IGNORED

New SDrive-MAX cases

Mr Robot

I was wondering if it is possible to make a significant change to the XL case. I really like the case but I find the ventilation holes a bit useless. I think it will look much better to have these closed but keeping the structure. I have seperate leds connected to my Sdrive so I don't like to see the leds on the Arduino itself through these holes. It will look like on the original 1010 or the smaller replica cases (810, 1050).

what do you think about this?

83856926_187944662569647_5509912754040864768_n.jpg

84478457_782119072307873_5694498555658502144_n.jpg

Edited by tajvdz
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm still trying to change the design of the XL case a bit. Is someone able to help me with it?

The most important changes that I want is to flip the case so that the cable comes out of the side where the connections are, to close the centilation holes but keeping the structure and to add a stylus holder.

I hope someone is able to give me some advise!

4 minutes ago, Tickled_Pink said:

The ventilation holes aren't necessarily useless. They save a little plastic. ?

well that won't be much. If printing the whole case costs about $ 5 material it doesn't make sense at all. I think it will look much better and you don't see the leds blinking inside. 

4 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

Hello, I'm still trying to change the design of the XL case a bit. Is someone able to help me with it?

The most important changes that I want is to flip the case so that the cable comes out of the side where the connections are, to close the centilation holes but keeping the structure and to add a stylus holder.

Well, if you really want to close the ventilation holes but keep the structure of the holes, what I would do is extrude inwards a little bit and then bridge the polygons on either side of the extrusions. That would close up the holes.

Original
2020-05-14.thumb.png.cdcc86d798f8f5ab35a0b3a26eb29213.png

Add extrusion to the inner faces

990451103_2020-05-14(1).thumb.png.629ca80d99df4f28dcf7c860fd173498.png

Select sides of new extrusions

1777735717_2020-05-14(2).thumb.png.0056f5bafbd29608f5685bc4a33a2f8b.png

And Bridge them together

1928666964_2020-05-14(3).thumb.png.361ef28f5e35bd0e8f4b6d9e83776a3a.png

Well, that's how I'd do it in Max anyway.

ok, well I never used such software before. Some advised me to use Thinkercad. I don't even have a 3D printer myself. I only have some ideas on how to improve the design of the XL case so I can use it for my Sdrive Max... I saw some variations of the plain XL several cases ( and also some total different designs) and they all have something that would make the original design much better. So what I have in mind is adding them all to one design. But like I said I don't have any experience with software and 3D printing..

2 hours ago, tajvdz said:

well that won't be much. If printing the whole case costs about $ 5 material it doesn't make sense at all. I think it will look much better and you don't see the leds blinking inside. 

Are you crazy? the blinking lights are most important 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, tajvdz said:

Show me your progress, I'll see if I can help.

2 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Show me your progress, I'll see if I can help.

well I don't have much to show.. There are some variations posted here but they don't have the closes holes...

I can see if i can find the one that comes most close...

You said you were still trying to change the case a bit, you first posted about this in Feb, you must have managed some of the changes by now! Post pics of your progress, I'll try to help with advice on how to use tinkercad to achieve the things you are stuck on.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:20 PM, Mr Robot said:

You said you were still trying to change the case a bit, you first posted about this in Feb, you must have managed some of the changes by now! Post pics of your progress, I'll try to help with advice on how to use tinkercad to achieve the things you are stuck on.

ok, i will do that. It is true that I asked for it a while back. Sompe people promised to help me but didn't hear from them anymore..

4 hours ago, tajvdz said:

ok, i will do that. It is true that I asked for it a while back. Sompe people promised to help me but didn't hear from them anymore..

I think that was criticism directed at me. To be fair, I DID help you, but you kept asking for more and more. We discussed this in private and I thought you understood that I did not have unlimited time, but apparently not.

10 hours ago, toddtmw said:

I think that was criticism directed at me. To be fair, I DID help you, but you kept asking for more and more. We discussed this in private and I thought you understood that I did not have unlimited time, but apparently not.

No that was not directed to you. 

5 hours ago, chuckcaley said:

Something like this?

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Yes this looks good!

what I have so far is the enclosed file but it doesn't have the gaps filled.

The file I have has the stylus holder on the other side, but I think this is much better.

The lead hole on that side yes but not at the bottom but a bit higher.

What is missing in my stl file are holes for the 2 leds and the switch. I think the only place to put them is on the front. Leds left of the Atari logo and switch right of the Atari logo. 

So I think if you continue with your file is to add the text on top and the logo on the front and move the hole for the lead a bit higher and center it between the 2 connections. And at last to add a hole for the switch with the letters S and E and 2 small holes for the leds. I do have an example of the switch. It was done on another case.

case.jpg

SDRive Max Case Tweaks-3.stl

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 2:46 AM, remowilliams said:

Just found out about these, and printed one today.  It's perfect!  Thank you @Mr Robot for the hard work on these and for releasing the files :)

sdrive_max_1050.1.thumb.jpg.f2d73876222d5dda68d8a42c6e63c215.jpg

The case I have in mind is a bit of a combination between this one and the XL case.. To be honest I don't like the case to be a a smaller version of a diskdrive or tape recorder. But I do like the extra features like switch and leds..