button compatibility with the keypad controller plugged into 2nd end of the Y cable (without modification).  For a 2 button arcade stick to work on your ColecoVision try one of these:

zicR8B.jpg

Just updating here: the adapter I inquired about does infact work with a 7800 controller. Both buttons infact. Woohoo!  I'm using an Ebay bought custom made 7800 arcade Sanwa stick thats encased in one of those fish and tack boxs,the adapter works great with it. Both buttons working?

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol