IGNORED

5200 programming languages

I know the 5200 is essentially an Atari 8-bit. I would like to create some games for the 5200 but I don't want to build them from scratch in assembler. Am I right in understanding Action!, C, Pascal won't work because they need a runtime file. is there a programming language that can use on a 5200 other than assembler?

There was also 5200 BASIC. It was a suite of programs<if that is the right word> with a BASIC like language that would be translated to an assembly language then run through an assembler and burned into a cartridge. 

In theory you could do a program in Action! It would just need a few routines written as a wrapper to make it work. Probably more trouble then it is worth since if you are going that route, might as well just do it in assembler. 

There are short cuts you can take, a few commercial cartridges did this, like using the built in 16k RAM to run your program. Some programs that were written for the 800/400 to run from cassettes were put into a cartridge and the only thing initiate code did in the cartridge was copy the original program to RAM and run from there.

I've used CC65 to write programs for the NES. It wasn't really a satisfying experience in that at the time the only thing CC65 supported directly was a low level text screen output. Suitable for a things like Adventure or Infocom games but not exactly feature laden.

Anyway, take a look at 5200 BASIC if you can find it. I think it is the closest thing to what you are asking.

We would need to know how ambitious your games would be in terms of graphics, sound effects, animations, and gameplay. If you don't want to go low level for asm, then cc65 or Mad Pascal are probably good candidates.

Anyone knows of a game for 5200 with HLL source code available?

8 hours ago, ricortes said:

I haven't checked it for completeness or running under W10 for instance. A couple of games were written in it ~Klondike Solitaire and a couple of demos. It uses the TASM assembler which is a command line IBM program. 

5200bas.zip 408.89 kB · 1 download

thanks, I'll look at it too.