Faicuai

Fast Basic v4.x-Beta: Crash / Lock...

Posted (edited)

OK, here's one that got me off-line for quite a bit, but I expect should be solved easily... (could not find a separate thread specifically for this purpose, though...)

Mind you that this one causes a complete lock-up of the machine (probably stuck at infinity loop). After quite a good deal of "gymnastics", I managed to narrow it down to this:

10 zI=1: S=100-xI  (then CTRL-R)

Yes, it looks like nothing... but it dies. It seems that an "in-line" (after ":") algebraic declaration involving a non-declared variable is the main offender.

WORKAROUND: you will need to split the statement after ":" in two separate lines, the parser catches the error successfully, and stops. If not... boom...

Edited by Faicuai

Posted (edited)

ah never mind...

you are trying to see what happens on errors...

and found nirvana  :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

ah never mind...

you are trying to see what happens on errors...

and found nirvana  :)

Remember the Strings thread?

I was working on revised version of Banana-sort, which ended up being much more complex than I thought... and I started working on Fast-Basic because it is MUCH easier and way faster o handle the code there... and made that little mistake... which took me quite a while to catch... plus having FB crashed upon compiling...

That's where it comes from... 🙂

Edited by Faicuai

A typo should NEVER be able to make the computer go into an endless loop.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

A typo should NEVER be able to make the computer go into an endless loop.

Correct!

Although it is tricky, I admit... it took me quite a while to figure out the offending line, and the actual error's mechanics.

But we are in Beta stage, so these things will only appear when digging deeper, and I am sure it will be corrected easily.

FastBasic is a FANTASTIC piece of work, and a permanent tool in my retro-arsenal, already! 🙂

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Hi!

On 8/12/2019 at 11:02 PM, Faicuai said:

Correct!

Although it is tricky, I admit... it took me quite a while to figure out the offending line, and the actual error's mechanics.

But we are in Beta stage, so these things will only appear when digging deeper, and I am sure it will be corrected easily.

FastBasic is a FANTASTIC piece of work, and a permanent tool in my retro-arsenal, already! 🙂

Thanks, and thank you foro the bug report.

The problem was that the parser was not consuming the ':' between statements on errors, so it kept trying to parse the line over and over.

Bug fixed and test case added, current BETA version attached - source is on github as always: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic

Please, try this version as I could not test this parser change a lot.

Have Fun!

fastbasic.atr

• Like 7

11 hours ago, dmsc said:

Hi!

Thanks, and thank you foro the bug report.

The problem was that the parser was not consuming the ':' between statements on errors, so it kept trying to parse the line over and over.

Bug fixed and test case added, current BETA version attached - source is on github as always: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic

Please, try this version as I could not test this parser change a lot.

Have Fun!

fastbasic.atr 130.02 kB · 8 downloads

It works sweet, indeed!

Now that we are focusing on the Parser, I am throwing at it all wrenches I can think of... If I find anything unusual, I will report it on this thread.

Cheers and keep up the F-AMAZING work!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1