IGNORED

My Mini TI System Is Complete

Omega-TI

You've lost me, I'm missing something here, or I'm further gone than I realize.  If the supply voltage is within specifications 5V for USB, and voltage (E) is the electromotive force, why would this be of concern over a cheap wall wart?  Do you simply not trust the step down circuitry of the UPS?  If there is another reason, I'd like to know because it should be arriving in a couple of days. 

• Like 1

I originally thought I ruined a NANOPEB by using a bad ps. Turned out it was the speech synth that did it, not the cheap ps. It happened twice with that damn speech card!! I've got two other NANOPEBs and no probs because I'm not hooking up a speech synth.

I'm running rpi wireless and rpi3+ with cheap power..no issues...

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

I've had some bad exp. with A.C. inverters(worse with UPS), esp.the square wave types. Blown a lot of low power items, like compact florescents, small low freq., low power wall warts. Also the the output choppers sometimes fail in a closed state, sending 145vdc to the output! Oddly, this is not a catastrophic problem for most A.C. devices.

Sorry if my interest seemed prurient...
Sometimes love's not all it's supposed to be!

...and I do love my TIPI!

I was exaggerating, to be humorous. Hopefully it will be alright. Worth an attempt if truly desired though! Also don't want to hurt my orig. ROM.

I promise not to say: I TOLD YOU SO(after the smoke clears)!:-o:skull::ponder:

• Haha 1

I hear a ramdisk is being built for purchase soon, tipi may be coming out again...I can't wait! I want both. 

Does anyone have docs on how I can send screen / keyboard data over tipi to ( whatever device, another TI tipi,server, etc)?

Edited by GDMike

The USB output of the 600M1 is not linked to the inverter.  It is a proper 5VDC power supply providing up to 1.5A, though I have not tested it for voltage drop at higher current draw.  I have used it to power USB devices, including Ubiquity CloudKeys and TI devices.

Again, I have not given it a thorough test, so I will warn about a potential problem which often plagues USB chargers: they are usually only designed for charging and often will reference the output to the line input (meaning if you measure voltage from the output to the utility neutral, you will read full utility voltage.)  This can also cause noise in audio circuits, and worse, moderate voltage running across device interconnects.

So, yeah, it is a valid fear, and one which should be tested.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

I hear a ramdisk is being built for purchase soon, tipi may be coming out again...I can't wait! I want both. 

Does anyone have docs on how I can send screen / keyboard data over tipi to ( whatever device, another TI tipi,server, etc)?

I'm waiting patiently for the new PCB to replace the internal power supply in the console.  From what I understand it'll be an easy to switch out board that will work with the Mean Well external power unit.  Hopefully it'll also have a power tap for a USB power plug.  Of course many of us are waiting for the new F18A Mk2.  Those two items and a Jedimatt42 USB keyboard adapter and I'll be set for life (hopefully).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Not gonna happen.  You get power hungry and always look toward the Next ThingTM.

Busted!  Guilty as charged, you know me too well. ?

To clarify, I was only talking about the keyboard console, I make no promises when it comes to "plug in accessories".  Seriously though, after a fancy new video card, Wifi keyboard, power supply upgrade and even a USB port for power, what else could there be?

6 hours ago, Airshack said:

May need a thread for remote 99er activities. Where’s the most remote location you’ve played ENK?

The den I'm sorry to say.  One needs 32K attached.  I'll be running a straight console for the video as part of the theme.  So I'm thinking Dragon's Lair for sure and maybe the FlashROM or FinalGROM.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I was thinking about a UPS.  BTW, those 600M1 units have a pretty good run-time at half-load even with a battery half the size of the older comparable units (a 7Ah RBC1 or 9Ah RBC17.)

Install the PowerChute software on your computer, hook up the USB data cable, and you can see the draw of connect equipment and the estimated run-time.

Can << THIS >> PowerChute software be used on the both the 600M1's and the Xs 1500's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Yeah, otherwise it will beep constantly while unplugged.

But the $64,000 question.  I currently have it plugged into the XS-1500, will the program handle the 600M1 with no issues if I swap devices?

** EDIT **

Installed a copy on the old Win7 laptop.  

When I'm not using it with the TI, I have it doing duty in the bedroom to power a clock and a couple of lamps with LED light bulbs.  On full brightness, the UPS does not even register a draw, so I should get 6 hours or normal lighting in the event of a power outage.  ?

Win7-Install.thumb.jpg.9292692d308db015853ea40f5fad35c3.jpg