IGNORED

Controller disc and keypad color variation?

IMBerzerk

Just curious on this topic.  I recently purchased a Sears SVA unit from an AA member, and shortly after, another one on eBay.  I immediately noticed there was a difference in the gold color of the controllers, on/off switch and reset button between the two units.  I took out a third SSVA unit I had, sure enough there was.  That one was more silver in color than the other two.  All three of these units are original to my best knowledge.

Moving on to the Mattel unit, then the Sylvania and finally my Tandy unit.  The Sylvania has a very metallic/silver look.  The Tandy is more gold shaded, with the Mattel being close to the same. Whereas the Sears units actually look more gold in color, but different shades between production years.

Was this the case with these models, all being sold under different labels, or am I just seeing things?  If there are color variations in the controllers, what years are the deepest color gold?   I would think first generation models?

More fun INTV triva...?

Thanks for the clarification. 

JR

I've never seen a GTE Sylvania Intellivision in person but from photos the panels on the console do look silvery.  Do the controllers match?

I believe the GTE Sylvanias were among the earliest intellivisions, made in usa 1980 along with Mattel intellivisions.  The Tandyvisions among the last, made in Hong Kong in 1982.  Sears intellivisions made in hong kong in 1981-82.  And Mattel Intellivision throughout.

Edited by mr_me

I have a Sears unit with 1979 on the bottom.  I'm out for a week, but when I get back home I'll post pics of my Sylvania, and the Sears units with dates.

You are definitely correct that the Sylvania unit is more silver in color. From what I remember, they match the controllers as well.

Edited by IMBerzerk

By 1979 do you mean the copyright date in the plastic mold.  Intellivisions made in 1979 would be rare.

Intellivision wasn't in the 1980 Sears Christmas catalog but that doesn't mean it wasn't in stores (I'd be surprised if they were).  If you have a sears intellivision made in USA it probably was made in 1980.

Edited by mr_me

The date indicates the copyright of the mold not the year it was manufactured. You can see where they scratched out USA in the mold and added Hong Kong underneath.  

Serial numbers in the database for sears intellivisions only go up to about 167k; so yours are slightly newer than average.

Edit:. My personal intellivision, which was bought new in 1982, also says copyright 1979 hong kong.  But that text was moved from the side to the center front.

Edited by mr_me

• 2 months later...