IGNORED

New SDrive-MAX cases

Mr Robot

5 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

Here is what mine look like, mine also have a power LED, activity LED and power selector switch.

Thanks to @Mr Robot for the great base design to work with! 

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/sale

IMG_6543.JPG

IMG_6532.JPG

This looks nice. The name in the grey strip is a detail I like a lot. Personally I would go for the text ATARI SDRIVE-MAX instead of ATARI 1050S

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swami said:

Do the sdrive max’s sold now come with ATX and daisy chain support built in?

4 hours ago, tajvdz said:

Yes to both

Yes as to ATX support only. "Daisy chain support" very much depends on who you buy your SDrive-MAX from. As an open-source project, anyone can buy an Arduino UNO clone and compatible screen, load it up with the firmware and sell it to whomever they wish. So it's best to confirm with whomever you buy from that it is not only loaded up with the latest firmware, but also has the add-on circuit modification to support coexisting with other SIO devices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

It's a good excuse to get a 3d printer :D

I'm thinking that too, postage costs have killed me buying anything from the USA, well that and the £ being worth nothing 

So, would one of the super cheap £65 printers suffice or are they more trouble than they are worth? I have no budget really so the Ender-3 although relatively cheap is still out of my league 

1 hour ago, mimo said:

I'm thinking that too, postage costs have killed me buying anything from the USA, well that and the £ being worth nothing 

So, would one of the super cheap £65 printers suffice or are they more trouble than they are worth? I have no budget really so the Ender-3 although relatively cheap is still out of my league 

Not sure which one you are looking at, but it comes down to print volume. Whatever you want to print has to be equal or smaller than the print volume. 

the problem with buying 3-D printed things is that 3-D printers are slow. Many relatively simple things can take the better part of a day to print. 

for me, if I had something that took 8 hours to print, I might be able to do 3 per day because I have to sleep and go to work. 

it’s just not worth it for me to print things for people and charge them. 

so, things cost more than they “should” to have printed, printers have reached the point where it’s quite possible that if you have 2 or 3 things printed, you could have bought a printer. 

• Like 1

Like I said earlier I have a Sdrive-max with an XL case. I did some research for other cases but I still think this design is one of the nicest. However there are some minor things that I would add to the design. 

If you look at the case here there are some modifications done to the XL case but none of them are perfect in my eyes.

Here is what i would like to see:

- I think the cable is on the wrong side. I would prefer it on the side with the connections. So the hole they made for the cable is useless and need to be closed. A new hole can be made after printing so no need to add a hole I think.

- I would prefer a stylusholder like Chuckcaley has. Only thing is it comes to the front because after I moved the cable to the other side the back becomes the new front. Or maybe it is possible to put the stylusholder on the other side as well? For that I need how it looks like when the stylus is in the holder.

- I would mount the sio switch to the case. I think the other side of the stlysholder would be the best. I also think that this modification can be made after printing.

- I would also add the 2 leds to the case like the 810 and 1050 case has. I think the side where the cable originally was would be the best. I also think this can be done after printing.

- I like the name SDrive-Max printed on the case like Gavin Haubelt or Macrorie has. Only thing, because I flip the case, the text would be upside down so has to be flipped as well. 

With these modifications the case would be perfect. I think the case looks better printed in the same color as the the 1050 case, so I would use a beige color.

I'm not into 3D printing at all. But can someone tell me if it is easy to change the design a bit? If you read my points above I would like Gavin Haubelt's design with the text flipped, adding a stylus holder like Chuckcaley has and removing the hole for the cable. The other modifications for the cable, switch and leds can be made after printing. 

I'm curious what others think of this.

Twan

Edited by tajvdz

1 hour ago, tajvdz said:

If you read my points above I would like Gavin Haubelt's design with the text flipped, adding a stylus holder like Chuckcaley has and removing the hole for the cable. The other modifications for the cable, switch and leds can be made after printing. 

That's the great thing about open source! You have the case designs and a bit of software that can edit them for free. You want a thing, you can now make a thing. All you have to do is spend a little time learning how to make those changes. The satisfaction you will get from making your own version that is unique will be worth the effort. If you think it was a great success and you would like others to be able to use your case design, be sure to share it back to the community and enjoy everyone saying that their favorite case is the tajvdz case. Let me have your final stl and I'll add it to the page.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

That's the great thing about open source! You have the case designs and a bit of software that can edit them for free. You want a thing, you can now make a thing. All you have to do is spend a little time learning how to make those changes. The satisfaction you will get from making your own version that is unique will be worth the effort. If you think it was a great success and you would like others to be able to use your case design, be sure to share it back to the community and enjoy everyone saying that their favorite case is the tajvdz case. Let me have your final stl and I'll add it to the page.

well like I said I don't know anything about 3D printing. I spent lots of time learning all kind of things but I think it takes too much time to get what i want then. So too bad the other designs are just not how I would see it myself. 

Is there someone who has a photo of a XL case with stylusholder? I only saw it on a photo with a 1050 case on it.

Another thing. I mentioned 2 cased that have text printed on the case. is it possible to have the case in white and the text in black? Gavin Haubelt has cases in 2 colors but I was wondering if it is possible to have only the text in black

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/sdrive-max-case-only

On 1/7/2020 at 11:31 AM, tajvdz said:

I was wondering if it is possible to have only the text in black

If you have the text raised it can be done fairly easily but it will increase the material usage a lot because of all the supports required to print it , if you want the text flush you'll need a printer with dual extruders.

A lot of people will print text indented and fill in the indents using nail varnish and a syringe, it works quite well apparently but I've never done it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

If you have the text raised it can be done fairly easily but it will increase the material usage a lot because of all the supports required to print it , if you want the text flush you'll need a printer with dual extruders.

A lot of people will print text indented and fill in the indents using nail varnish and a syringe, it works quite well apparently but I've never done it

ok, thank you. How hard is it to combine 2 stl files and use the best of both so the result is one stl file to use for printing?

3 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

ok, thank you. How hard is it to combine 2 stl files and use the best of both so the result is one stl file to use for printing?

Like most things, it depends on the complexity of the stl files and the skills of the person doing it.

It's not like you can just concatenate them. You have to open them in an editor and munge around with them.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:31 PM, tajvdz said:

I mentioned 2 cased that have text printed on the case. is it possible to have the case in white and the text in black? Gavin Haubelt has cases in 2 colors but I was wondering if it is possible to have only the text in black

https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/sdrive-max-case-only

Another way to do this is to put indented text on the case and then print the letters separatly in another color and glue them into the indentations. I did something like this with a base I made for a nutcracker I printed from Thingiverse.

featured_preview_IMG_0270.thumb.jpg.213d0a385d4261a38f7a4ffe74e4e16c.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4049157

• Like 2

well what I want is use the XL case with penholder and add the text upside down because I want the sio cable on the other side. I also want to close the hole that is now on the case for the cable. Gavin's design also has something for the sio switch. I would prefer that on the opposite side of the penholder.

Edited by tajvdz